Can he have me thrown in Jail for this?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm still officially married to my Dominican Ex-husband however we have been separated 18 months or so now. I have gone on with my life and thought he had also. I figured that I would file for divorce as soon as I got around to it, and that there was no real rush. He still calls on a regular basis to ask if he can come back to Canada to live with me and I still say "no gracias" each and every time. (He has tried twice to make a go of it here and that's enough for me). I haven't been back to the DR in two years and wow, do I miss it. Anyway, back to my reason for this post. So, my ex called a few weeks ago and during our conversation he asked if I had a boyfriend to which I replied that I did. (it was true at the time) He asked me if I had forgot that I was a married woman and I reminded him that we are separated for a year and a half. He then stated that he was going to have the police deal with me for adultery. I laughed it off at the time but then I got to thinking that I don't really know the laws. Can he have me arrested? I would love to come back to the DR soon for a visit but if I'm going to end up in the Puerta Plata jailhouse then I think I'll go to Cuba!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Nah...he's just trying to scare you. Besides where's the proof that you have a boyfriend...unless he recorded your conversation. If you don't want to be with this guy and you don't have any kids or shared property is beyond me why you're still talking to him...

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
No way, scare tactics - but for piece of mind and for the sake of closure, you may want to get moving with the divorce papers.:glasses:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
OMG, Nelly...I'm sorry. What is he thinking? Gimme a break, throw you in jail...hate to say it, but how many would be left on the streets if all the cheaters in the DR were thrown in jail?

Any chance you'll be going for Christmas? I think we'll be going at that time. Nice to see you posting, even if under bad circumstances.

Take care

miamor

Sep 29, 2006
Just an idea

Isn't adultery grounds for divorce? Maybe you can get him to do the leg work on a "quicky" divorce.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nelly so sorry to hear this guy is doing this to you for Pete sakes :rolleyes:. It's now a perfect time to stop talking to him and let go. Change your number or get call display.

And thanks Trina I was thinking of posting that as well.

In Canada you are now as good as divorced except that you can't get remarried.

Oh wait I'm getting a wave thought in my little pee brain. It's been 18 months so is it possible that he needs to be free to remarry and is doing this to you in hopes you'll go ahead and PAY for that divorce he needs. ;)

Yeah and I'm sure he's been a saint for the last 18 months. Make him pay for that quickie divorce.

Sorry I'm really ****ed off.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
"I'm still officially married to my Dominican Ex-husband" "I figured that I would file for divorce as soon as I got around to it"

" So, my ex called a few weeks ago and during our conversation he asked if I had a boyfriend to which I replied that I did. (it was true at the time) He asked me if
I had forgot that I was a married woman"

"I don't really know the laws."

Excuse me, but adultery is adultery. If you are still married, you are married. I am sure that there would never be jail time for you and the only reason for this post is that you liked to play the moral police on some of my previous threads.

Best of luck to you.

Chuckuindy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chucky I'll take that as you kidding around trying to make her laugh right? ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
A phone recording is inadmissable in Dominican courts as per the new penal code, unless the person making the recording has a warrant to make it.

And I seriously doubt there is jail time for adultery here.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Pulling Strings

... married to my Dominican Ex-husband however we have been separated 18 months or so now.

You're still married, so don't phugg around....
Get your divorce done.

But even if you were divorced to a real macho you'd still be 'his property' and he'd seek revenge if you think otherwise.
But I'm sure you know that... ;)

You'd better not let him know that you're coming here.
If he pulls the right strings he could get you jailed for a little 'fee' and for almost any reason.
Adultery is never used in those 'cases'..... :bunny:
How about arrears with spouse support? :pirate:

m'frog

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nelly I'm going to move this to the legal section so Mr. Guzman can give you a better answer.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To everyone, thank you for your replies.

Trina, it likely won't be that soon. Too bad because I'd love to see you.

Anna, down girl. I'll be OK. I'll just get that divorce moving along, and travel to Cuba this year if funds permit.

and finally, to Chuck, you gotta be kidding! lol

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Nelly so sorry to hear this guy is doing this to you for Pete sakes :rolleyes:. It's now a perfect time to stop talking to him and let go. Change your number or get call display.

And thanks Trina I was thinking of posting that as well.

In Canada you are now as good as divorced except that you can't get remarried.

Oh wait I'm getting a wave thought in my little pee brain. It's been 18 months so is it possible that he needs to be free to remarry and is doing this to you in hopes you'll go ahead and PAY for that divorce he needs. ;)

Yeah and I'm sure he's been a saint for the last 18 months. Make him pay for that quickie divorce.

Sorry I'm really ****ed off.

Anna, he has his papers already...he doesn't need me for that.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm sure Canada and the Dominican Republic do not have extradiction treaties for adultery perps...LOL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nelly, you're worrying about nothing, although it would be better for your peace of mind to restrict your visit to another part of the DR to avoid bumping into him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nelly: Be quiet!

Stop talking about visiting the DR.

Just do it! As far from the guy as possible. No fear for your "adulterous" behavior!!!

Tell the idiot to get a divorce, and that you will not contest it. "Mutuo consentimiento" is what it is called.

HB

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Question

A phone recording is inadmissable in Dominican courts as per the new penal code, unless the person making the recording has a warrant to make it.

And I seriously doubt there is jail time for adultery here.

Just out of curiosity is a video recording inadmissible in a Dominican court?