Cell phones in Punta Cana and New York

dingo

Oct 2, 2006
Hi:

I'm setting up a second home in Bavaro Beach/Punta Cana this month and I need a cellular phone service that allows me to make and receive calls locally as well as with the United States. I want to minimise or eliminate roaming. I've read here about the use of local sim cards, etc. Where should I establish my original phone service -- in the US or in Punta Cana? Who sends me my bill? When I went to the Verizon store in New York, they told me Verizon in the DR is pretty much a separate operation. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks much.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
The SIM card you're refering to would be for pre-paid calling, therefore no billing. You would use it on your regular cell phone that you'd bring from the States.

E.

Some American phone companies have a working agreement with Orange network, my son's cell worked in Bavaro to call and receive from Canada.
His Canadian company Roger AT&T is affiliated with Singular, so call them and ask if there is an affiliation.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Sugestion, If you wants to eliminate the Roam, the better companies are Centennial and Verizon, both use CDMA tecnology, Check if your cellular has 2 Nam?s so you can activate 2 differentes number, one for NY and Other for Dominican Republic, So you wont need to care where you have your Sim Card because before you came you just have to change nam in your setting telephone.

Centennial has better pre-pay plans than Verizon, and the controlled bill plans you can pay it any time, any where, and bye phone too, and if you pay on time the minutes rollover the next month, if you wants can pay the amount of months you wants.

With Verizon controlled bills you only can pay in a vierzon office, no dealers and when the bill cuts is when you must pay, no before.

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
We always had ridiculous phone bills calling from PC to NYC and vice versa on our cell phones. So recently we started using Skype which enables us to call using our laptop. It is amazing. All you have to do is download - I think its Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website. Skype to Skype calls are free. And you can get a Skype phone number (for your computer)and pay about $.025 per min. We have been using the same $10 forever and we make lots of calls for personal and business reasons.