Santiago aiport to punta cana

manageout

Oct 1, 2006
Visiting DR for the first time b/c i heard such great things. wondering what is the "best" way to get from santiago airport to punta cana area? Best being the cheapest with some flexibility in costs for convenience. So far it seems like a caribe or metro bus from santiago to santo domingo, then another bus from santo domingo to la romana...and then maybe a taxi from there to punta cana??

Any advice would be much appreciated!

LaCampagna

Oct 1, 2006
Just like you have been told.

A Taxi from the airport in Santiago to Metro. They're not supposed to charge you more tha RD$500.00. Then a Metro to Santo Domingo for a little less than RD$250.00. From Santo Domingo to La Romana, I don't think that Metro has a route, but then again, I have only gone to La Romana by car, so I wouldn't know.

But for sure, you would have to take a Taxi from La Romana to Punta Cana, but make sure to find out the tarife from the various posters scattered around all the tourist spots by Secretaria de Turismo, so you don't get scammed.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Manageout

Welcome to DR1. I notice from your other post that you have done some searching of our site for information to help you. When finding something make sure you check the date in the upper left corner of the post to see how current the information is.

I won't get into asking as to why you are flying into Santiago instead of Santo Domingo or Punta Cana. I also can't help you from Santiago to Santo Domingo as that isn't my neck of the woods but people like or helpful member Hillbilly could direct you on this.

Once you arrive in SD take a taxi from the bus station to the bus stop for the bus to La Romana/Punta Cana. The taxi driver will know where it is and the taxi should not be more then 150 pesos (don't pay more then that (I usually pay no more then 100-120 pesos). There is no need to take a taxi from La Romana to Punta Cana as the bus from SD goes, or did, to PC through LR. If not then there are buses that go to PC from LR and is much cheaper then a taxi.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Manageout, if you would be so kind at the end of your vacation to give us a report. We have a "Trip Report" forum for such.

In your spare time it would be greatly appreciated if you would tell us about your trip. All the usual like the condition of your transportation, lodging, food and anything else that would help other travelers in your present situation.

In addition people such as myself that live here can get an honest feel about the information that we pass on to travelers like you. As it has been about a month since I have used the taxi and bus service in SD I am always interested in knowing if prices have increased or decreased since last using said services.

Thank you and enjoy your stay with us here in paradise.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if this will help you but this was posted a while back.

Direction for buses from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

This express departs every day from the Sitrabapu Terminal that is beside the New Politur Police Station in B?varo (Punta Cana), near the Friusa crossroads. The coach departs at 7:00 - 10:00 am and 2:00 - 4:00 pm daily. The one-way fare is RD$ 230. The ticket office to the left of the building behind the banca. Tickets are sold on a first come - first serve basis. Plan to arrive at the ticket office ?-? hour before departure to secure best chance of a seat. It is about a 3.5 - 4.0 hour trip from B?varo to Santo Domingo. The coach trip is comfortable and just as reasonably safe as in a taxi but cheaper.

There are two main stops in Santo Domingo - Parque Enriquillo in the middle of the downtown commercial district (advise not to arrive after dark ) and at the terminal at the corner of Juan S?nchez Ramirez and Ave. M?ximo G?mez near the Nacional Supermercado and just a short distance from the National Theater and the American Consulate

Note: People who desire to go to Las Americas airport from B?varo may request the bus driver to stop at the crossroads to the airport. There is a nearby taxi stand where you can obtain the 1-2 km ride to the terminal.

This was posted by PJU on 2 November ?05

So you just do it backwards!!!

As for how to get to Santo Domingo from Santiago...the information you have is accurate. Taxi (RD$450-500) into Santiago Metro or Caribe Tour station (they're onthe same street), bus to Sto Dgo...

Good luck!!

HB

alternative plan: Hire JJ and your are there quick and safe. email his wife at this address palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

Roc?o will tell you prices and time, and you can compare...

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
I need the same help - but I have five people who have never been to DR before and are just a bit "anxious" about taking a bus and/or taxi. We are flying Jet Blue (hence Santiago arrival) and have reservations in Punta Cana. Any suggestions and/or ways to ease our fears?

Thanks!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Wazoo2,

A hearty welcome to DR1 to you also.

Not knowing how much you are willing to spend to get to PC but here goes;

1. I think it is possible to get a flight from Santiago to PC but have no idea as to how or the price for this service.

2. Take the bus which according to Hillbilly will be about RD$500 for the taxi in Santiago + RD$200 per person for the bus to SD + about DR$200 for the taxi in SD + about RD$250 per person for the bus to PC. Bear in mind that the entire trip will be about 8 hours from Santiago to PC including taxi time.

3. Hire a person like JJ like Hillbilly mentioned. Price ? No idea.

Calculate the cost of the different choices and take your pick.
Good luck and enjoy.

Rick

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I would take a taxi from Santiago to Punta Cana, since there are 5 people in your group and you can spilt the cost. Taxis should be around $200/ 5 people, thats $40 each. The trip will take around 6 hours by taxi, a lot longer by bus.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If you went the bus route each person would pay about DR$600-650 each (US$20) - If a taxi does in fact only cost US$200 (RD$6,600) or US$40 each (RD$1,320) then I would suggest that you do in fact check with JJ that Hillbilly suggested because he has a very good reputation.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here's the latest!!

Rocío and JJ nowhave a website: Welcome To Paradise Transportation

You can go there and make reservations and see what JJ looks like. I told Rocío that she should put up a picture of their little girl (Chrystal)....

For what it's worth: They quoted me a price of between XXX and XXX for a trip with a/c and good music to Punta Cana. the difference would be just here in Punta Cana the PAX is going.

Please send me a PM for the figures they quoted me or go and send an email to Rocío!!

they have a very nice a/c van that can handle 8 people very easily.....

HB

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
Wow - thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will follow up with JJ directly. Can I impose on you for one more recommendation? We will need a hotel room at or near the Santiago airport. Any suggestions? Thanks!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I am from Santiago. I did this in Dec of 2003.

From Santiago to Santo Domingo - Metro (leaves every hour starting at 6 am)

In Santo Domingo go to the parque de independencia and hop on a bus to Higuey. This bus also leaves on the hour. Once in Higuey I took a taxi to my hotel which was in Bavaro. Paid 1,500.

Hope that helps.

mtnestors@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2006
Am taking my first trip to DR. Any advice on airlines that fly from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata? We arrive in Punta Cana at noon and need to get to Puerto Plata where our accomadations are. My daughter is flying in from Lima to Santiago airport at midnight, will she have trouble getting a cab to Puerta Plata.? Thanks to anyone for help!
Bonnie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wazoo: Sort of depends on when you are coming in.
You have the following options:
Marriott Courtyard, brand new, kinds expensive
Platino, less expensive, in town near things of interest
Aloha Sol, less expensive still, inthe center of town
Hotel Gran Almirante, very plush and near everything.
And, depending on when you are coming in there is the HB B&B which as most people know is perfect!!

Takeyour choice.

HB

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
Thanks, Hillbilly! It would actually be for just one night - when we get back to Santiago from Punta Cana and have a flight out at 6 AM the next morning. ;)

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
Hillbilly --

JJ is picking us up - thanks to you! Can you tell me how old their daughter, Chrystal, is? We'd like to bring a gift for her!

Thanks!