Places for parties in Moca or Santiago

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Hi everyone!

I'm a dominican living in NYC...I'm planning on getting married next year and would like to have a party in either Santiago or Moca. Does anyone know of any nice places that I can rent for a day to have the party? It doesn't necessarily have to be at a hotel. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Uruby.

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
and here is the magic question, how much do u want to spend? if ur guess are highrolers, go to santiago and rent any of the populars cafes, discotecas or aprivate club, if money is an issue do it in moca and find any local club and a local singer or little bachata or merengue band, go there at least three month and check both places i will pick la vega check it out

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the advise...I have family there but I will also have guests coming with me fron New York. It's actually for a wedding, so I'd be willing to spend no more than 5grand (Dollars).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with a previous poster: COme here for a quick visit to check things out for yourself. If you are talking that kind of money, even your "family" here will have a hand out to get a "commission" for having the party and so-and-so's place!! Trust nobody with this.

We can point you in a few good directions, such as the Hotel Gran Almirante or the Aloha Sol which have facilities. so does the Asociación de Choferes y Conductores del Cibao on Padre de las Casas in Santiago. A lot will depend on the date.

Amaprosan, Centro Español, Gurabito Country club are possibilities...plus the fact that there are "Salones de fiesta" available for such events. So is La Mansión, and the "Típico Monte Carlo"

Jarabacoa Golf Club or Santiago Golf Club do these things.

SO....you see why you gotta get down here for a weekend of work....

HB

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks Hilbilly!

You actually mentioned the place I want which is El Centro Espa?ol. I asked my aunt to check it out and she told me that they only rent their ballrooms to members of the club. Is this true? I know exactly what you mean by everyone getting "commisions". One of the reasons why I'm looking for information here is because of that, and also because the entire town will know the details even before I get and answer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it is true that the Centro Español only rents to members of the club.

Regarding "commissions" : i go to a "salón de fiesta" and I tell them that I have a wedding party for 40 people. What's the tariff> ? 15,000 pesos. (whatever) I tell you it's $30,000 pesos. What's $500 dollars to you? ....Or how much of a commission will you give me if I bring the party here?? Oh 15% of the bill! Okay, my cousin will call you....

See what I mean?

You have to do this yourself. Old Dominican "refran": 'hablando claro" ...

HB

torochulo

Nov 14, 2006
I'm doing the same thing, so peep the scene!

Ok, so I've done the research, have a wedding party (reception) set up and the whole nine yards, so some of this info might help.
I reserved a nice place (a banquet hall) called "LA ANTILLANA". It is a large hall that will hold between 250-350 people comfortably with a dance area (you know we Dominicans like to party!). Now, my party is only 110-120 people, but I wanted to be sure we'd have plenty of room for dancing, so I got the big room (they also have a smaller room). The hall itself is RD$11,000 with taxes, and the smaller one (I think) was RD$7000. I am having them cater the function cuz I didn't want the headache of coordinating an outside caterer (RD$23,000 for 110 people). Also, they will give me a DJ for RD$3000. All in all, I'm getting the place with food, music, 3 waiters, bathroom attendant, etc, for RD$42,278 = US$1262.00 as of 11/13/06. I am taking care of drinks separately just because I have connections for that, but you could get that through them too. Decorations also are separate, although they provide tablecloths and silverware, glasses with the buffet. I priced lots of places, including Amaprosan where my aunt is a member and in my opinion, its a ripoff compared to where I got mine set up. FYI, you don't have to spend the equivalent of what you'd spend in the US in the DR. What I mean is that if you want to spend $5K, by all means go ahead, but I planned on spending that much myself, and so far I'm @ about US$2800 with decorations, mementos, and table arrangements, including freight from home in Massachusetts... I plan on spending the rest on my honeymoon!

La Antillana: 809.583.4828
ask for Helen Grullon, she does reservations and planning.
Pm me if you have any more questions, but I leave on Wed the 15th, so wish me luck and expect a trip update when I return on the 30th

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
That is one heck of a price for a party. A party of that sort here in NYC can run you a pretty penny. I'd say upwards of 3,000 dollars.

jprincez

Oct 1, 2006
www.myspace.com
I have a cousin in Moca that rents out one of her properties for parties; while I was there this past summer there was a couple planning their wedding reception there. the property has a beautiful garden; lost of space...If you are interested you can send someone over to take a look; it's always good to see for yourself. Let me know if you are interested...won't hurt just to check it out.

;)

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks alot you guys for the information. At this point I'm almost desperate for ideas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ruby, it occurs to me that I probably know someone or two that actually do these preparation as a profession.

I could probably put them into contact with you. Nobody should have to go through too much hassle for something like this.

You have a fund of information, just use it. Like I said way up top, just tell people that this is on a tight budget, but do not let them know how much or they will all have their hands out...even family.!!

HB

Uruby

Oct 18, 2006
Oh yes!!!! I've called two places in Santiago, and being honest I told them I was in NY and that was the reason why I wasn't inquiring in person...well...the guy from Hotel Platino for example send me a budget in which he's charging me the ITBIS TWICE. That adds up to 52% tax. (Outrageous). At this point I've bought most of the things I'll need and I'm shipping them after the holidays. Right now I'm ONLY looking for a place to have the party.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004

What about The Camp David Hotel ? they have a great restaurant with plenty of room outside and beautiful veiws of Santiago from atop there mountain! Im sure the owner would be glad to have you all! and there rooms are very reasonable around 50 US per night! when I was there I saw a wedding reception out at there garden section . the photogragher wastaking some great pictures and everyone was having a great time in the restaurant! I would recommend it , just for the views alone!!! after all this is a time your family will always remember , you dont want it in some stuffy place inside do you ? just check it out , trust me its good. also they were constructing a new deck but I am not sure how far along they have gotten with there renovations, call them ,the owner is a young guy ,his family(Bermudez) is or was in one of the he biggest rum famliys in the DR. he is a great guy and Im sure he will treat you right. he told me he was trying to make his fathers dreams a reality with this place ,just ask for curly! hes such a great guy , also look it up on the internet, im sure people in here know the place

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I reserved a nice place (a banquet hall) called "LA ANTILLANA" ... but I leave on Wed the 15th, so wish me luck and expect a trip update when I return on the 30th
How did it work out? Would you still recommend the place?