Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: dominican access to global financial markets

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default dominican access to global financial markets

    Assuming it was actually possible for a poor Dominican to scrape a couple of pesos together and not squander them right away, would he or she be able to invest them in anything other than Dominican government debt or local bank offerings.

  2. #2
    *** I love DR1 ***
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That is a good question. I don't see why a Dominican would not be able to place money into say a T,Rowe price type financial vehicle. However I am not certain.

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is always ANOECA!

  4. Likes wuarhat, pauleast, rice&beans liked this post
  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why would they want too ?. The global markets are crumbling at present, interest rates at record lows, the next 6 months will be revealing to the major economies as the true level of debt becomes knowledge and non serviceable. True some shares have done well, for example, RR.L (Rolls Royce on the London market), more than doubled in 2 years on the back of a strong order bookand downstream servicing agreements, but they are certainly the exception rather than the norm.

  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    There is always ANOECA!
    Where do I sign up?

  7. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayaguanaman View Post
    The global markets are crumbling at present,
    Really, The S&P is at a historical high, where do you get your market data from?

    SPDR S&P 500 ETF Chart - Yahoo! Finance

  8. Likes pauleast liked this post
  9. #7
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Really, The S&P is at a historical high, where do you get your market data from?

    SPDR S&P 500 ETF Chart - Yahoo! Finance
    It's propped up by QE money, $85 billion a month. If bank bonds were such hot commodities, the Fed wouldn't have to buy them.

    When that flow stops, the stock market goes very soft.

    Fact is keeping the masses focused on their decent 401K's keeps the natives lest restless. That keeps eyes off eviscerated home equity.

    Keep in mind that Fed borrowing is separate from the "deficit." If you want a clear picture of the US financial health, add the deficit to the QE bonds. The number is enormous.

  10. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayaguanaman View Post
    Why would they want too ?. The global markets are crumbling at present, interest rates at record lows, the next 6 months will be revealing to the major economies as the true level of debt becomes knowledge and non serviceable. True some shares have done well, for example, RR.L (Rolls Royce on the London market), more than doubled in 2 years on the back of a strong order bookand downstream servicing agreements, but they are certainly the exception rather than the norm.
    They would want to because the only safe and sure way to wealth is through wealth creation. Investing and reinvesting in companies whose book value goes up year after year, who increase their sales and pay their owners more year after year, etc. Granted it has been tricky to get to get a good price on these kinds of shares lately, but waiting for the opportunities has always been how the game has been played. I haven't seen the crumbling scenario you describe, but let's say it does come to pass. There are hundreds of companies that have plenty of cash or sales to cover their debt and have been giving their owners raises for years. Their shares would only become more of a bargain.

  11. Likes pauleast liked this post
  12. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    It's propped up by QE money, $85 billion a month. If bank bonds were such hot commodities, the Fed wouldn't have to buy them.

    When that flow stops, the stock market goes very soft.

    Fact is keeping the masses focused on their decent 401K's keeps the natives lest restless. That keeps eyes off eviscerated home equity.

    Keep in mind that Fed borrowing is separate from the "deficit." If you want a clear picture of the US financial health, add the deficit to the QE bonds. The number is enormous.
    For various reasons, that change from time to time, the economy has been grinding on for millennia. The current reason behind it has never had any effect on how well the money spends.

  13. #10
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    It's propped up by QE money, $85 billion a month. If bank bonds were such hot commodities, the Fed wouldn't have to buy them.

    When that flow stops, the stock market goes very soft.

    Fact is keeping the masses focused on their decent 401K's keeps the natives lest restless. That keeps eyes off eviscerated home equity.

    Keep in mind that Fed borrowing is separate from the "deficit." If you want a clear picture of the US financial health, add the deficit to the QE bonds. The number is enormous.
    All true.

    However, I learned long ago that you trade the market you have, not the one you want or the one you think should be....and it has been a heck of a nice run for 2013.

    To stay DR related, and to answer the OP's question, its citizens are not limited to the local financial markets.


    Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

  14. Likes wuarhat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO