South shore of Samana penninsula?

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
Wow , what a great source of info you people are! I fell in love with Samana after I saw it in the Transat holidays book and after doing a bit of research I have booked my husband and me into the Royal Golden Bahia Principe Samana. I was torn between some other options in Las Galeras and Las Terrenas but loved the look of this resort up on the cliff. Apparently it is being totally renovated. Anyway since I have found this site I am starting to have second thoughts as I read alot about the north coast but very little about the south. We are also right beside Cayo Levantado which I now understand will be a port for cruise ships. Yikes, I thought I had discovered an undeveloped paradise. I guess I'm a few years too late.
WE are hoping to do a day trip or two over to the north side to see Playa Rincon and some of the other beaches. Is it easy to get around on your own if you rent a jeep? Also going to go whale watching and to Los Haitises as well as El Limion waterfall. Anything else that anybody can suggest or info on what is not to be missed in our short week would be appreciated.

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
Too much?

Thanks, is Punta Bonita in Las Terrenas? I thought the Samana area looked fairly small and that day trips to all these things was possible. Am I being to ambitious? Maybe I'll have to save a few things as a reason to return.

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
u can do day trips...rent jeep

any of these places is easily accessible in a day trip. Rincon is to the east (not north side) and fairly close to where u are staying...just take main road (east) in front of hotel and look for sign that says Rincon (left)

Las Terrenas is 40 minutes away and Bonita another 10-15 after you get off the coast road. You can take a look at Coson as well. You will pass the falls at El Limon (right side) on the way to LT and would be a seperate day trip in and of itself.

get on samana.net and check the maps section.

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
wonderful!

Thanks for the help! I seem to find more and more info each time I go on-line. Of course this also seems to create more questions; but I have until Feb to get all my answers and it's interesting reading everybody else's concerns.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
When driving towards playa Rincon

Make sure you have your eyes peeled, the sign for the turn-off towards playa rincon is small and on the left side of the road at a small unassuming fork, of which you'll pass several before you reach the sign towards playa rincon.

Take the dirt road towards playa rincon, until you reach a slightly larger than 10 huts settlement where you have to make a right turn just before a colmado onto the road leading down from the ridge towards the beach... it was/is quite rocky driving, so make sure you rent a jeepeta..

It is worth the hassle though!

Enjoy the ride and the beach.

MD

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
good tip

Sounds like it might be tricky, but that's fine. Fortunately I have a husband who loves getting lost and then through his sheer genious finding the correct way to where we were going. Or is this all men. HeHe:glasses:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sounds like it might be tricky, but that's fine. Fortunately I have a husband who loves getting lost and then through his sheer genious finding the correct way to where we were going. Or is this all men. HeHe:glasses:

I'm sure you'll do fine.. if you feel unsure about the road just ask a local, they will point you there..

When there, try some of the grilled fish, some locals are fishing and selling illegally on the beach and can cook up a nice meal..

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The intersection of the Samana-Las Galeras highway and the Rincon Road is fairly well marked with a sign. Also, if you will go to the Attractions menu of A Visitors Guide to the Dominican Republic's Samana Peninsula you will find Playa Rincon listed. Click on that sub-menu and you will get a good description of the beach including a picture of the beach road intersection in the village of Rincon. Both intersections are marked so you should not miss them.
"...selling illegally on the beach"...???????? If they are selling illegally, then EVERY vendor on a beach or street in the DR is illegal. They've been there for years and I highly doubt they are "illegal." BTW, the last two of the little stands nearest the Cana Frio (cold stream) have the best food.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
You will have a great time in Samana; El Rincon es definately worth visiting if you're into beaches that seem untouched; just make sure you're at the end of the beach (the very tip so that you can enjoy the river and the beach that meet. Also, make sure you visit El Limon waterfalls (by horse)--I can't remember the specific tour guide that took me but I prefer it bc they serve delicious (non-expensive) food after the trip and you get there from the top of mountains rather than the bottom (I have the name of the tour guide at home; i'll post the name when i find it)...you can do this the same day you visit Las Terrenas...but wake up early and do the waterfall first. Also, going to the town (Santa Barbara de Samana) is a must just to get a quiant feel of the town and locals. If you really want to see the whales the season for this starts Jan 15 and ends March 15th.

Good luck!

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
As promised, I found the name and number to the inexpensive tour guides that can take you from the top of the waterfall scenery by horse to the bottom. It's called: Parada Maria y Miguel. There phone number is 809-282-7699. Do stick around for the food they serve after---it is amazing and they serve you soo much you'd want to go again just for that. Enjoy! And remember to get there early so that after you're finished you can hitchhike (yes it's ok to do it in Samana) to Las Terrenas or get the person who took you to the stop pick you up at a specific time (people in Samana are actually punctual unlike most dominicans). You can spend the rest of the day there. I've heard Las Galeras is a good party place at night...is this true?

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
Language barrier?

Thanks for all the great tips. How will we make out talking to the locals in English? I'm sure we will try to learn some spanish phrases and get a translation book, but can you get by most of the time with English?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The intersection of the Samana-Las Galeras highway and the Rincon Road is fairly well marked with a sign. Also, if you will go to the Attractions menu of A Visitors Guide to the Dominican Republic's Samana Peninsula you will find Playa Rincon listed. Click on that sub-menu and you will get a good description of the beach including a picture of the beach road intersection in the village of Rincon. Both intersections are marked so you should not miss them.
"...selling illegally on the beach"...???????? If they are selling illegally, then EVERY vendor on a beach or street in the DR is illegal. They've been there for years and I highly doubt they are "illegal." BTW, the last two of the little stands nearest the Cana Frio (cold stream) have the best food.

Well, of course I never checked their permits.. but if they bury the food and implements in a box about 50 m away from the tent, marked only with a stick and look around suspiciously they are not operating a legit business..

Thanks for the link towards the signs, I did have to keep my eyes peeled the first time I went there by myself.. btw I've had good food at both stands..

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"...but if they bury the food and implements in a box about 50 m away from the tent, marked only with a stick and look around..."

As their food stands don't have a secure place to leave these things at the end of the day, I suspect they hide them at the beach rather than have to carry the items back to the village, a mile and a half up the hill.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
"...but if they bury the food and implements in a box about 50 m away from the tent, marked only with a stick and look around..."

As their food stands don't have a secure place to leave these things at the end of the day, I suspect they hide them at the beach rather than have to carry the items back to the village, a mile and a half up the hill.

This was during the day and not at the end or beginning