Habla español?

What's your level of proficiency in Spanish?

• Advanced

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Moderate

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Beginner

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • I don't speak Spanish at all!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A moderator requested the topic of this poll. Her interest was developed due to the large number of DR1ers asking for very basic Spanish words in the Spanish forum.

What's your level of proficiency in Spanish?

A) Advanced

B) Moderate

C) Beginner

D) I don't speak Spanish at all!

-NALs

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I placed myself in the moderate stage although I feel I have a way to go before reaching the advanced stage.

Larry

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Lifetime Membership

I have a Lifetime Membership in the "Beginner's" stage.

It's only been 15 years now since I first came to the DR (1991), and I started to learn some Spanish before my first visit. I do try......

One on one I get my point across,
.....my point being "Speak Slowly and use simple words". ;) lol

I can read and spell in Spanish better than I can talk and listen in Spanish.

PS: BTW, what is Habla español?

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Nals, moderate means you can read newspapers; advanced means you can read technical books, manuals, and Paulo Coelho.

By this definition wouldn't one be basically are classifying the majority of the people here as Beginner? I would propose that "Advanced" is if you can carry on a conversation with any Domincan as well as make yourself understood and you should be able to more or less understand the periodicals and all of the words they use even though you'll never hear 99% of them spoken in public.

Chip

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
By this definition wouldn't one be basically are classifying the majority of the people here as Beginner? I would propose that "Advanced" is if you can carry on a conversation with any Domincan as well as make yourself understood and you should be able to more or less understand the periodicals and all of the words they use even though you'll never hear 99% of them spoken in public.

Chip

Chip,

I was joking, of course. But Nals should've used words like fluent or semi-fluent. Advanced/moderate should be used with skiing, photoshop, and ballroom-dancing.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you spent the morning trying to explain the difference between sayings, proverbs, maxims and phrases where does that put you? (Lambada helping neighbour to help her child with English homework..........and probably confusing everyone........!)

I can understand newspapers, legal documents etc but not books on philosophy, I have discovered. The spoken word is ok, too, unless spoken by the dual toothed electrician with the speech impediment after he's had a few rums........then I have to admit to struggling somewhat. :ermm:

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
I don't speak spanish very well but I read it fairly well (newspaper, etc.) I guess it's trying to translate it in my mind before I say it that makes it so hard for me but I'll keep on trying as long as the little gray cells hold out.

Elizabeth (windrifter)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sub-beginner...one day i may master the sentence structure and get beyond 3-4 word sentences....so i guess i'm a C- or D +.....

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Muy (or is it "mucho")

Me speako mucho bueno Spanish.

Una cerveza po favour!.

Does anybody knows "advanced Spanish"?.

I have spoken to people claiming to have "advanced" and even "moderate" knowledge of the language only to have them, after 1 minute, go "what, what, talk slower, I can't understand what you are saying".

I guess everybody have their own definition, until they find themselves talking with someone who truly knows Spanish.

C

Chip00

Me speako mucho bueno Spanish.

Una cerveza po favour!.

Does anybody knows "advanced Spanish"?.

I have spoken to people claiming to have "advanced" and even "moderate" knowledge of the language only to have them, after 1 minute, go "what, what, talk slower, I can't understand what you are saying".

I guess everybody have their own definition, until they find themselves talking with someone who truly knows Spanish.

Miguel

Good observation. Based on that I would have to classify myself between moderate and advanced. I generally don't have a problem communicating with the locals but I have found that at times I have had problems communicating with some people and I associate it with of little or no formal education based on the fact that I don't have this proglem when I talk with people such as bank managers, lawyers, doctors, engineers in Spanish exclusively (no cheating) . It seems if I don't ask for something in the manner in which they are accustomed they do the "dominican eye squint" which is actually a good thing because it let's me know they don't understand me. I actually wonder if dominicans actually are conscious of doing it. Furthermore, a dominican friend of mine tells me that it's common for dominicans to purposely "play" amoung themselves that they don't understand in order that they feel superior. Sounds a lot like the some of the people back home in the states when it comes to furriners! Also, I have problems sometimes too if I speak or watch a lot of tv in English because I have a tendency to cut off the Spanish thinking mode.

Thanks

Chip

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It seems if I don't ask for something in the manner in which they are accustomed they do the "dominican eye squint" which is actually a good thing because it let's me know they don't understand me. I actually wonder if dominicans actually are conscious of doing it. Furthermore, a dominican friend of mine tells me that it's common for dominicans to purposely "play" amoung themselves that they don't understand in order that they feel superior. Sounds a lot like the some of the people back home in the states when it comes to furriners! Also, I have problems sometimes too if I speak or watch a lot of tv in English because I have a tendency to cut off the Spanish thinking mode.

Thanks

Chip

that's funny that you say that, "the Dominican eye squint" 'cause I do that.
yes some Dominicans tend to do that "relajar mucho".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Claro!

Reminds me of your English.

Larry
How do you know about my English if you have never spoken to me, dick?.

Oh, you mean the way I write in English, I got it.

Well, I bet I speak, read, understand and write better in English than you in Spanish.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
How do you know about my English if you have never spoken to me, dick?.

Oh, you mean the way I write in English, I got it.

Well, I bet I speak, read, understand and write better in English than you in Spanish.

I know people who have spoken to you..... Heeeey hiya dooing main? Wassaaaap?

I'll bet that after 1 year here, my Spanish is leaps and bounds above your English after your first 10 years in the United States.

I guess the truth hurts, as evidenced by your reaction to my comment.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Classy reaction you had by the way. It was pretty much what I expected.

Now back to ignoring you for another 5 years.

Larry

Last edited:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Well, I am advanced enough to realize the quality of spanish spoken varies and some native speakers speak it poorly. Nonnative speakers taking classes are taught formal spanish with an emphasis on proper pronunciation. What we hear from our teachers or language tape is not necessarily what we hear in the real world. I personally struggle at times with caribbean speakers, yet am able to have very complex conversation with an andean speaker because quite frankly they sound a lot closer to what I here from teachers or language tapes. When people start dropping letters or whole syllables in favor of speed then even the most advanced nonnative speaker is going struggle unless they are immersed in that style of speech.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
I Do The Same Thing, Well, Almost... jajajaja

...Furthermore, a dominican friend of mine tells me that it's common for dominicans to purposely "play" amoung themselves that they don't understand in order that they feel superior.
Funny, I do the same thing in the DR (especially at customs) and in my neighborhood, which is play that I don't understand Spanish.

-Helpmann :laugh:

C

Chip00

Funny, I do the same thing in the DR (especially at customs) and in my neighborhood, which is play that I don't understand Spanish.

-Helpmann :laugh:

Helpmann

I second that when it comes to passing through customs. I'm cien por ciento turista gringo then and "no habloy mouchoy espanyowle"

Chip