Carnaval Masks and Mask-Makers

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
I am a collector of masks and am very interested in purchasing at least one mask in either the style of the Santiago or the La Vega Mask-makers. I would also like to visit one or more of the maskmakers to see them at work in their shop/casa. To that end ...

Where can I find the best selection of Carnaval masks to purchase, both in Santiago and in La Vega?

Can any one direct me to talented maskmakers who would welcome a visitor, someone interested in their work who would like to photograph them toiling at their craft? I am looking for very specific contact information.

I will be visiting the area in early to mid October. I'm not sure if the craftsmen are busy making masks that time of year. Are they?

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Make a visit to the Tomas Morel Folkloric Museum in downtown Santiago. I speculate all your questions will be answered. There is a place in back where masks are made. It's a really interesting place, rich with history. Oh, and carnival masks.

Someone here can provide the address and directions.

<edit> You need to come back in February for a carnival tour.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What cobraboy said! Once here, you can talk to the people (I can point you in the right direction, at the folklore museum, and they, in turn, can tell you where the guys in Los Pepines or Pueblo Nuevo or Barracoa or La Joya are located....

You will soon learn that it is not easy to plan out a DR trip to the last detail beforehand. You gotta be flexible...

Stay in touch...

HB

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
cobraboy said:
Make a visit to the Tomas Morel Folkloric Museum in downtown Santiago. I speculate all your questions will be answered. There is a place in back where masks are made. It's a really interesting place, rich with history. Oh, and carnival masks.

Someone here can provide the address and directions.

You need to come back in February for a carnival tour.

I am aware of the museum and it is on my must-list of places to visit while in Santiago. Concerning carnaval, I had plans all set to come this past February, but had to cancel due to work conflicts.:mad: It is a priority for me to get to the DR for Carnaval.

Robert said:

I had previously taken a look at both the article you reference and the website to which it refers. Both are excellent.

Hillbilly said:
What cobraboy said! Once here, you can talk to the people (I can point you in the right direction, at the folklore museum, and they, in turn, can tell you where the guys in Los Pepines or Pueblo Nuevo or Barracoa or La Joya are located....

You will soon learn that it is not easy to plan out a DR trip to the last detail beforehand. You gotta be flexible...

Stay in touch...

HB

Thanks. I will speak with the folks at the museum to get their advice and direction. And thanks for mentioning the neighborhoods where to find the mask-makers.

I am a notorious overplanner, and that is largely due to the fact that I get limited opportunity to travel and want to make the absolute most of the days available to me. Hence I try to gather as much relevant information as possible beforehand and use that to formulate a day-by-day plan. Having a fair amount of travelling under my belt, I certainly know that the plan changes as soon as you set foot in a new place. That's perfectly fine and expected. MY philosophy is "plan in detail, but be flexible and adapt to the surprises and unexpected opportunities that are sure to arise."

I'll send you a PM with a few other questions I know you can be helpful with.