New Bank and Bad Rates at Airport

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I passed through the Santo Domingo airport on 9/24 and notice some changes. A lot of the construction on the arrival area is complete and there is now a large "duty free" area before imigration. Along with that is a new large cambio booth in the hall before you arrive at the booth to purchase the tourist card. I have always changed at least some money at the airport because the rate has always been very competative with what is available at the cambios in the capital, and the airport was convienient and I had some time before my bags came out. I was nicely greeted by the uniformed pretty girls in the large booth and after some chit-chat about the new booth I asked what the rate was, as it was not posted. I was shocked to have them tell me that it was 29 !!! I asked them to repeat it which they did and by the look on my face and the look on thier's they knew that I was on to them. I knew before comming that the rate was hovering between 32 and 33. I asked them if they were the only cambio in the airport and they told me no. I put my american dollars back in my pocket, told them "good luck" and headed down the hall. Next to the tourist card booth was the Banreservas cambio booth with a posted rate of 33.5. I changed my money, got my tourist card and glided through imigration and customs. Another change is there is no longer a bathroom in the baggage/customs area. They told me there was one in the imigration area but I wasn' going back. There also was another booth of "banditas" and another booth of Banreservas before leaving the airport. I apoogize but I did not get/do not remember the name on the booth of "banditas", maybe someone else can post it. It is painfully obvious that this is an officialy sanctioned attempt to fleece the unwary/uninitiated visitor. Just an observation but it seems the booth of "banditas" has taken almost the exact spot where I used to be offered a free taste of Brugal when I arrived. I guess this is thier new way of saying"Wecome to the Dominican Republic". Keep your head up and your stick on the ice.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what do you expect from a third-world country whose reputation for corruption is known all over the world?

I think dominicans have a tendancy to think "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" when it comes to trying to fleece tourists in almost every fashion possible.

This is just the newest way to do it. I'm surprised it took them this long to think of it.

jamal72

Aug 2, 2006
Regarding Exchange rates and More

My name is Jamal. I recently spend about six days in Santo Domingo. It was my first trip and I absolutely loved it. I spent the better part of August through early September reading the posts or threads as they are called on this site. For the most part everyone seems to be very informative. Yeah while I was visiting a couple people tried to get over on me, but name a place in the world that does not try to get over on the tourist. All this is to say, the Dominican Republic from my small observation has a great deal of proud and wonderful people. As a Black man born in America I was especially proud to see the African Heritage. At the same time I was saddened by the conditions under which many Dominicans have to survive. What was not mentioned is that it cost just as much or if not more to live in The DR than in the United States, considering that most people make under $200-300 US a month. Despite the un-neccessary inflated price the government put on neccessities, Dominican people are examples what togetherness means. As far as crime, I did not see one argument. People drive crazy as hell, and you might see 3-4 people on a motorcycle, but after the initial shock you blend right in. Or atleast I did. By the way the women are absolutely beautiful. They were friendly, as well as courteous. I don't know if it's because I am from the US or if that's the over-all way the women in the Dominican Republic are. It did not matter

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The high cost of exchanging $$$ at they airport is no different than the high cost of food and gifts in the airport.

Why is this surprising? I doubt there is a large public airport on the planet where this isn't true.

I always bring 3000-4000 pesos into the DR when I return. Folks coming into the country with none should exchange the bare minimum of currency in the airport until they can get to a regular cambio.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
The way of the world

For the last four or five years all of the cambio booths at SDQ have had rates very comparable to the best rates outside the airport and that suprised me, but it was very convienent. I also carry some pesos with me but sometimes head straight out to the campo from the airport and stopping on the way is difficult and troublesome. You are right, most other airports have terrible rates. I guess that the powers that be at SDQ have decided to give it a try. Maybe someone with knowledge of operations at SDQ could find out if this the way things will be or if they will keep the two company system. Since the rate was not posted at the new booth I wonder how much of the difference was official policy and how much was "Dominican Ingenuity".