Hotels to stay in Puerto Plata area

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobrivers

Sep 28, 2006
Hello everybody.

I am a single guy in my early 30s and i'm looking to have a few days' vacation in Puerto Plata area in late November/early December.

The internet is filled with offers of vacation packages to DR but i'm not exactly looking to spend time in a place full of families with kids if you know what i mean.

Being that it's my first time,can someone enlighten me on which hotels have the better 'bring the guest in' policy and how much extra this may cost me.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are many many hotels, but more importantly, I suspect you are flying into POP airport, but would not want to stay in the actual Puerto Plata city.
Sosua & Cabarete would be much better choices for a single tourist.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I recommend Field of Dreams Inn across the street from Playa Dorado. Perfect place for a newbie. Billy is the proprietor, and is a great guy (also a Member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame). He can show you the ropes and has great contacts in the area. The prices are very, very reasonable.

F. o D. Hotel

bobrivers

Sep 28, 2006
Thanks a lot guys for helping out a newbie.
Looks like the Field of Dreams Inn is the place to go.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Field of Dreams are more or less in the middle of nowhere. In Sosua you have plenty of opportunities. I'll guess Hotel Europa or The new garden hotel would suit you perfect.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Field of Dreams is not "in the middle of nowhere" - it is directly across from Playa Dorada. It is easy access to all kinds of places, beaches, restaurants, nightclubs etc. They are guest friendly and have a good restaurant right on the premises and a pool. All rooms are air conditioned and have an in room safe.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I doubt he would find anything of interess for him within walking distance.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
FoD would be a good choice for a newbie traveling alone to the DR for the first time. If he becomes hardened and fearless dealing with street scum, scam artists and putas, he might want to stay in the middle of Sosua next time.

Billy takes care of his guests with sound advice, great guidance and even transportation. He is the quintessential host.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Field of Dreams is not "in the middle of nowhere" - it is directly across from Playa Dorada. It is easy access to all kinds of places, beaches, restaurants, nightclubs etc. They are guest friendly and have a good restaurant right on the premises and a pool. All rooms are air conditioned and have an in room safe.
PLUS he'd be spared the agony of dealing with the Swiss Nazi daytime desk clerk at the Europa...:rambo: :cool: ;)

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Last time I was in Puerto Plata, we stayed at Hotel Sunshine.
3 people in a room for $900 pesos (less than $10 each)
a/c, warm water, bar
We had free wristbands for a all-inclusive hotel, so we spent most of our time at the resort. We only slept at hotel sunshine. The hotel is located next to a Stereo/Alarm shop, so every morning you are woken up to Daddy Yankee and get to hear it a thousand times in a row. Not fun when you are hungover.
For the price not bad, but I hear that Field is Dreams is a better deal.

miginiel

Sep 29, 2006
to keep it fair, i recommend you visit La_Perla_Negra. its its close enough fto town if thats what you want 4mi. or you can just relax with a friend inside. chk it out you'll see. it is secure and has transportation if needed. there has been a rebirth in this area, so enjoy now b4 many others discover it too. i had a great time this past may. you will too

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Guest friendly hotels in Sosua

Some guest friendly hotels in Sosua within walking distance to the beach.
(semi) = There may be some restrictions or additional costs.

Canto Del Delfin EL Canto Del Delfin Condominiums
Casa Cayena
Casa Valeria Casa Valeria
Central Hotel
Club Residencial Dominican Republic Hotel Club Residencial Sosua (semi)
Condos Dominicano Untitled Document (semi)
Europa Hotel Hotel Plaza EUROPA in Sosua - Dominican Republic
New Garden Hotel New Garden Hotel - Sosua
Trade Winds Tradewinds
Waterfront Hotel Hotel Waterfront-Dominican Republic Resort Caribbean Vacation Packages,Travel Caribbean Travel Discounts,All Inclusive Travel Puerto Plata Beach Resort For Sale,Beachfront Cottage Caribbean Resorts (semi)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i can recommend del delfin as it is my fav place when i'm in sosua....guest friendly, supermercado across the street, bakery next door, beach about 2 blocks away, nighclubs/restaurants about a block away on pedro clisante, 24 hour security, bar (with nice bargirls), a/c, backup generator for those pesky blackouts, massage parlor next door, on the main highway so transportation to POP and caberete is easy, no street scum or putas by the hotel...

what else you need ??

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'm with the others here that say Field of Dreams is "in the middle of nowhere." look into some of the places Marco suggests.

B

batich

Some guest friendly hotels in Sosua within walking distance to the beach.
(semi) = There may be some restrictions or additional costs.

Canto Del Delfin EL Canto Del Delfin Condominiums
Casa Cayena
Casa Valeria Casa Valeria
Central Hotel
Club Residencial Dominican Republic Hotel Club Residencial Sosua (semi)
Condos Dominicano Untitled Document (semi)
Europa Hotel Hotel Plaza EUROPA in Sosua - Dominican Republic
New Garden Hotel New Garden Hotel - Sosua
Trade Winds Tradewinds
Waterfront Hotel Hotel Waterfront-Dominican Republic Resort Caribbean Vacation Packages,Travel Caribbean Travel Discounts,All Inclusive Travel Puerto Plata Beach Resort For Sale,Beachfront Cottage Caribbean Resorts (semi)

Waterfront is NOT guest friendly. They charge for each visitor extra.

Also, because of very loud music from neighbour Casa Marina Discoteke sleep until at least midnight is impossible. Reading nor talking neither.

Especialy in bigger rooms in the rear.

And restaurante is the most expensive in Sosua. More expensive than many restaurantes in NY.

B

batich

Field of Dreams rules.

Field of Dreams are more or less in the middle of nowhere. In Sosua you have plenty of opportunities. I'll guess Hotel Europa or The new garden hotel would suit you perfect.

Not exactly!
Right across from Playa Dorada beaches and other...

Billy is great person.

Rooms - up to the highest European standards. Free Internet.
One of my fav places by far!!

Thank you, Billy! Sorry that she did not want to stay there alone without me last time. She was a bit scared with upcoming bachelos` party!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Waterfront is NOT guest friendly. They charge for each visitor extra.
The list above, points out that some are "semi" guest friendly, and explains that there can be a surcharge, which is the case at the Waterfront.

And restaurante is the most expensive in Sosua. More expensive than many restaurantes in NY.
There a couple of restaurants in Sosua that are more expensive, such as La Puntilla PierGiorgio, for example.

B

batich

The list above, points out that some are "semi" guest friendly, and explains that there can be a surcharge, which is the case at the Waterfront.

There a couple of restaurants in Sosua that are more expensive, such as La Puntilla PierGiorgio, for example.
- correct! Forgot about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.