I Need Advice

miesperanza

Oct 9, 2006
This is my first time posting here, I really hope it helps me. This is my situation: I'm Dominican. I met my American girlfriend last March (03/06), we've been living together since May and now she's pregnant. The only BIG problem we have, is that I enterred the country (USA) illegally, which means, as far as I know, that if we marry here I should go back to DR and even pay a penalty that could ban me from entering the country for up to 10 years. I've visited a few lawyers, but they all coincide telling me that the best I can do is to wait for the new immigration bill ( which seems that will never be approved), that's what I've been doing so far, but I'm getting desperate.

I've been considering trying to go back the same way I enterred (unnoticed), and once there, marry her or that she request a Fiance visa to get me back and marry her here, but it's my believe that the process could take more than 24 months as spouse or fiance.

Because she had never visited the DR, just in case it may help us in the future, I sent her in May, so that she can have prove that she met me there, and as soon as we realize the she was pregnant, I sent her back again, just to be covered in case i decide to go back and make it look like I've never been here and not be penalized.

Am I doing the right thing?
Please, help me figure this out!!!!

MCB

Oct 10, 2006
Advice

Since your girlfriend is pregnat I don't think it's a good idea to leave her. I agree with the lawyers advice to wait for the immg. laws. Don't get inpatient, being pregnant is tought and she really needs you. What if it takes a long time for you to come back, you will miss on the best time for you and your new born life, you can never replace that. Just pray to God that things will work out for the best.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
The only BIG problem we have, is that I enterred the country (USA) illegally, which means, as far as I know, that if we marry here I should go back to DR and even pay a penalty that could ban me from entering the country for up to 10 years. Am I doing the right thing?
Please, help me figure this out!!!!

first off, how on earth did you get into the US illegally? please inform me, id love to know! LOL
i agree with the lawyers on this one, rather than pay a hefty fine or be banned from a country just wait it out. the bad thing is you are leaving a pregnant woman behind and your child to be....not a good thing...:paranoid:

leeanna

Feb 22, 2004
don't leave!Keep a low profile.If you go back you may never get back to her.I know a man who went illegal and just got thier perminant residency.He has lived there 10 years.Keep head low and good luck.