Illegal Puppy Vending on the streets in Sosua

stormy

Nov 12, 2004
Hopefully this is the right forum to express concern and ask for advice from any of you who have been confronted with mass vending of puppies from men on the streets. We have a situation which just arose in Sosua a few days ago in which men are driving into the town with as many as 25 puppies stuffed in one cage, parking on the side of the road and placing the puppies in the sun all day without food and water in an attempt to sell them. I have seen this in Santiago and it breaks my heart because I am afraid that many people think these men are making "a fortune" from selling puppies and will start to copy them. What will happen to these puppies when their new owners realize they have to feed them, provide a stable home and constant care and any necessary medical treatment? I belong to AAASosua, Association for Friends of the Animals of Sosua, Inc. and we spend a huge amount of our free time trying to round up homeless dogs, neuter and spay them when possible, feed them and provide all medical care they need and find them homes. We have been fighting and winning the battle to reduce the number of homeless dogs in the area. But with these new puppy mill vendors, we fear there will be a huge increase in number of homeless puppies/dogs as people turn them loose when they don't want to pay for their care in the future (if the puppies live that long). Any suggestions or advice from you who have had experience with these horrible puppy vendors would be greatly appreciated.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I know of someone who recently bought one, took pup to vet, had to be put down unfortunately. These guys are illegal alright. Not treating pups well as you say (and I congratulate your efforts, btw). Just don't buy them. They are from, I hear from second-hand source, from Nagua or Santiago? dunno.
Call the ayuntamento and complain. More complaints gets more action. Call the mayor's office too, Vladismir Cespedes.
Thank you for your work and thank you for the thread.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The guy who sells puppies on the corner near Tropical Supermarket (at traffic lights) in Puerto Plata seems to be fairly responsible - usually only 5 or 6 puppies and they are in the shade. I don't always see water for them to drink however. As always, in a country where many humans are hungry it is difficult to get too much going for animals. Maybe work on one of the guys to park in the shade, etc and tell people to buy from him? If he is seen to be successful the others may adopt better practices. But I don't think you'll eradicate the practice of street corner puppy selling.......... yes complain but also educate.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hopefully this is the right forum to express concern and ask for advice from any of you who have been confronted with mass vending of puppies from men on the streets. We have a situation which just arose in Sosua a few days ago in which men are driving into the town with as many as 25 puppies stuffed in one cage, parking on the side of the road and placing the puppies in the sun all day without food and water in an attempt to sell them. I have seen this in Santiago and it breaks my heart because I am afraid that many people think these men are making "a fortune" from selling puppies and will start to copy them. What will happen to these puppies when their new owners realize they have to feed them, provide a stable home and constant care and any necessary medical treatment? I belong to AAASosua, Association for Friends of the Animals of Sosua, Inc. and we spend a huge amount of our free time trying to round up homeless dogs, neuter and spay them when possible, feed them and provide all medical care they need and find them homes. We have been fighting and winning the battle to reduce the number of homeless dogs in the area. But with these new puppy mill vendors, we fear there will be a huge increase in number of homeless puppies/dogs as people turn them loose when they don't want to pay for their care in the future (if the puppies live that long). Any suggestions or advice from you who have had experience with these horrible puppy vendors would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the police and try to talk to the highest officer possible. Bring some friends and make a big stink. Gotta feeling it might work.

Sep 19, 2005
I bought a puppy from a guy in santiago like that...only he had 3 kennels for maybe 8 puppies.. He was in a shaded area up near the monument in that little triangle piece of land. they( a woman was with him) had water there...dont remember any food... The puppy was georgous, and we have had it maybe 4 months.......perfect health..perfect teeth, clean.......maybe we got lucky....I saw the same guy 2 weeks ago selling puppies there again, and stopped by to see his puppies again...a few looked exactly like the one we bought....so he has a source that is repetitive....

They may be slightly defective though....my gf's brother threw a scrub brush at the puppy while he chased his chickens.. and sure enough he hit him and broke the puppy's leg......so I dont think they are very durable......I wish I can gotten a written guarantee:cool:

the guy COULD be considered shady...he called everyone of his puppies "poodles"...even though few looked alike.. ha ha..and none looked like they had any poodle in them....

Personally..I think the OP has a HUGE...make that REALLY HUGE uphill battle, to get anyone in the DR , politically to change anything about animal care there.

but best of luck though

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you can find a law in existence, against cruelty to animals, you'd have a lot more ammo and clout with the cops or city hall.
That might stop them from leaving the animals in the sun without water, but still won't do anything for the real problem, the proliferation of more street dogs.
I'm very aware of all the good work the AAASoua has done, and I can see how these vendors are a problem, but it's a gringo against Dominican thing.
Is there anyone in your organization, who is Dominican and influencial?
They may be able to get a lot more done with their contacts and connections, that all of you put together, trying to do it through legal channels.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you can find a law in existence, against cruelty to animals, you'd have a lot more ammo and clout with the cops or city hall.
Have you read La Ley del Medioambiente? It has a lengthy section on animal cruelty that is almost comical in its remoteness from Dominican reality. If it were applied, all animal cruelty common in the DR, from cock-fighting to never walking your pet dog would be penalised!

