Dioxin information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Dioxin is 10,000 times more poisonous than cyanide. (From a search "Dioxin" in past posts in DR1). NB... On February 10th, 2006, Johns Hopkins released cancer news as follows.
1. Do NOT heat food in a plastic container in a microwave. (This especially applies to foods containing fat, as the high heat releases dioxin from the plastic into the food)
2. Do Not use water derived from ice frozen in any plastic bottles. (Freezing water in plastic bottles releases dioxin from plastic into the water.)
3. Do Not cover food in a ceramic container covered with any plastic wrap like Saran. (As the food is being cooked, the high heat melts toxins including dioxin from the plastic, which then drips down into the food. If the food must be covered, use a piece of paper, which is less poisonous than plastic.)
The above conclusions were also noted by Dr. Fujimoto of Castle Hospital in a recent TV program.
I am not a medical scientist, and am simply quoting this for your consideration. It has changed my use of plastic.... Canadian Bob.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Bob for valuable information, I have always avoided heating with plastics thinking with my common sense it might be dangerous. Now it is said in public. Curious part is that coldness causing the same, that was new.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
anitaemma, something to consider is the use of plastic containers to freeze water for ice cubes. For years I used aluminium ice trays, then they became "obselete" as it was easier to "twist" plastic ice trays to remove the ice. Guess what! I am now searching for aluminium ice trays...! Canadian Bob

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
G

gary short

Are you suggesting we should eat food that doesn't have parents??????

G

gary short

Geez I just ate two pounds of bbq prime rib.......I'm so full I can't eat any green thingys!!!!!

BKS

Jul 1, 2005
Myth

Dioxin is 10,000 times more poisonous than cyanide. (From a search "Dioxin" in past posts in DR1). NB... On February 10th, 2006, Johns Hopkins released cancer news as follows..............The above conclusions were also noted by Dr. Fujimoto of Castle Hospital in a recent TV program.
I am not a medical scientist, and am simply quoting this for your consideration. It has changed my use of plastic.... Canadian Bob.

The subject of this thread is an internet myth or "erumor".

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-microwave-dioxin.htm
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm

According to the FDA, ? With regard to dioxins, we have seen no evidence that plastic containers or films contain dioxins and know of no reason why they would.?

In any case, this thread has no content related to the DR. The moderators should close it.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey BKS! My post was to residents of the DR, and was for their consideration only. Why you castigate my post as not having any content related to the DR is nonsence, as is your recommendation that the Moderators should close it. The majority of people in the DR use bottled water. My post was meant to provide useful information to the DR and anyone else that reads the DR1. Be aware that the reference which you quote, clearly notes at the bottom that it is SPONSORED by "Sports Bottles" (Free shipping); "Buy plastic containers" and "Plastic shrink wrap."
Have a good day..... Canadian Bob.

BKS

Jul 1, 2005
Hey BKS! My post was to residents of the DR, and was for their consideration only. Why you castigate my post as not having any content related to the DR is nonsence, as is your recommendation that the Moderators should close it. The majority of people in the DR use bottled water. My post was meant to provide useful information to the DR and anyone else that reads the DR1. Be aware that the reference which you quote, clearly notes at the bottom that it is SPONSORED by "Sports Bottles" (Free shipping); "Buy plastic containers" and "Plastic shrink wrap."
Have a good day..... Canadian Bob.

It is hard to see how your information can be useful when it perpetuates fears that are not scientifically sound, and which have been refuted. My post aimed to provide some facts. You suggest that these facts are not to be trusted because one web site that discusses them has sponsorship from the plastics industry, but you provide no evidence that the facts are incorrect.

Your original post even perpetuates the internet hoax that the source of the information was from Johns Hopkins University! This is not true. Here is what Johns Hopkins University has to say about it:

"OC&PA: What do you make of this recent email warning that claims dioxins can be released by freezing water in plastic bottles?

RH: No. This is an urban legend. There are no dioxins in plastics. In addition, freezing actually works against the release of chemicals. Chemicals do not diffuse as readily in cold temperatures, which would limit chemical release if there were dioxins in plastic, and we don?t think there are."

The rest of the article ("Researcher Dispels Myth of Dioxins and Plastic Water Bottles") is worth reading too (and it is not sponsored by any suspicious companies):
http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins.html

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
BKS

Interesting info and to the point. I wrote my post(#4) trying to show what the real culprits of dioxin exposure are. I had strong doubts of the OP.

Canadian Bob, I must agree with BKS that the subject is very general and not DR related, of course its up to the moderator to close it. As long as it is allowed we can keep exchanging ideas. No harm done.

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
It will be useful to find out the scientific truth about plastics and it will be a relief if no plastics contain dioxin. The statement attributed to R.H. regarding "There are no dioxins in plastics...... and we don't think there are."
is unconvincing unless backed by scientific proof.
I have no intentions of getting into a p.....g match over this. Over & out. Canadian Bob

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Sorry I did not check on this thread earlier, but my work, The Temas Blog and renovations on our home have been consuming my every waking hour (and then some!).

Bob, I'm afraid that BKS is right -- this is an internet rumor that has been circulating for years (my wife sent me a version of it several years ago), with the dates and "authorities" changed to make it sound fresh. Just check out the US-FDA page on this subject -- it is dated 2002:
Plastics and the Microwave

Your first clue that this information was not quite kosher was the warning about freezing food/liquids in plastic. It's heating plastics that has always concerned food safety experts, but years of studies by European experts on materials & articles in contact with food have always ended up with conclusions similar to the FDA page I cited above.

If you lived in the DR any length of time (as I know you have, Bob), you know that urban legends and rumors tend to have a life of their own there. Let's not help that process along, ok?

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.