Who was that guy?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I explored the Samana peninsula for the first time with my fiance, an experienced Dominicana traveler who used to be an administrator at the Casa Marina Resort in Las Galenas.

Outside of Samana driving toward LG, the road opens into a beautiful open flat area, 100 yards to the rocky coastline, and a coconut palm "forest" on the other side of the road, with an awesome view toward the tip of the peninsula. There were motos and the occasional car driving by.

We pulled over onto the shoulder, got out to take several pictures, and got back into the CR-V. As I was about to put the key into the ignition, I looked over and saw a guy on a moto next to me asking me to roll the window down. In retrospect I shouldn't have. But I did.

He asked in perfect English without a hint of Spanish accent if we were OK. Before I could respond, he reached into the front of his jersey (my mind flashed, expecting a gun or knife), and pulled out a huge badge in a leather placard and hidden neckband. Somewhat stunned, I said we were fine, just taking pictures. He said, good...if you needed something, like a tire change, he'd be happy to help, have a nice trip, turned his bike around and left. I did not have presence of mind to get a really good look at the badge.

He did not look "Dominican", i.e. darker complected. He was maybe early 30's, solidly built, had a thin beard/goatee, rode a 250cc motocross bike without any police markings, and had no uniform of any kind. As I mentioned, he spoke perfect American English without a hint of accent. He was friendly enough and not at all threatening-he just surprised us.

The next couple of days we asked both a tourist and national police guy if they knew or ever heard anything like this guy. Neither did, just shrugged and said maybe "secret police".

Secret police???:eek:

Anybody have similar experiences, or have any thoughts or insights who/what he may have been? FWIW, I'm a fairly large American looking gringo WASP.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
When he left was there a:

A fiery moto with a speed of light,A cloud of dust,and a hearty "Hi-Yo,
Silver!" ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Kinda strange event, but you never know. I like the idea of the Lone Ranger...

In any event, besides being perplexed, nothing untoward happened...

And, now you know that there are some truly civil folks around....

Seems like I have to get out to Samaná more often....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You didn't read what the badge said?
It was so surprising to me I didn't have the presence of mind to read it. I wish I had-no doubt he'd have let me if I had asked. I have to say I've seen similar "neck badge hangars" on plainclothes cops in the states.

By the time the surprise was over and he realized we were fine, he headed down the road. The thing that is most odd was his perfect, no accent American English-hell, he could have been from Kansas City the way he talked.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Could have been

It was so surprising to me I didn't have the presence of mind to read it. I wish I had-no doubt he'd have let me if I had asked. I have to say I've seen similar "neck badge hangars" on plainclothes cops in the states.

By the time the surprise was over and he realized we were fine, he headed down the road. The thing that is most odd was his perfect, no accent American English-hell, he could have been from Kansas City the way he talked.

What you thought he is. DNI branch, secret police, local militia of the shore patrol which is a branch of the Navy. Yessssssssss folks there is a Dominican Navy and they perform a shore patrol. He saw you guys, was curious and perhaps a bit bored and wen to see if he could help you guys out. About his perfect English? Might have lived in the states a while, it's not impossible.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Urgent Plea

Cobraboy said:
"It was so surprising to me I didn't have the presence of mind to read it. I wish I had-no doubt he'd have let me if I had asked. I have to say I've seen similar "neck badge hangars" on plainclothes cops in the states.

By the time the surprise was over and he realized we were fine, he headed down the road. The thing that is most odd was his perfect, no accent American English-hell, he could have been from Kansas City the way he talked."

Dominicanscotty said: "What you thought he is. DNI branch, secret police, local militia of the shore patrol which is a branch of the Navy. Yessssssssss folks there is a Dominican Navy and they perform a shore patrol. He saw you guys, was curious and perhaps a bit bored and wen to see if he could help you guys out. About his perfect English? Might have lived in the states a while, it's not impossible."

If there's a Dominican navy, and the perform shore patrol, send them to Monti Cristi, quick!"

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Am I being corrected here

AFAIK, none of the mentioned carry a badge as was described by the OP.

m'frog

I made a suggestion that he might be DNI, secret police, but more of a possibility that he was shore patrol. Unless you know more then I do? Read the OP's post. The unknown man pulled out some form of ID. Where did you read my posts that I mentioned a badge??? Quote me sir, please. Where???

Shore patrol don't carry badges because they are military. Jeeesh if you are going to insist on correcting my posts and correcting me then perhaps you should get your facts straight or get a pair of reading glasses. Nobody from my posts mentioned a badge.

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
There is

If there's a Dominican navy, and the perform shore patrol, send them to Monti Cristi, quick!"[/QUOTE]

Another expert of the DR? It's not a large section of the Dominican military, however they do have a Navy...or perhaps you want to doubt that too?

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Doubting Sollie

"Another expert of the DR? It's not a large section of the Dominican military, however they do have a Navy...or perhaps you want to doubt that too?"

On the basis of lack of effort in Monti Cristi/ Sieta Hermanos, I will doubt. Mabey you are the expert and know something the rest of us doesn"t?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If there's a Dominican navy, and the perform shore patrol, send them to Monti Cristi, quick!"

Another expert of the DR? It's not a large section of the Dominican military, however they do have a Navy...or perhaps you want to doubt that too?[/QUOTE]

Isn't there a Navy Base just before you cross the bridge to Santo Domingo Zona Colonial area?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I am answering a question

"Another expert of the DR? It's not a large section of the Dominican military, however they do have a Navy...or perhaps you want to doubt that too?"

On the basis of lack of effort in Monti Cristi/ Sieta Hermanos, I will doubt. Mabey you are the expert and know something the rest of us doesn"t?

You asked if there is a Navy as if you doubted me. I am no expert nor do I claim to be. If you ask a question you are going to receive an answer. If you don't like the answer then perhaps you should not ask such questions.

Getting back to your concern in Monti Cristi? Do you live there? If you do then perhaps you should bring your concerns to the authorities, whatever they might be since you didn't mention anything.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I would not know this

Another expert of the DR? It's not a large section of the Dominican military, however they do have a Navy...or perhaps you want to doubt that too?

Isn't there a Navy Base just before you cross the bridge to Santo Domingo Zona Colonial area?[/QUOTE]

I live on the north coast. Perhaps someone from the Santo Domingo area would be happy to answer this.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Rhetorical but...yes

How many are you? :bunny:

You made your assumption of various authorities on the OP's
description. And that mentioned the 'badge'.
The rest is logic.

m'frog

We are being a little picky today aren't we MF? Yes, *sigh* some authorities carry badges and others don't. Ahhhh, and we are being the grammer police today as well??? There is just me here...thank God for that. Thanks for the correction....again.

(Smile)