Re: Importing into the DR

E

Ed

Jim,

Thanks for the GREAT posting. I just have one question. Whom did you pay the RD 1200 tip to? It seems the tip cost you more than the duties.

Ed

J

Jim Hinsch

I really don't know what official capacity my helpers held at the terminal, but they did have airport id. I believe they were independent customs brokers, with offices in the freight terminal. They were the first to offer assistance when I arrived and it was agreed that if they succeeded in lowering my total costs, a portion of my savings would go to them as a tip. Customs valued the items as they saw fit, and it was OK'd 4 times by various customs agents, which I imagine they do to prevent corruption.

The tip cost US$75 and the duties, taxes, and commisions combined cost me US$87, but had I paid the against the original "declared value" on my paperwork, and using tax rates of finished goods vs. parts, it could have cost me more than the paid duty, taxes, commision, and tip combined. They were successful in getting my shipments valuation lowered by letting customs decide.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

T

Tom

It's a matter of scamming the government out of tax revenues. You are happy, they are happy, if the government takes the money it will be poorly spent or stolen anyway, that is generally the way corruption happens at the lower levels of the government.