Do you express your opinions on DR1?

Do you express your opinion on DR1?

• Yes, I express my opinion regardless of the consensus.

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Yes, I express my opinion, but only when it agrees with the consensus.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Sometimes I express my opinion depending on my mood.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • No, I don't express my opinion due to the hostile nature of DR1 members.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • No, it's not in my nature to express my opinion in general.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For some people, DR1 may seem a hostile environment for personal opinion about any subject to be presented.

For others (such as myself), DR1 is seen as any other medium where personal opinion could be expressed. In other words, personal opinion should be expressed because the audience will fall in one of two consensus: 1. they agree with me or 2. they disagree with me. If number one is the case, then you and the DR1 audience is of like mind, however if number two is the case, well it's only an opinion and opinions neither hurt nor kill!

However, despite this I have wondered why a select group of DR1ers are inclined to voice their opinions in various "important" subjects. By important I mean subjects based on politics, education, cultural development, etc; not the who slept with a Sankie today type of subjects.

It seems to me (and perhaps I'm the only one noticing this, then again maybe I am not the only one) that it's the same DR1ers who end up discussing the more important realistic and influential topics which do tend to get heated up and, as in the case of the threads which are either poorly moderated or not moderated at all, degenerate to personal attacks and discounting.

Because of the general hostility, I believe that it is in fact intimidating certain members of this site who have good opinions but cannot bear the idea of being openly criticized and/or being pressured into agreeing with the general consensus in any given subject. This, I believe, is a detriment to the overall DR1 experience as most of us try to use this tool in order to better understand various subjects pertaining to the DR.

Thus the question for this poll:

Do you express your opinion DR1?

A) Yes, I do express my opinion regardless what the general consensus may be.

B) Yes, I do express my opinion although I am conscious of the general consensus and thus, I only give my opinion when it agrees with the general consensus.

B) Sometimes I express my opinion, depends on my mood.

C) No, I don't express my opinion because I feel this site is too hostile in genreal, but especially if I were to not agree with the consensus.

D)No, I don't express my opinion because I usually don't express my opinion in any circumstance.

-NALs

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
hey if can not express ur own oppinion stay home and read the newspapers or whatever have you, its democracy say what you want and do not be offesinve to others that what i do try to vote but could not, if pankies rule the world may be it would be different, since they onl;y rule a few negleted humans so what.

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
express ur own oppinion every time that u can, i do it however i just follow a simple rule, i try not to be offesinve hoever sometimes i have that is tthe real word,and since sankies do not rule the world at least the free world let leave at that.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I express my opinion often, but it gets deleted a lot. I guess I?m just too old and crabby. ;)
I only express opinions when they are based on an assemblage of facts. I don't express them based on "feelings".

I get cranky with opinions not fact based, or when "facts" are clearly cherry-picked to support a pre-conception. It would be interesting to see each posters resume/CV in their profile post:bunny:. Even a list of subjects they have significant knowledge and education in would be interesting.

My goal is to LEARN from those who know much more about a subject than I do. And I have a GREAT appreciation for many DR1ers who have helped me learn more on a variety of subjects.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
E: after seeing idiots getting into arguments over everthing from the weather to the joke bin, just don't bother anymore. If someone posts a Q that my 20yrs of vacations there can help with, I'll answer. But rather than let some of these goofballs get under my skin and get into the usual pi$$ing match...no thanks...will just keep up on my favorite island in (mostly) silencia.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Never Express My Opinions On DR1!

"Pearls Before Swine!"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And people here can be sooooooooooooooooooo "Mean" too!:p :mad:

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I think so - least I hope so. I don't find DR1 "hostile" as I don't care enough - after all, do I know you people??? - NOPE! LOL!!! If I upset my MATES I'd be upset but I don't know any of you (tho' respect Scotty, HB, Rocky an Eddie) so WHY EVER would I feel it hostile??? SAYING that though I HAVE seen people take a "slating" and NOT take it as well as "don't care" I - as in they got upset about it. IF ya want my GENERAL opinion rather than my personal one I'll give that too: SOMETIMES people on DR1 are very much LESS about helping and MORE about TTP - YUP! :D P.S. I've been slated LOTS but hey-ho!!!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Censorship? ... sometimes YES!!!!

Too many posts deleted when whiney posters complain and can't accept dissenting opinions :ermm:

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
As far as putting my opinions out there, I do it and have gotten blasted by resident posters. I think that this board is sensored a lot and people's posts are edited without being asked and stuff like that which I have a problem with at times. I also don't like when threads get closed for misunderstandings or when something is said that a moderator misunderstood. But I guess that's what you come to learn about DR1 --so, it bothers me some of the censorship and bickering when it comes to folks opinions but these people don't know me and I don't know them, so I say why let it bother me that much. I find some of the information and stories that people tell quite interesting and if good for nothing else, many people's rantings are good for a laugh from time to time.

Oct 29, 2006
Very good subject NALS
I have been a member for only a couple of months.
I have participated in many of the threads and created some of my own.
Like in most forums, almost any thread tends to deviate from the original theme to the ridiculous, including the inevitable personal attacks, etc.
However, I have learned how to filter the positive posts from the stupid ones, and I just see it as an inevitable price to pay in order to reach those few ones with positive content.
Since I find most of the DR1ers as positive and well informed, I would not worry too much about future participation and interrelation between those who what to be found.