Provincial health insurance for immigrants

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
this question has come up and I know in Ontario there is a three month waiting period before an immigrant can qualify. Heck even if a Canadian goes to the DR for more than 6 months they loose their coverage and have to start over.

Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Public Information - Ontario Health Insurance - Questions and Answers

So for those that have gone through the process did you get any insurance during the waiting period ?

I thought this was important for those waiting for their husband/wife's visa and haven't given this any thought.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
this question has come up and I know in Ontario there is a three month waiting period before an immigrant can qualify. Heck even if a Canadian goes to the DR for more than 6 months they loose their coverage and have to start over.

Anna, it's not 6 months out of Ontario it's 153 days in Ontario(about 7 months out)

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Yes we bought private insurance

I figured better safe than sorry. It cost $433 for the 3 month waiting period and covered my husband and step son.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I remember when I called to change my name on my MSI, that I asked about getting my husband coverage once he comes to Cda.

This was back in Feb 2006, so forgive me...if I'm incorrect. But I'm pretty sure the lasdy told me to come in to the MSI office with my husband, and they would issue him a MSI card on the spot.

I will confirm in a few weeks once he comes...

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and the office is in Dartmouth, in Burnside.

Again I'll confirm for sure once I go through the prcess in a few weeks.

Lisa

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
In Ontario if you want your husband/wife covered with medical insurance you have to get private insurance for the waiting period. (3 months)
You can apply for the health card once you have a piece of mail verifying their address (ie bank account) or if their name is on the lease.
Call the Ministry of Health and they have a list of documents they will accept to verify the address.
Once you apply for the health card , they will tell you at the office the date you'll get it and when the coverage will start.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
So for those that have gone through the process did you get any insurance during the waiting period ?

The first time I lived in Canada as tourist/student, yes I did. I bought Blue Cross. But then, when I returned as landed immigrat, I did not even think about it. :eek: I completely forgot.

:laugh: