Free Business Idea - Minimal Investment

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If anyone is looking for a good business idea that won't take much $$ to start or to run, and has the potential to make a bunch of $$, here is one (I think):

Training dominican employees in LISTENING SKILLS. After several years in this country, this is still the one thing that really bugs me, and every dominican business with employees is losing tons of money because nobody who works for them listens. (The exception being where the owner meets customers face to face. The successful owners ALWAYS listen.)

Booking classes of 10 to 20 employees at a time with the larger employees should pay off handsomely. And, if the managers / owners are skeptical, run a contest of your trained employees versus their untrained employees, and if you know what you are doing, you will get the work for the rest of the business.

You would have to be fluent in Spanish, print business cards and maybe some brochures, invest in a tape recorder, and probably spend a few pesos on copies of handouts, but that's it.

Is anyone listening?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Add 'amplification equipment' because hearing is often as much of a problem as listening.
(not entirely ;))

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That's a real unique one..............

If anyone is looking for a good business idea that won't take much $$ to start or to run, and has the potential to make a bunch of $$, here is one (I think):

Training dominican employees in LISTENING SKILLS. After several years in this country, this is still the one thing that really bugs me, and every dominican business with employees is losing tons of money because nobody who works for them listens. (The exception being where the owner meets customers face to face. The successful owners ALWAYS listen.)

Booking classes of 10 to 20 employees at a time with the larger employees should pay off handsomely. And, if the managers / owners are skeptical, run a contest of your trained employees versus their untrained employees, and if you know what you are doing, you will get the work for the rest of the business.

Is anyone listing Quote?

I agree with you 100%...........of the nineteen Dominican males that work under me the most sucksesful are the ones that "SHUT UP AND LISTEN"
The others tend to talk them selves right out of a sale because they contiue to talk and don't give the client the oppertunity to tell them just what they want.
yes its a shame because I see many salespeople that just talk them selves in and out of sales that were there but board the client to death.
Your idea is good however its very hard to teach people to listen when its seconed nature to interupt and put your two cents worth in.

I remember I once sold a man who made screws for a living for over 25 years.
This man never got the chance to tell anyone about his job because all his family and friends did not give a Rats a** about his screw making abillities.
I asked this man about his job (and then I shut up) he went on for over an hour telling me everything I did not want to know about his profession.
When he was finished he asked me where do I sign..................
True Story of many.

Larry (A.K.A. Gringo)

You would have to be fluent in Spanish, print business cards and maybe some brochures, invest in a tape recorder, and probably spend a few pesos on copies of handouts, but that's it.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Sound idea!

When I first came here I ran a cal center in the SanIsidro Free Zone. I had 42 employees, although I prefer to refer to them as 42 14 year olds.

Before you can teach them to listen, you have to get them to grow up!

It's not your allowance you get at the end of the week, you actually have to show up and work for it! Maybe it would work better if it was an allowance and they get the money for doing chores?

JRR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Can't Teach A Dominican "Dog" ANY Tricks!!!!

If they, "Don't Got It!", by the time they start working,"Fogedabowdit"!!!!

I ran training classes for hundreds of Dominican employees over the last ten years. Average attention span is about 10 minutes. More than one employee,they just talk to each other. Their retention in ZERO! Hire intelligent,educated workers! Don't expect any results from training.The "Die : is already cast!!
To many Platanos eaten by the time you try to train them!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Is anyone listening?
Huh? What did you say?:bunny:

marcos1007

Jul 7, 2006
The lack of listening skills is not unique to Dominican Republic. I found that this is very common in people from other Latin American countries as well. At the same time I noticed , based on my own experience, that well educated individuals in DR, who hold professional-level positions, do have very refined listening skills.

KPthree

Sep 23, 2006
the idea's not bad, but needs to be geared towards the goverment level.

"a refined listening camp for the higher ups",, where does one start ?

cuas

May 29, 2006
The lack of listening skills is not unique to Dominican Republic. I found that this is very common in people from other Latin American countries as well. At the same time I noticed , based on my own experience, that well educated individuals in DR, who hold professional-level positions, do have very refined listening skills.

Also the states. I am a caseworker for the wellfare dept.. When recipients call, most of them do not let us talk. I have to say "Can I talk" or "I let you talk, can I talk now"
At my job I deal with real estate brokers, landlords (some angry), social workers and I have the same problem.
Yesterday, I called Bank of America-customer service. She talked and talked, she didnot let me interrupt her. It was like she was a recorder. I had to tell her "Can I talk". Then she said "You didnot tell me that". I said" I was trying to tell you, but you was not giving me a chance"

Listening is a skill and some people use it at their own convenience. It is all over the world. Not only DR and some countries.
I am a good listener because when we had a family problem my father sat us in the livingroom and we had to listen to him and then we could express our opinion. My father was Dominican. He only went to 4th grade.
He also told my mother when one of your children come to you, YOU LISTEN.

Why people can listen when they are in a bar with friends, or with the boy/girlfriend, or discussing sports, or just with a group of friends?

It is up to the owner or manager to monitor his/her employee, if they can listen to their friends why can't they listen to a customer?
It should be the first requirements to hire somebody in customer service.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
When you pay employees 4000-6000 a month the best you can hope for is IQ levels around room temperature (North American room temperature)

Communicating with someone at this level is like using a windows PC with a mouse and no keyboard: meaning if it aint one of the basic menu choices then it just aint gonna happen.

They can "listen" all you want but if your query is not structured to ellicit one of the pre-programmed responses form a very short list then you are wasting your time.