Las Galeras or Las Terrenas?

Saugatucker

Oct 5, 2006
Hello all! I've just discovered this board and am so appreciative of the great info here. We are a group of 4 adults & two kids (ages 6&8) and are looking for a vacation spot for this Feb or March (possibly early Apr). We're looking for snorkeling, gorgeous beaches, other low-key things to do (hiking? exploring?). A hotel with exceptional food & a very laid-back bar is a plus; we've found that traveling with kids means eating at the closest restaurant...a lot! We aren't intersted in AIs or mega resorts or chain hotels, etc.

Long story short, we're looking at DR for the great value and are focusing on Samana. Is there any decent snorkeling here? Would you recommend Las Galeras or Las Terrenas? How far apart are the two? We'd love a hotel on the beach with snorkeling, and maybe a pool. I'm leaning towards Playa Colibri, which looks adorable and sounds like it's got great food. Any thoughts?

Sorry for rambling, thanks in advance for your advice!
Kate in Michigan

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
Hi Kate....tha's a toss-up...but, 1st time i would say go to Las Terrenas... (snorkling, more beaches, etc.) & Colibri is nice ... there are others as well. Las Galeras is a somewhat short drive to the end of the penninsula and you can always go there for a day trip or an overnite...especially for the whales. About a 45-50 minute trip from LT.

check Samana.Net-English-Deutsche-Francais-Italiano-Espanol

Wait and see who else responds as they may have other opinions/options...good luck...sh

greenegirl

Sep 18, 2006
i've been to las galeras and will be returning next month and also staying in las terrenas. we really liked stayin at juan y lolo in las galeras. it was near restaurants, the cottages had kitchens so you could make your meals when you wanted and the town wasn't overrun with tourists.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Las Terrenas is more developed, Las Galeras is more secluded. Either one is situated near what may be the most beautiful beaches on Earth. Whichever, you decide you can't go wrong!

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
I'm leaning towards Playa Colibri, which looks adorable and sounds like it's got great food. Any thoughts?
Hi,

Playa Colibri, looks better in reality, but, is always a but, the restaurant is closed at the moment and when will open up again will NOT be under the same management. Graziano, the former manager, moved to the new hotel opening up in November 2006, Hotel Alisei also in Las Terrenas, on the same road as Colibri but closer to town.
BTW at Colibri you could cook your own meals, all apartments have a full equiped kitchen and could order grocery from Supermecado Lindo or Ray.
Good luck,
WebDev

Mar 27, 2006
Las Terrenas all the way! Playa Colibri is very nice, I've stayed there three times. Alisei is now taking reservations and it will be a step up from Colibri (which is still lovely). Alisei is on the beach, it has around 48 units to choose from, it will offer a restaurant will a top notch cook beginning in November, it has a spa, a beautiful pool and a great staff. Snorkeling, hiking, horse back riding, ATVs. fishing etc. can all be arranged from the front desk. Go for it, you won't regret it!

Mar 27, 2006
I forgot to mention that Alisei also has fully equipped kitchens to make your stay a little easier on the wallet(not that it's expensive). There's several places in town to buy all of your market needs and at least one of them will deliver your groceries to your door. How's that for service?

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Alisei Vs. Colibri

I would stay at Colibri rather than Alisei, I like the beach better there, the sunsets are gorgeous because you are around the point and you are further away from town which makes evenings more quiet. The gardens are lovely at Colibri and more established but I'm sure that the gardens at Alisei will rival them in a tropical minute. You can walk to a number of charming restaurants from either hotel, they are only a 10 minute walk from each other. Have a great time.