help!8years here.still no visa for my Dominican husband(not legally married)

leeanna

Feb 22, 2004
I have lived here for 8 years.I am an American resident.I met my Dominican husband and after on night,BAM, pregnant with twins!We stayed here and made a buisness,we reciently sold the buisness and really want to go to USA.I want to return to a better life for my kids.We have tried the consulat many times,but made the mistake of being honest and telling them about me being a resident and the kids are American.The lawyers say they will never give him a tourist visa cause he will want to live there with us.I can sponser him but it will take about 6 years.I am desperate.I don't want to break up our family and go without him.I can become a citizen if I live there for 2 1/2 years,then sponser him and he should get there about a year later.I really don;t want to be seperated for 3 years!
Anyone know anything that may help!!
I really want to go home!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have lived here for 8 years.I am an American resident.
Best you check with an immigration lawyer.

I think you may have lost your resident status if you have been out of the U.S. for more than 12 months. Even if you have been going back and forth, I heard they are cracking down on legal residents that spend most of their time out of the U.S. Six months and more out of the country, U.S. immigration states that it is up to immigration whether you are allowed back in or not.

Check with a lawyer.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
You should just go the citizenship route. He will never get a tourist visa. Even if you become a citizen, it is now taking up to 2 years and in any case no less than 20 months to get the visa. SantiagoDR is right, you better get back and stay in the US lest you be kicked out because you really are not a resident if you spend all your time in the DR.

-Tim

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I just got of the phone with the USCIS who are incharge of resident cards. They say you have to be back in the US befor a year come's up. As long as I come back with in the year my resident card for US is safe. And I can leave back to the DR the next day, as long as I check in I can go right back for another year. So it looks like you have lost your resident status unless you were coming back every year, sorry for the bad news.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
We were told the last time we went through immigration that a return trip was needed at least every 6 months to maintain residency. This was a recent trup Just another story of one hand of the government not knowing what the other is doing.
Windeguy, what you were told is probably correct. Unfortunately SURFUP69 called the USCIS, and they don't REALLY deal with residency, the State Dept does. There have been cases I know of where people have been refused entry after only 3 months away. It pretty much depends on the immigration folks at your port of entry. They have the lattitude to do what they think is best. Of course you can fight it but you will already have been refused entry and sent back and have to appeal from the DR. I personally wouldn't chance it and anyway, IMHO if you aren't living here most of the time you shouldn't be getting the benefits of residency anyway.

-Tim

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
A lawyer, especially a Dominican one, is not going to be able to help her out here. I didn't read this closely at first but if she has been out of the US for 8 years, there is no way they will be letting here back in. They will assume she has abandoned her residency for sure. It doesn't look good.

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I have lived here for 8 years.I am an American resident.I met my Dominican husband and after on night,BAM, pregnant with twins!We stayed here and made a buisness,we reciently sold the buisness and really want to go to USA.I want to return to a better life for my kids.We have tried the consulat many times,but made the mistake of being honest and telling them about me being a resident and the kids are American.The lawyers say they will never give him a tourist visa cause he will want to live there with us.I can sponser him but it will take about 6 years.I am desperate.I don't want to break up our family and go without him.I can become a citizen if I live there for 2 1/2 years,then sponser him and he should get there about a year later.I really don;t want to be seperated for 3 years!
Anyone know anything that may help!!
I really want to go home!

Okis guys it looks to me that she has been doing what all LPR do when they stay in DR, they go back once a year. She obviously went back to have her kids in the states. (American kids). The other thing is she consulted a lawyer already, he would have told her if her greencard is done. She might not be able to get her citizenship. My friend did the whole going back and forth thing as LPR and when he applied for his citizenship, he was told he would have to stay in the states for 2 straight years. You want to be a resident of the US you have to LIVE here.

sunshine

Lmao Hillbily yo are too mucho!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am still confused as to what is 'here' what is 'there' and 'citizen' of which nation? OP needs to be more clear or maybe i'm just stupid today. Whats a LPR?

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Reading the original post would indicate to me that "here" is the DR and that "there" is the U.S.

I have lived here for 8 years.I am an American resident.I met my Dominican husband and after on night,BAM, pregnant with twins!We stayed here and made a buisness,we reciently sold the buisness and really want to go to USA.