Dominicans in Perth Amboy, NJ?

HijodeBonao

Oct 14, 2006
I am from Perth Amboy, NJ and to be honest although I live here I want to know more about the Dominican community in here, especially how this particular community can be compared with other areas in the U.S. with high concentrations of Dominicans. That is because despite my name I am not a Dominican. I apologize if I sound like an imposter or if I offend anybody here for having a name that sounds like I were Dominican. I just picked a username and at that same time I was thinking about the "Sons of Italy" (Hijo de ____). That's when I noticed some Dominicans I know come from Bonao. I am actually a Peruvian American. Well anyway, here's what I've noticed about our Dominican community.

Although according to the Census taken in 2000, Perth Amboy was only 19% Dominican, I estimate to be much higher. It's largely because of the large illegal Dominican population, the recent arrivals from the Dominican Republic that have arrived since then and the decline of other communities including the Polish and the Puerto Ricans. Yes, Perth Amboy has seen a decline in the Puerto Rican population. Puerto Ricans used to account for 3/4 of the Hispanics in the city but those days are long gone. Today, Dominicans make up the largest ethnic group in Perth Amboy. I estimate the number to be around 30% of the city?s population.

Dominicans are spread throughout Perth Amboy however because Dominicans are statistically the poorest major ethnic group in the city, there still relatively few of them in the more middle-class neighborhoods. An overwhelming number of Dominicans in the city are young, poor, and first generation immigrants that lack a formal education that came from the Dominican Republic?s rural countryside but then again that phenomeneon is seen throughout the US. However this does not hinder many of them from progressing. The Dominicans own a significant number of the small businesses and most of the Hispanic-owned businesses in Perth Amboy whether they be bodegas, small restaurants, travel agencies, taxi companies, or beauty salons. There is a restaurant by the name of Bonao Restaurant that became so popular it now has two locations. The newer one is on Amboy Avenue and has a bar but many residents say that the original Bonao serves much better food. Also, many of the city?s Dominican youth are attending colleges despite the fact that many of them are the first ones in their families to go on to college. I read up stats (and actually put it on wikipedia) that 21% of all second generation Dominican Americans over the age of 25 have a college degree compared to 12% of all U.S. born Puerto Ricans and 13% of all U.S. born Mexicans. I have always held the opinion that despite being under abysmal circumstances, Dominicans strive very hard in whatever they do. I mean, Dominicans are statistically the poorest ethnic group in the United States but they and their children make great strides to move up the socioeconomic ladder. Although others may not see their progress, statistics like the one aforementioned could easily confute the stereotypes that Dominicans are "lazy" and "stupid".

Despite the large number of Dominicans the city has, since Dominicans are a relatively recent group they still don?t have much of a voice in city politics. The council president is Puerto Rican and the mayor is half. The rest of the council is White (I think Italian and Polish to be more specific).

Is there anything else I should know about the city's Dominican community? I ask bc no matter how much I may study and read up on Dominican and Dominican American culture although I may learn a lot, I will never have a perception of a Dominican. Like I said, I am not Dominican. Thanks.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Hey Bonao,

First off, many people on this board are not dominican, we love seeing people from all over. It's also nice to see other latinos on this board which is usually not the case--and what's more, saying something positive about us--or at least objective.

Since you're on the topic, I used to work as a loan officer down town (nyc) not too long ago w/ a non-profit organization that served mostly immigrants; most of the immigrants were hispanics; and most of them were dominican. The people ranged from taxi drivers to beauticians owners, Icy stand owners (frio frio/piragua) bodega owners, etc. When they realized I was dominican they confided in me a bit more so when I asked how much they report on taxes, they would say things like "well, u know, I only report x amount, but I actually make x"....the amount so many of them report is significantly lower than what they really make. I mean do you know the average cab driver makes 70-90K a year??? but since no one is on their back to see how much they make, they can get away with under reporting. They also tend to have jobs they wouldn't need to report at all such as babysitting, baking cakes at home, selling clothes from home, doing people's hair from home,catering from home, making, designing and selling furniture, fixing computers/equipment, instrumental lessons for kids (i.e. drums, piano, guira), renting out rooms or their cabs when they are not using it...I've even been to dentists and doctors who work from home bc they haven't passed their exams bc of their poor english---and they are brilliant; they simply turn their living rooms into a waiting room. We often don't see their economic progress directly since they tend to invest more in the DR than the US (many dreaming they will return to live comfortably); it's amazing how many people who live in small Apartments live in huge homes that they've been building over the years--in the DR. Anyway, I've always been curious if their avg. income as an ethnicity is really being reflected.

Eddie J.

Oct 4, 2006
Close as you can get!

For those of you that are Dominican and here in the US leagal or not i support you 100%.Why? It;s very simple.You are here looking to make better lives.I am an American with a dual residency.I have a future wife from the Moca area and two beautiful children with her thanks to God.I am self employed in the DR and travel to and from quiet often.The point of the matter is that most of the Dominicans abroad are their own worst enemy.Why? They donot want to change.As hard working,serious people dealing with the everyday life and crises the word change is not in their volcabruary. Their comes a point and time in everyones life that they have to stand and say enought is enought and do what is needed to be done. I challenge any Dominican here in the US to step forward and i will stand with 100%.Stand alone and you will be defeated.Stand together and conquer all.Viva DR!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hijo,

I know Perth Amboy well. I LOVE Bonao Restaurant. Whenever, I am in NJ I like to frequent this spot. I gave Bonai a lot of my money, lol. Yeah, I still have to do the one on Fayette St...Glad to hear that the brothers have expended to Amboy Ave...I tried to bring send them to New Brunswick area, but they were like, "naw!"

I agree with you on the fact that Dominicans are a vital part of the revitalization of Perth Amboy. The issue is leadership and close out in the council. The town needs a leader that has the cash (hence the community support) to back up the current leadership and negotiate for appointed and other leadership positions.

Compared to other counties around the country where Dominicans are in significant numbers (say over 5,000) they have a strong political presence. Sadly, Perth Amboy is an anomaly. I compare it to locations in Atlantic City, NJ; Montgomery County, Maryland; Providence, RI; and Lawrence, MA. Where the numbers are low but the political force is strong. We even have to consider places like Texas. Overall, there is very strong and powerful Dominican leadership in NJ. The question to ask then is why there has not been a concerted effort to zero-in on Perth Amboy, NJ as a target on where Dominicans can cause a paradigm shift to their favor. Just my 2 cents on the issue.