mosquitos

simonsmoo

Sep 24, 2006
I've been told that taking Malaria tablets makes you feel ill, we are going to Cabarete in a couple of weeks. Some have advised- don't take them.
xThanksx

Pookey

Sep 11, 2006
I have also read that its really important that you DO NOT DRINK alcohol when taking the medication as well.

We were in Puerto Plata in 2005 with the bad flu bug that went through the country and we were fine as well as we just used DEET for the mosquito's.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
No to the malaria pills, and YES to lots of DEET. It seems that the little buggers have been somewhat less of a problem in the last week or so, but they were out in force on the beach in Caberete last nite.
BTW dinner at Cassanova's was good last nite and all food and drink is 50% off between 5 and 7 PM. Good deal

Bob K

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Malaria Tablets

As my Doctor recommended I take them. I always take Nivaquin tablets, 2 tablets on the same day each week, starting 1 week before you leave and finishing 4 weeks after you return.
Used them for the past 5 years and no problems yet.
Regards
Keith

chrisandmike

Sep 26, 2006
We are travelling to Puerto Plata on October 8th and are still in a big dilemma as to whether or not to take the chloroquine that our doctor has recommended. We need to make a decision by Sunday 1st October.

Just how bad are the side effects if we do take them.
and
how dangerous is it not to take them? if we spray liberally with DEET

Post here or via PM please

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
CDC (Center for Disease Control) of the US does not recommend taking them. Dominican physicians do not recommend this for any of their Dominican or foreign patients. Ask the question to foreigners who live in this country if they have ever taken the pills?

chrisandmike

Sep 26, 2006
Travelling to Puerto Plata on 8th October worrying whether or not to take Chloroquine tablets that Dr. has recommended. Are the side effects worse than the risk? Helpful advice urgently needed by Sun. 1st October.

Sorry - first timers!!!! thought first post hadn't taken

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
chris and mike: Do not take anything. Get a goodly supply of a good bug repellant and use it mornings and evenings. Also use socks and long, light trousers or pants. Skin, especially nice, new foreign skin attracts the mosquitos like bees to flowers...
There are local brands, available most everywhere, called "Deporte" and it works, too.

Oh yeah, this is 40+ years of experience here speaking to you with no, not one, incidents of mosquito borne illnesses.

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never taken anything in my 8 trips...nor has my doctor (who is quite attentive) even suggested taking any pills.

I do use bug spray in the evening...especialy before going to bed cuz if not one of those little buzzers will surely find my ear and keep me up all night!

THe only precaution i take before traveling is to eat yogurt for a week or two before hand. It has enzymes that help prevent stomach issues (which i have also never had there..and on my first trip i even drank some local water!

I normaly stay in the south...and never had a prob with skeeters...are they worse in the north?

I think i would be more concerned about bed-bugs with all about them in the news these days here in NYC. The thought of them terrifies me. Just wouldnt want to take them home with me and infest my bed.