Is there anyplace in DR better than Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jondaba

Sep 26, 2006
I love sosua for all the things that make it famous. Is there any place in DR better?

Jun 5, 2004
Well The Domininican Republic is beatiful anywhere you turn. My preference would go to Cabarete/Sosua but everyone has a different opinion.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Depends

It depends on what you are looking for. If the question is of the rhetorical ones then yes Sosua is probably the best in what it has to offer. The town is small yet has all of the amenities such as banks, super markets, real estate offices, mechanics, car rental centers, hotels, good restaurants and pubs as well as clubs. It is centrally located on the north coast which is not too far from Puerto Plata and it's sister town Cabarete as well as not too far from Santiago.

However, for the same reasons that make it a magnet for many it is also an eyesore to others. Prostitutes (both male and female), beggars, thieves and scam artists (not always the locals). The loud music, noise and pollution are also there just waiting for you.

I have and do business there (furniture and jeepeta rentals) and have enjoyed long term friendships that date back to the early 90s. I am there daily and live just outside of town. However, although I do enjoy Sosua I don't really enjoy Sosua compared to the beauty of the rest of this island. I own land in Jamao al Norte and consider it as my home.

As I just posted, it depends on what it is that you are looking for.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Ni loco!

I love sosua for all the things that make it famous. Is there any place in DR better?

From your other post I get the impression that you do not live in this country.
Visiting Sosúa is all right, the town may cater to your needs....
I for one, however, would not want to live there.
Better places?
Yes, many.

m'frog

BTW, welcome to this board.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Jondaba, in your opinion, what 'makes it famous'?

You did pose an interesting question, though... made me laugh as I hate to think it's the best DR has to offer - I've never heard anyone claim that before. It's just one flavor of DR. Taken alone, it's not very good at all. Combined with everything else the DR has to offer it's a great side dish.

If I had to describe Sosua to someone I'd say it's a one road, noisy, dirty ocean front town overrun with tourists on a low budget and prostitutes that cater to them. Of course, I'd quickly tell them it's a great place to get away from the real world, relax, and watch people make fools of themselves.

Personally, I prefer staying in Cabarete as it's a one road, noisy, dirty ocean front town overrun with tourists on a slightly higher budget and a few prostitutes that cater to them. Jarabacoa is a really nice get away, too. Boca Chica - thumbs down. Samana, Baharona are lovely but too far from everything. La Romana not worth the drive in my opinion. No experience with the Punta Cana area, but gut feeling is I wouldn't like it too much as my impression is a lot of big all-inclusives.

For real living and probably the 'best of DR', I'd choose Santiago or the capital. Real Dominicans working jobs not tied to the tourism industry, cultural venues, better restaurants, better stores, and nicer neighborhoods. And the beaches are nearby for the weekends.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Funny!

Guachupita
Now, that's funny but I don't think any of these people know where that is. Gracias a Dios que no dijiste "Jarro Sucio" o "Guaricano", lol.

There are many places much better than Sosua but it all depends what you are looking for.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sosua is nice as earlier stated. use sosua for a launching pad for other adventures. i would say the tours, easy bus routes around the country make it a decent place. as always where there is money/tourists there are women. next time you are in sosua contact Mel's tours and get away !!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If the person is so impressed with sosua then I guess he belongs there.
AZB

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Now, that's funny but I don't think any of these people know where that is. Gracias a Dios que no dijiste "Jarro Sucio" o "Guaricano", lol.

There are many places much better than Sosua but it all depends what you are looking for.

So where is Guachupita? Thanks... Canadian Bob. (A Costambarite)

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Is the OP asking because he/she is planning another trip and would like to visit someplace else in the DR? Or was that a rhetorical question? Have you been anywhere else in DR or even other islands?

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Will be in Sosua this Thrusday for 2 weeks, been going for 18 year's. Everytime I go I say I will go and see more of the DR and take some tours. But somthing happen to me I never get out of Sosua, I allways have the best time of my life and never want to leave. For so many year's I've been having so much fun and so many friends why break it.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Sosua is great for a one week break. It's gettin old if you stay longer. I agree Santiago is the place if you reside in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.