Dominican MLB trivia

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Fútbol may have Franz Breckenbauer, The World Cup, Bebeto, and Posh Spice; American-style football can count Bear Bryant, the '72 Dolphins, and Broadway Joe amongst its best-known trivia answers; and basketball may list Pistol Pete's scoring records at LSU, Jordan's sophomore playoff game against the Celtics, and the Dean Dome at UNC. But when it comes to trivia, no sport, at least in the USA, comes close to matching the passion that Abner Doubleday's creation generates.

So, for those of you who love baseball trivia, here are two Dominican-related tidbits of info:

Osvaldo Virgil was the first Dominican-born player in MLB (No, rellosk, it was not A-Rod).

El Seybo's César Gerónimo was the 3000th strikeout victim of Bob Gibson and the Ryan Express.

-The Kid

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Osvaldo Virgil was the first Dominican-born player in MLB (No, rellosk, it was not A-Rod).

-The Kid

Virgil's feat is laudable for being a pioneer, but the sad side of this is that had it not been for the apartheid era of the big leagues up until the late 1940s , then the immensely talented Tetelo Vargas clearly would've made the majors a lot earlier during his prime, and more likely to have made a bigger impact as a player than Ozzie ever did. Even without ever playing in the Majors; for many generations of Dominicans, Tetelo has always been the first and foremost international baseball star from the DR. He was a beloved figure in Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Cuba, Mexico and New York City both for his baseball achievements as for his decent, hard-working, and generous personality.
- Tordok

some links:
English
BBTF's Hall of Merit Discussion :: Tetelo Vargas

Tetelo Vargas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spanish
1-800-BEISBOL - Juan Esteban Tetelo Vargas

1-800-BEISBOL - TETELO VARGAS..UN GRAN SE?OR DEL BEISBOL

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Tordok,

Thanks for the info. Tetelo was indeed the man. Growing up in Higuey, my uncles used to tell me stories about him, which they only heard from radio broadcast or read in papers.

I was pleased to see my first Dominican favorite, Julian Javier, in one of the trivia questions. There's also an article on one of my all-time faves, Miguel Dilon?. You can deduct I'm an Aguilucho - before it was cool.

Thanks again,

-Joseito