Pedro Martinez

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Thats too bad. He did not have a very good season .Finished 9-8, era over 4.48 and was taken out of a few games with no decisions. Does not have same fastball. Age is starting to show. Besides that GO METS!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Small man, throwing 96 mph fast balls and hard curves....like this was a long time in coming.???

Sorry for the Mets, they had a very good chance with Pedro pitching.....

Pedro will get the best of the best and maybe winn the Comeback of the year Award for 2007???

HB

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thats too bad. He did not have a very good season .Finished 9-8, era over 4.48 and was taken out of a few games with no decisions. Does not have same fastball. Age is starting to show. Besides that GO METS!!!!!!

I love Pedro, the Boston Red Sox and the New York Mets all the way back to Marvelous Marv Throneberry (brother of former Red Sock the late Faye Throneberry).

If Pedro doesn't turn around then the Sox were right to let him slip away.

I wish him well. He's earned the money he's being paid.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Rotaror cuff tears can be serious. Lets hope the surgery will do the job. Next year we will know. In the mean time GO METS.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
07?

Rotaror cuff tears can be serious. Lets hope the surgery will do the job. Next year we will know. In the mean time GO METS.
I'd be surprised if we learn much of anything next year. Labrum/rotator cuff surgery will normally take a full year of recovery before attempting anything of a formidable (pitching) comeback (depending on what the doctors actually have to repair).

If anyone has what it takes to come back it's Pedro, but put I'd guess that 07 should be put out of mind for now.

He's had these problems his entire career, this stress and damage has been building for over a decade. Lasorda is no fool (actually, maybe he is, but not in this case), the Dodgers knew his arm could snap anytime, and they took sensible action in not investing in him (this isn't a horse like Seaver/Ryan/Clemens). The Red Sox probably knew better than most (having the most medical information on him) and I can confidently say they made the right decision in not signing him. Omar took a huge risk, and unfortunately he's left holding the bag.

Pedro's heart and pride got him this far (as well as a very clever mind), and it should serve him well in a comeback, if he so chooses.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
interesting article on Pedro in one of the newspapers I was looking at in Santo Domingo this morning. Said that 90% of the pitchers that have had rotor cuff surgery have not pitched in the major leagues again. It said that pitchers who rely on a fast ball are especially unlikely to regain former form.

Article said that the injury pitchers fear the most is a torn rotor cuff.

The list of big-name pitchers that didn't make it back to the majors is long. Odds are clearly against Pedro, unfortunately.

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Poor Mets!

And now El Duque is out, too. Poor Mets. We still gonna have a subway series??

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Always have been

interesting article on Pedro in one of the newspapers I was looking at in Santo Domingo this morning. Said that 90% of the pitchers that have had rotor cuff surgery have not pitched in the major leagues again. It said that pitchers who rely on a fast ball are especially unlikely to regain former form.

Article said that the injury pitchers fear the most is a torn rotor cuff.

The list of big-name pitchers that didn't make it back to the majors is long. Odds are clearly against Pedro, unfortunately.
Pedro wasn't ever considered anything special until he landed in Montreal and really started his career. As a whispy twig he wasn't ever considered to be worth hanging onto by his original team.

I've torn my labrum before, and to see him lift his right arm and wave to the fans today surprised me - as effortlessly as he did. Anything with lifting my arm above my chest was excruciating. I had to stop waving to my fans until I was fixed.

Although I've always enjoyed playing doctor, I'm not licensed, but if he can do that, I don't *think* it can be all that severe of a tear.

Nonetheless - and my point being - he's been a finesse pitcher as much as anything else, and he's as smart as they get.

I wouldn't bet against him, and seeing him raise his arm like that gives me pause to even write off 07 for him, but time will tell.

He likes challenges, but I wonder if at his age he has the fire left to do the work needed to get his arm healthy and to - essentially - go back to square 1 and start the rebuilding process and learning what he has, and how he can use that to be an effective ML pitcher.

I sure hope we see him back and competing soon.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
How is lasorda smart? Trade away one of the most dominating pitchers ever?
I can see boston not resigning him. . . .but trading pedro when he was a young stud?

I'd be surprised if we learn much of anything next year. Labrum/rotator cuff surgery will normally take a full year of recovery before attempting anything of a formidable (pitching) comeback (depending on what the doctors actually have to repair).

If anyone has what it takes to come back it's Pedro, but put I'd guess that 07 should be put out of mind for now.

He's had these problems his entire career, this stress and damage has been building for over a decade. Lasorda is no fool (actually, maybe he is, but not in this case), the Dodgers knew his arm could snap anytime, and they took sensible action in not investing in him (this isn't a horse like Seaver/Ryan/Clemens). The Red Sox probably knew better than most (having the most medical information on him) and I can confidently say they made the right decision in not signing him. Omar took a huge risk, and unfortunately he's left holding the bag.

Pedro's heart and pride got him this far (as well as a very clever mind), and it should serve him well in a comeback, if he so chooses.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Young stud?

How is lasorda smart? Trade away one of the most dominating pitchers ever?
I can see boston not resigning him. . . .but trading pedro when he was a young stud?
I can't judge his intelligence, but looking at his resume, the guy knows something doesn't he? He didn't get to where he is because he could hit the long ball, or put down more pizza than the next guy.

Pedro wasn't a dominating pitcher with the Dodgers, he didn't even have a bright future as far as most were concerned. He was small, frail, and had a brother (that they knew well) with a history of arm injuries.

Players with far greater potential than Pedro ever illustrated (early) have been let go (David Ortiz ring a bell?) and become All-Stars. Lasorda looks like a fool because Pedro reached heights absolutely no one expected of him (maybe even himself).

As a prospect Pedro was very small, and threw very hard - and again had a family history of arm troubles - those factors add up to no reasonable team wanting to sign him long term. He hadn't established a role; starter, reliever, etc. Montreal signed him for a couple reasons; he was cheap and the manager was Felipe Alou.

What he did after that move shouldn't be an indictment of Lasorda, it's more so a credit to a man with the heart of a champion.