I agree that in reality, animal welfare takes a back seat when there is so much human suffering, and that it will be seen as a frivolous gringo indulgence. As with other aspects of life here that we foreigners are uncomfortable with, there is not much point in challenging it directly. We can however, refrain from colluding with it by never buying the puppies.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I belong to AAASosua, Association for Friends of the Animals of Sosua, Inc. and we spend a huge amount of our free time trying to round up homeless dogs, neuter and spay them when possible, feed them and provide all medical care they need and find them homes. We have been fighting and winning the battle to reduce the number of homeless dogs in the area.

Finally, someone who is trying to do something about this problem... If I were living there I too would be doing the same... I can't believe the treatment dogs (animals in general) get there. Before some idiots jump back responding .... I don't care that it's a different country, different culture.... blah blah blah... a animal is a animal ...

I give you props for what you're doing and keep it up... I always said that when I win the Super 7 I would do the same (for the whole island)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this f*****g country and the savage motherf*****s that live here have no respect for animals whatsoever, animal can be tortured and killed and no one would even blink and eye.
this is, unfortunately up to gringos to make fuss about in an attempt to inject some civilisation into those primitives.
(sorry, don't get me started on that, starving kids will always find a defendor when animals have no voice, no importance in third world country...)
i have heard that there is only one, ONE shelter for homeless animals (in SD) in this country. don't know if that's true but sure sounds like it.
when i start earning normal wages i'll make sure some of goes to the good cause of animal walfare.
at least my kitty is loved and kissed and hugged and cared for....

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
I am a dog owner and lover. I breed hunting Labs. But I got to say the solution for the islands over population of dogs , may start with nuetering and spaying dogs...( it would have to be free, or no one would get it done), but it has to include illiminating some of the strays that currently exists. Thats a tough bone for some animal lovers to chew on..I know..its like the deer problem in the northeast....you HAVE to reduce the number immediately, then work on control. Thats IF the mentality in the country would accept it. I doubt they will. I know dominicans that shoot dogs roaming the streets at night , and who purposely will run then over if they dont get out of the way fast enough. I KNOW that will cause a huf.. and maybe, someone will yell at ME for just mentioning it. I see dogs stuck tail to tail all the time in my travels there...I bet I see 4 or 5 a week....if you drive late at night, in the barrios , you know what i am talking about..Packs of dogs.
The dogs are a serious safey issue in the DR.....

quite frankly I think this is another issue of foriegners coming to a part of the world that does things their own way, and the outsiders not liking it, and wanting to change it......just like cock fights..

even if a few politicians will speak publically that "we have to do something about this issue" when in fact they would'nt touch it with a 10 foot pole.....

I think for the near future people like the OP will have to settle for being happy, they made an attempt.

not that I wish them bad luck....I wish them good luck.....who wants to see animals like that

bob

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
this f*****g country and the savage motherf*****s that live here have no respect for animals whatsoever, animal can be tortured and killed and no one would even blink and eye

That is so true. I witnessed this through out my upbringing in the DR. It was after I became an adult that I started appreciating animals.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
But I got to say the solution for the islands over population of dogs , may start with nuetering and spaying dogs...( it would have to be free, or no one would get it done),
AAASosua has been doing this for years, with volunteers from abroad.
They have a couple of events coming up soon, which I will post a week or two before, so if you want to help them or support their cause, you will have an opportunity shortly.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
this f*****g country and the savage motherf*****s that live here have no respect for animals whatsoever, animal can be tortured and killed and no one would even blink and eye.

I agree. I have seen puppies being sold in the hot sun on streetcorners in SD. Someone even told me they saw someonw selling a baby eagle in cage at one of these intersectiions. There is no concern for the animals.. They are forced to sit in cages in the hot sun and I doubt they get proper hydration.

Like you said dv8, there is not respect for animals. Take a look at the next horse and carriage you see or the next mule carrying a load of fruit on a cart. These animals are always emaciated and dehydrated looking but their drivers just whip the **** out of them. I dont like it.

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think you people should visit a chicken factory or meat factory. Then you will see where and how your meat comes from. Speaking of cruelity, just watch how a cow has been raised and killed, same with chickens.
AZB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I think you people should visit a chicken factory or meat factory. Then you will see where and how your meat comes from. Speaking of cruelity, just watch how a cow has been raised and killed, same with chickens.
AZB

No kidding. My brother explained this to me and I did a little research on the net and was disgusted at what I found.

Larry

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I know several Dominicans whose puppies were stolen in the capital; their explanation was Tigueres steal puppies to sell on the street.

I have a friend who had two Chihuahas which she treated well by Dominican standards. Recently one got out and was run over. She disposed of the body on a trash heap. She went and bought another to keep the survivor company.

The Dominican way of doing things....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been told that some puppy thieves don't bother to sell, they EAT them.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
I see those puppies vendors every day they are right across the sosua car wash, and my heart goes out to those poor puppies, they have no water and no food, i wanted to buy one the other day but held back telling myself i need to think about it, and those poor puppies seem so sad all day in the sun :(

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A sad topic indeed

Friends of mine had a small dog. Cute if not a bit obnoxious. I came by one day and asked what happened to him. He ran out into the road and got squashed. I asked what they did with his body? Nothing was their reply, just let the little thing get smashed into the roadway until it was gone. It didn't bother them one little bit. This is life... I suppose.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
question

How much do they sell these puppies for? Or rather, how much do they ask?

Larry