Help ! Lol (with Cigars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
I am in Cabarete, first time to the DR. I brought a bunch of Cuban Cohiba Cigars with me because I was told Cabarete was not a good place to get Cigars.

The stock is running low.

I need to replenish and have been told I need to go to Santiago:paranoid:

Is there a good legitimate Cigar store in Puerto Plata??
Cost isnt the issue. I am Canadian and used to high prices on quality Cigars. I just dont want to get sold a bunch of junk.

Is there a Casa Del Habanos in Puerto Plata?
Any help would be wonderful.

BTW.. Beautiful country

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Go to Sosua -- can't remember where it is, but if you're looking for expensive cigars you'll find it. (Surprised there's nothing like that in Cabarete.)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Price is not the determinant of quality as many places sell Cuban counterfits at premium prices. In the plaza in Playa Dorada there is a cigar store located on groud floor that seems to carry a selection of quality cigars. I just can't remember the name of the store.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only place near Sosua to get REAL Cuban Cigars is at the Duty Free Store at the airport. There is a small store that only sells cigars. They have the real thing. You will also pay the real price. If you know someone that works at the airport you can have them go in and buy some. If not, there is another cigar store outside that may have some real Cubans. But I can only vouch for the one inside.

One note, the other Duty Free Stores have only phonies.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
Lol I went to the Cigar Store in Sosua. Bought one only Cohiba Espledido ... figured I would test the product.
$24.00 USD. Seemed about right. Havana is about $21.00.
So I light it up ... blech.. horrible.
Good that I tested first. Anyhow, I tried a Fuentes Opus X. I dont think it was real either. Not sure. If it is the best Dominican example, I will stay Cubana... It was a heck of a lot better than the Fake Esplendido.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
Hard to believe its tough to get a good cigar in the Dominican Republic. That is just wrong. One of my friends is looking into flying to Havana for a day to pick up a bunch. This seems so bizarre. I will go to Puerto Plata and check out the place you guys suggested.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you need to come to Santiago.

You can purchase the better brands of Dominican made cigars at what will be "reasonable prices."

Send me a PM if you need more guidance.

HB

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
I like my cigars...the best place I found to buy cigars is at Hermanns...the little cigar store next to the corner bar on the corner of Pedro Clisante and DR Rosen.

Try the Dominican Cohibas...they come in a tube...they are great, also the torpedos are good also.

Off to Cuba next week....need to replenish my Humidor...Monte Christo #2 and #4....legal ones of course

Last edited:

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
How about dominican cigars?

Why don?t you smoke dominican cigars. There are absolutely fantastic ones. I don?t eat norwegian salmon when I go to Canada! And in Switzerland, where I am from, tourists that buy chocolates from Belgium get locked up.

Playero

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
These are the 2 cigars that I smoke whilst in the DR...and I'm there quite often as Rocky will attest....they are excellent and bought at Hermann's.

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
Lol I went to the Cigar Store in Sosua. Bought one only Cohiba Espledido ... figured I would test the product.
$24.00 USD. Seemed about right. Havana is about $21.00.
So I light it up ... blech.. horrible.
Good that I tested first. Anyhow, I tried a Fuentes Opus X. I dont think it was real either. Not sure. If it is the best Dominican example, I will stay Cubana... It was a heck of a lot better than the Fake Esplendido.

I went in there and found the cigar store pretty overpriced......but I must say they do have a great coffee place there. Spend some time at night there having a coffee and a cigar watching the action across the street at Classicos.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
cohiba, cohiba, cohiba everyone wants cohibas !! thats why people sell so many fake cohiba cigars. actually there are many better cigars than cohibas. you are a cigar smoker so i'm sure you know that already. Partegas, Punch, romeo and Juliet, monte cristo, hoya de nicaragua, etc.

on another note, fakes are easy to spot...box, wrapper, smell, band...most people who sell fake cigars cant get all those things perfect..

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
I would love to smoke a good Dominican Cigar. That is the purpose of the email. I just cannot believe how hard they are to get. lol
If you want salmon in Canada, you go to the supermarket or dock and buy a salmon. I see your point on eating Canadian Salmon. We dont color trout "pink" and sell it as coho...lol

Thanks for the info Hillbilly.
I will go to Santiago .. it will be an experience.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
I have smoked many many Cuban cigars. I love Vegas Robania but find them difficult to locate. I enjoy Cohiba because I like Spicey cigars. Montecristo A is good. Bolivar Robustos or Partigas no. 4 will do just fine too.

I also have smoked Macanudo "black???" cigars and love em. Cannot find one here ???
I travel to the USA all the time and take Siglio II and Siglio IV. I have a Dominican box and remove the wrappers. Same as the rest of the Canadian smokers. lol

When I return from Santiago I will give a full report..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear canbird: If I may be so bold, could you please send me a PM so we can coordinate your trip to Santiago>? I'd like to save you time and effort and, possibly, a bit of $$$$.

Cigars made in Santiago have a world wide reputation for quality and I would enjoy showing you just a bit of that world...

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
CIGARSPIRIT.com Cigares Cubains - Acceuil

If you want real Cubans delivered anywhere, including the U.S. this is the spot. I had them deliver to me in the US a few years ago with no problem. It looks like a large box of candy. They guaranteed delivery. You can call them. I have not used them for a few years, but they are reliable and the price is pretty fair.

You can certainly get them delivered to the DR.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
Hillbilly, Thanks so much for the offer. If we could go to Santiago we would look you up for sure.
We found a little cigar store which sells la ropa? and other medium quality cigars. I smoked them and they are pretty good.

She doesnt sell cubans and says if you find them they will be fake. She also said Opus X are simply not available and if I find them they also will be fakes.
When I get home I will buy some Dominican Cigars and sample them. If I find one I like, I may even stop bringing cubans to the US.. :)

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Opus X

She also said Opus X are simply not available and if I find them they also will be fakes.
When I get home I will buy some Dominican Cigars and sample them. If I find one I like, I may even stop bringing cubans to the US.. :)

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I told you in my pm that Hillbilly had told me that Opus X was exported 100%.

Now Domenico cigars which are located in Punta Cana and today I found out Karl opened in Plaza Tourisol in POP has an outlet in the States where you can order direct delivered from Domenico Cigar LLC, Charlotte NC, U.S.A. here is the link. USA Domenico Cigars

He makes a very good cigar well worth trying a box.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Cafecito

I agree with the previous poster to go to Cafecito across from Playa Dorada....Tim Hall has some some nice long cuts, made in Santiago,
custom cigars, boutique things. Cohibas? Naahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.