I need some help here

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
My husband and I will be going to a casual get-together party for a Dominican family we met through mutual friends. They have been in Houston for about three years, having moved from the DR. They are doing well here and have just closed on a new house. We have never been inside their new home, but would like to bring them a gift if that is acceptable by Dominican custom. Although my husband is Dominican too, he hasn't really ever heard of this. So, I thought I would ask board members if they know something non-alcoholic that would be a sort of housewarming gift for them. I know that they did not bring much with them when they came to America. Maybe something that would bring a touch of their former home to them is what I am thinking. Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Sheri

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
In my opinion a nice flower arragement will be just fine!

It's very hard to bring something for someone to keep at their house; and expect they will like or need and yes, sometimes it can be a touchy situation. Some Dominicans pride goes very high and a gift for the house could be misunderstood even if you are just trying to be nice; so in the past when I have been invited to someone's house I haven't been before; I've always bring them flowers and Dominicans love flowers.

My 2 cents!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well since you need something non alcoholic you are ruling out most of the traditional Dominican housewarming gifts.

I don't suppose you are in a position to kill and roast a pig?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A wooden motar and pestal to grind and mix spices would be a nice gift. Even if they do not use it every Dominican has one in their home.

cuas

May 29, 2006
I prefer a gift card.
Let them choose what they want to match their decoration if not they have to display your gift every time you visit.
I have never gone to a Dominican housewarming after being here for 17 years.

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
Thanks so much

I want to thank each of you for your responses. I guess maybe housewarming gifts aren't given in the DR since my husband, his whole family, and even one of you have commented as such. I think I will bring a simple flower arrangement with a gift card attached.
I know you were joking about the pig roast- but we once had some Mexican neighbors dig a big hole in their back yard and have one.

I am really excited about getting to eat Dominican food. The only things I have ever eaten are what I have cooked from Sammy's mom's recipes or what I got from the web. There aren't any Dominican restaurants in Houston that I have ever heard of.

Next Sunday (29th) I will post again and let you know how it went. Again, thanks so much.
Sheri

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of the most common gifts around here are sets of glasses or coffee cups. Every family needs them.
Also a table cloth and napkins is a TEXAS theme would be a hit. Remember, when in Rome... I think you have your heart in the right place.. Forget the flowers, they die and make a mess...

If you want Dominican cooking, go to DominicanCooking.com

All the best,

HB

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I prefer a gift card.
Let them choose what they want to match their decoration if not they have to display your gift every time you visit.
I have never gone to a Dominican housewarming after being here for 17 years.

I think a gift card is generic and shows you didn't really put much thought into the gift.

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
You may find your pig's head but it wont be cooked in the back yard,housewarming gifts are not part of the dominican life style,simply put if you have enought money to be in your own house you are doing great,however a gift is always well taken, my favorite D.R. food however is cook by old dominicans see if you can find someone to cook 4 you, go to the markett pick what you want to eat have the old lady cook it and enjoy

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Not that you are probably too interested, but I did say that I would give an update from the day. We went to the gathering on Sunday afternoon. Their home was very "tropically" decorated- much like a sunroom or patio would be up here.

We ended up taking a nice crystal vase so she can put her own arrangement in it if she wants- or she can regift it to someone else (hope not) if she doesn't like it. They were surprised at all the housewarming gifts everyone brought. They said it wasn't done in Santo Domingo as far as they knew, however- one may take a bottle of alcohol as a gift. Sammy said that was no big surprise there.

The gathering was great. Man- she made some good flan. She also had another dessert, but it was too sweet for me. Sammy and I both enjoyed ourselves so much. I can't even begin to remember what all the dishes were called, rice w/black beans- yucca- platains- chicken, etc., but the whole meal was awesome. Also, I picked up some good cooking tips from her. Though they don't drink, they had some Dominican Rum for the guests, too.