26% Vat??

greenegirl

Sep 18, 2006
We're in the process of booking a hotel in Santo Domingo for a couple of nights next month for the end of our holiday. I was just about to reserve a room at XXX place and at the fine print said the rate didn't include a 26% VAT. The hotel is a chain and operates worldwide. Is this true?

Ack.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As the 26% tax is a law here then I would count on having to pay it. 16% for the state and 10% for the hotel. If the fine print mentioned the 26% then I am to assume that it is or will be tacked on.

Rick

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
16% is sales tax, 10% is gratuity. Traditionally Dominican businesses, when charging Dominicans adjust their price quotes to allow for sales tax rather than quoting the price without the tax and tacking tax on after, but many hotels and other businesses that deal primarily with foreigners will do it the "American" way, quoting a lower price that looks good in print and saying "plus tax" in the fine print.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You'll see that 16% +10% on your Restaurant/Bar bills too...! In Santo Domingo, it seems to always be added on at the end, as opposed to included in the price...even at the fast food places...