New in Town, lots of questions

David22

Oct 5, 2006
hey whats up everyone? I have been here in santo domingo for a couple of weeks so far and have a lot of questions about places i should check out (and ways that i can improve and accelerate my spanish language speaking skills). I am a study abroad/public health student from boston, recently graduated from undergrad, and am working at a health clinic here in the city. any advice concerning how to meet people and get settled is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
david

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Private Message me, if you like. Im 31 y/o American guy who moved here this summer. I can give you a heads-up on some things, maybe...

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello, Im Dominican, any question feel free to ask me in spanish or english, I was living and Working for 2 years in Santo Domingo, now Im back to my town in a New Job since last month.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
and what is it you are looking for exactly? Who do you want to mix with? some of the hip bars currently are in the zone, such as Bio (big favorite of 20something middle class kids, over on Sanchez) and the original bar from the same owner just across the street on the corner (Billini con sanchez). I fyou want to see a typical outdoor "bonche" then head to Duarte Square, also on Billini, where there is usually a huge outdoor party. A more sedate spot with somewhat older people, good rock and roll from the old days and an interesting mix of ex pats and dominicans is "el bar de Maria" over on Duarte, otherwise known as Proud Mary's. The discos, over in the newer part of town, are a nother matter.

There are a bunch of cultural activities as well in the Zone, foreign films, music concerts, exhibitions, etc.

There is also a bunch of young American people here, usually students like yourself, some of whom work with NGOs, some of whom teach English, and some of whom are PEace Corps volunteers, and they tend to know one another and hang out together, but currently I couldnt tell you just where to find them.

David22

Oct 5, 2006
thanks for the reply. i really just want to meet some cool people and maybe a nice dominicanwoman, but at the moment i would like to learn as much spanish as possible. also a cheap place to hang out and party is always a plus.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
David,
Your job sounds interesting. Would you care to share any more about it ? Public Health is facinating and I would love to know more about finding a job in the field. What program did you do in Boston. I also have an undergrad from Boston. Best advice I can give is to make friends with similar interests and they'll show you where to hang out. People from work, who you have coffee with in the mornings or see about your day are your best start. Friends will take you around and all of that. This is the way to meet a nice girl. Don't go out on your own just looking for girls, you could meet the wrong sort that way. Have a great day...;)

David22

Oct 5, 2006
lol, thank you gringarubia, hope all is well with you. i have a feeling i know who you are but dont want to guess wrong.