Car rental in santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
hello i might be traveling to Dr either in February or for spring break i know there are alot of car rental businesses in the area and im curious to know which place is the cheapest. im not looking for a jeep or anything that'll attract much attention just a normal car. so my question is which rental is the cheapest and what documents do i need to rent the car

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
hello i might be traveling to Dr either in February or for spring break i know there are alot of car rental businesses in the area and im curious to know which place is the cheapest. im not looking for a jeep or anything that'll attract much attention just a normal car. so my question is which rental is the cheapest and what documents do i need to rent the car
I suggest doing some searches on renting and driving in the DR. There are some big land mines driving in the DR, especially if you've never driven there. It ain't Kansas. "Cheap" may not be that cheap at the end of the day.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
You will need a credit card, passport and a valid drivers license.

I always use la frontera rent car. I've been using them for over two years now and I'm happy with their service. Once you become a long time member they give you better deals.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
http://www.dr1.com/forums/357837-post28.html
Let's see. A high school senior, from Connecticut, with an attitude, driving in the DR for the first time. Just add a couple Presidentes and you have a recipe for?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If this is true:

Let's see. A high school senior, from Connecticut, with an attitude, driving in the DR for the first time. Just add a couple Presidentes and you have a recipe for?

I would strongly resist renting a vehicle. You can have just as much fun using public transportation.

Please look at some of the "driving in the DR" threads.....

As a gringo, no matter what, you'll attract attention.

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
:surprised: :paranoid:

I dunno, guys. Might make for some really good (but painful) Life's Lessons. I say he should rent the car, and drive it all around the country, especially in Santo Domingo in rush hour, and the mountain road between Santiago and POP at night. In the rain. Drunk. ;)

Hell, I was bulletproof, too, when I was a High School Senior. I was also smarter than God, and certainly smarter than my elders.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
You will need a credit card, passport and a valid drivers license.

I always use la frontera rent car. I've been using them for over two years now and I'm happy with their service. Once you become a long time member they give you better deals.

would cash have its advantages? and where is La Frontera located?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Will a rental company in the DR rent to a child under 25 in the child's name and on his credit card? Certainly wouldn't happen in the US.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Josh I think El Tigre answered your question very nicely, contact La Frontera and quit while your a head.

G

gary short

Josh.......geez....just walk down any street and you'll find an abundance of inexpensive cars to rent... no worries.....and a little atitude won't hurt when trying to negotiate the price down to half.....just make sure you demand a vehicle with low mileage.......good luck...

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
see now wasn't that easy enough? no need for stupid comments just give me an answer to my question and i'll take it from there but some people just like being dicks and i thought you guys were mature...what a shame...

G

gary short

Actually Josh a lot of those other posters are.....nato......notria....notori........well kown for being dicks.

I used to rent from the cheapest but when you have a problem it ruins your vacation, So now I always rent from Budget an intermediate sized car for 3 big guys and as many girls as we can fit in(usually 3-5 more) ;). costs about 30 bucks a day.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
I used to rent from the cheapest but when you have a problem it ruins your vacation, So now I always rent from Budget an intermediate sized car for 3 big guys and as many girls as we can fit in(usually 3-5 more) ;). costs about 30 bucks a day.

really? 30 bucks?! and where is it located?

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
I have no kids.

But if I did, they'd prolly have the good taste to bed someone who can use proper grammar and punctuation, and spell.

What is this "life" thing I keep hearing folks chat about? I always wanted one.

yeah people tend not to care much about grammer and punctuation because this is the internet it's not as if we're writting an essay

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
yeah people tend not to care much about grammer (correction: spelled "grammar") and punctuation because this is the internet it's not as if we're writting an essay
You can tell much about the intellect, thought processes and education by how they use words and grammar while structuring their thoughts on the internet. Why should one use bad grammar and punctuation even if it's not a term paper, when it requires no more real effort?

It is the only way to know someone since you can't see them.

BTW-virtually all rental car agencies will either require a valid credit card* or very large cash deposit when you rent a car. One would think with your deep and prominent family connections in the DR (as you have previously outlined)you wouldn't need to rent a car. Minimally, your relatives would be able to provide connections to a rental car agency. What's up with that?

*which requires a valid credit rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.