Motoconchos?

C

Colette

Could someone please let me know what "motoconchos" means. We will be in Boca Chica in early February and something was mentioned on this board about watching out for the motoconchos wearing numbered uniforms. Thanks in advance for any help:))))

Colette.

S

Susanne

Motorcycle taxis. And beware - they drive like maniacs. In Puerto Plata I spotted one with four (4!) grown ups, one of them reading a book (fortunately not the driver - but it might as well have been). Another one transported a live cow, all tied up and ready for market. Sounds like a tale? Just go look for yourself. But be sure to look at a distance.

Regards, Susanne

N

Natasha

They are an interesting phenomenum to say the least. Like Susanne explained, they are motorcycle taxis. When I was growing in the DR, they were not as common as they are now. Talk about an obscene prolifiration. I swear we must have more motoconchos than actual people in the DR :) I haven't had the "pleasure" of riding one, believe it or not, but recently I witnessed my 71 year old grandmother getting off one when we were in her town. My mother and I almost died!!! We "reprimanded" her (LOL).

Regards, Natasha

J

Jim Hinsch

Motoconcho is a Motor that conchas (motorcycle that taxis). Motorcycle taxi, usually 125cc with a sit big enough to support 2 passengers. They price is usally 5 pesos per person day, 10 at night, anywhere in the local area. I find the vast majority drive quite safely. Their bikes are their life and business and they don't want an accident any more than you do. These are the main mode of transportation for short distances (less than 2 miles) around the tourist towns.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

A

Anna

I rode on one everyday into town (Sosua) and found the boys very good drivers and helpful too.

C

Conrad

Now that we know what a Motoconcho is, would you share one with me Colette ???....LOL Conrad

M

Maca (Spain)

I love travelling in a MOtoconcho...I never had problems with them, neither in Puerto Plata nor in Juan Dolio, I found that they drive wery safely.... Try dominican experiences, Colette, where you go, do what you see

C

Colette

hahahaha sure Conrad....

Would just like to thank everyone for responding to this post:) It was greatly appreciated and we look forward to our first trip to the DR in a couple of weeks! Thanks again:)))

T

thomas

Re: Muertoconchos?

I've seen some pretty incredible things being transported on a moto. Just remember, if the driver is crazy, tell him to chill, or get off. Sometimes you get a young one jacked up on who knows what. Ususally they're cool.