Las Galeras Morea Beach

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Does anyone have an explanation for Moorea not answering its e-mails? An acquaintance wants to stay there and hasn't had a response to several sends.

Last year there was talk of the owners leasing and then something about a sale. Could this changing of hands have something to do with it? Any other comments?

frenchiemorenita

Sep 26, 2006
Hi!
As I definitely wanted to go there last August, I sent them various e-mails through their web site ... and ended up giving them a phone call to make my reservation. At the time (in late July) it seemed that they had troubles with their web site and had not received any e-mails for the last couple of months. I guess they haven't solved their problem yet :ermm:
FYI, their phone number is 1-089-538-007. (hope it helps)
I don't know who the owners were at the time, now it seems to be French guys.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Moorea e-mail

Thanks guys I'll forward it to the non-user and suggest she join up on DR1.

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
April 2006

We stayed there for 2 weeks in April 2006. Great Place!!! A lovely young French couple leases / manages the hotel and told us they had just signed another lease for the next year.

We had a hard time making reservations.... We had called and spoken to a Dominican who made our reservations... Quoted us a great price...

When we arrived at the hotel, we did not have reservations and Diane did not know who we had spoken to. Recommend confirming reservations with Diane.

Contact info:
website: Hotel Las Galeras, Samana : Hotel Moorea Beach, Dominican Republic
Tel: 809-538-0007
fax: 809-538-0202

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
revised

Not sure why, but in the previous message when I typed in a leading www infront of hotelmoorea.com the address is directed to samana.net

How strange???

Anyway... the address for their website is hotelmoorea.com

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I had heard in late August that the French couple running Moorea Beach had some issues with the hotel owner regarding major repairs needed to the hotel and that they were considering not renewing their lease. The owner was there from Germany at that time. We are not in Las Galeras at the moment but are returning to our hotel in LG today after a month?s vacation in Florida. If I hear any more upon returning, I?ll post it to this thread. This might explain why their website is being redirected to the Samana Net site.

Chino moreno Jr.

Sep 12, 2006
If Moorea is not an option, which would be a better place El Marinque or Villa
Serena? I have read negative and positive reviews of both.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Moorea Beach, LG hotel updates and other progress

We just got back to Las Galeras and my neighbor who was babysitting our hotel tells me the French couple have quit hotel Moorea beach, the pool is drained and the hotel is closed. It seems the owner didn't want to make any of the needed repairs to the hotel and opted to close it instead.

And although many may already know it, hotel Club Bonito has also closed as of Sept. 1st and will reopen sometime in the future as a private apartment complex. I was also told that a wall collapsed recently during the Bonito remodeling and a worker was killed when it fell upon him. And finally, it seems that hotel Todo Blanco next to Club Bonito was also sold. Things are hopping around Las Galeras and during the ride back from el Portillo's air strip I saw a lot of construction across the peninsula especially between el Portillo and el Limon. And flying over Las Terrenas a lot of construction was visable.

I also saw part of the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway under construction with the road cut and leveled but no asphalt yet. A reliable source in Samana told me in August that the road is supposed to be finished in mid 2007.

Chino moreno Jr.

Sep 12, 2006
Thanks for the update Andy. In your opinion which would be the next best option for Las Galeras? You mention you have a hotel?

G

gary short

In my TOTALLY and COMPLETELY biased opinion, I'd suggest staying at el Marinique (my hotel), not that Villa Serena isn't a very nice hotel (it is). LOL!!!

Do you offer monthly rentals?????

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Like Andy said, the hotel Moorea Beach is currently closed. It was the first hotel built in Las Galeras, some 18 years ago, and as you can imagine, it needs a lot of maintenance. We have put some hard work for more than 1 year to make this hotel a cool place, but it needs some serious reparations and we could not agree on them with the owner. We decided to close the hotel and not renew the lease as we could not provide the service we expected for our guests.

However, there is a very slight chance that the hotel could reopen in december, I'll keep you updated on this forum.

Until then you can check Juan y Lolo, they provide villa and bungalow rental in Las Galeras, and they have a wide range of accommodation for every budget (minimum stay 2 days).

Last edited: