Where to Stay in Las Galeras?

David B.

Oct 5, 2006
Hello,

I'm sure I'm re-hashing old ground here, but I searched the forum and didn't find any recent recommendations for lodging in Las Galeras. My wife and I will be there Jan. 24-27, 2007. We think we have it narrowed down to either Villa Serena or El Marinique, but we need input! Money isn't necessarily an issue, although we appreciate a good value and dislike overpaying as much as anyone else. We'd like to be right on the beach. Please advise.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Various options

El Marinique $50 to $60 USD per night -- looked nice had good reviews
A Samana Hotel in Las Galeras, Dominican Republic

Ron y Karin $30 USD/night -- Coldwater
indexen-Your holidays' bungalow at Las Galeras, in Dominican Republic

Las Galeras links

Samana Net, Complete list of available accommodations in the village of Las Galeras and vicinity, Saman? Peninsula, Dominican Republic

I have heard that Serena is overpriced --no personal experience
Moorea Beach is alleged to be nice -- hard to get hold of them sometimes
(check a further down post for phone number)

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
Hello,

I'm sure I'm re-hashing old ground here, but I searched the forum and didn't find any recent recommendations for lodging in Las Galeras. My wife and I will be there Jan. 24-27, 2007. We think we have it narrowed down to either Villa Serena or El Marinique, but we need input! Money isn't necessarily an issue, although we appreciate a good value and dislike overpaying as much as anyone else. We'd like to be right on the beach. Please advise.

If you want the hotel to be "right on the beach" in Las Galeras, you got one choice...Hotel Todo Blanco phone (809) 538-0201 e-mail: info@hoteltodoblanco.com ask for Maurizio, he is a dive instructor also. Don't know the new prices, but in March 06 was charging $62 per room for 2 persons. Someone else stay there quit often, belive is Chyrimoya she post a report a while back.

Nothing wrong with the other two hotels, I visit only one of them Villa Serena oceanfront but not on Las Galeras beach, and end up staying next door at Villa Casa Lotus, oceanfront and a lovely place at reasonable price.
My 2 centavos.
J.T.

David B.

Oct 5, 2006
What makes it so difficult is that the "reveiws" of places vary so widely. On tripadvisor.com, for instance, some people describe Villa Serena as a wonderful paradise while others say it literally stank. How can both of these descriptions apply to the same place? Likewise, by book "The Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic" says there are better options than El Marinique for the money, while many online reviews say it is just as nice as Villa Serena for far less money.

So I'm fishing for a reliable recommendation....

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Club Bonito has closed as a hotel. I posted this (below) on another thread yesterday:

"We just got back to Las Galeras and my neighbor who was babysitting our hotel tells me the French couple have quit hotel Moorea beach, the pool is drained and the hotel is closed. It seems the owner didn't want to make any of the needed repairs to the hotel and opted to close it instead.

And although many may already know it, hotel Club Bonito has also closed as of Sept. 1st and will reopen sometime in the future as a private apartment complex. I was also told that a wall collapsed recently during the Bonito remodeling and a worker was killed when it fell upon him. And finally, it seems that hotel Todo Blanco next to Club Bonito was also sold...."

As of today, there are only 3 oceanfront hotels, Todo Blanco, el Marinique and Villa Serena and 1 oceanfront reasort, Casa Marina Bay, that are still open. There are other hotels still open in Las Galeras away from the ocean.

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
Comparison

The reason you are having a hard time finding a comparison is because you cannot compare El Marinique and Villa Serena. It totally depends on what your expectations are and what you want during this trip. We have been at both, and have enjoyed both, yet they were very different.

If you want to go to a very nice "Hotel" with an elegant, laid back atmosphere, then try Villa Serena.

If you want to stay in a "Cabana, Casita, Cottage" with a tropical flair and sense of local flavor and community, then try El Marinique.

Don't limit yourself to one or the other, if you stay at one,
dine at the other.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Our experience was 2000, so not to recent but we stayed at Villa Serena and the location, garden, room were nicer than El Marinique, but food was more expensive and less variety than El Marinique. Villa Serena had a very European feel to it, if there is such a thing, Andy and Nicole at El Marinique, WERE VERY FRIENDLY and the food was great.

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
I stayed at El Castillo last Jan and loved it. Rented it thru Juan y Lolo although I wouldn't recommend their other properies.No need for AC the breeze off the ocean was great and the interior stone walls were gorgeous at night.

daudi

Nov 26, 2006
hi, i have heard nice things regarding Casa Lotus. did you feel your room was quiet and private from other guests? Also is there reasonable shade on the beach? thanks, david

Chino moreno Jr.

Sep 12, 2006
el marinique

I just returned last night from DR and I stayed @ El Mar for 2 nights.
I would recommend it. The apartment was clean, comfortable and designed very nicely and it's VERY quiet here. It feels like a real vacation. Andy & Nicole know how to run a hotel and were totally helpful. I didn't look at Villa serena but have heard it's over priced. My vote would be el mar for sure.

malin1

Dec 19, 2006
Staying in Las Galeras

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you go with Villa Serena. I'm planning a week there in Mar. 07. I've only seen the one review of 'serena' on this board from 8/06. I'd also like to know any information about charter flights from Santo Domingo to Arroyo Barill airport.

Hello,

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just returned last night from DR and I stayed @ El Mar for 2 nights.
I would recommend it. The apartment was clean, comfortable and designed very nicely and it's VERY quiet here. It feels like a real vacation. Andy & Nicole know how to run a hotel and were totally helpful.
I second this opinion. We stayed at El Marinique for two nites last week, and had a most outstanding experience. Andy and Nicole are wonderful hosts! Our loft apartment was very clean, nice and most comfortable. The grounds are garden-like.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Maybe because it's late but I can't find away to contact El Marinique. Could you tell me. It looks really nice.
Thanks!

Yngritt

Dec 29, 2006
What makes it so difficult is that the "reveiws" of places vary so widely. On tripadvisor.com, for instance, some people describe Villa Serena as a wonderful paradise while others say it literally stank. How can both of these descriptions apply to the same place? Likewise, by book "The Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic" says there are better options than El Marinique for the money, while many online reviews say it is just as nice as Villa Serena for far less money.

So I'm fishing for a reliable recommendation....

We stay at La Isleta, apartments with loft, you open the window and there is the ocean, fantastic view. We read first in tripadvisor, then we did some search and found the address on samana.net the owner is a hot guy from France, Dominique. My sister said Hi to him if you see him, from Monique.

Ingrid and Daniel

P.S. We are going back to Las Galeras for a few days in March 2007, then to Las Terrenas at Los Casitas en el Jardin Secreto, lovely place we discover last year.
I&D