Is there hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
So I fell in love with this man in the Dominican ( no I did not meet him at a resort) and I married him, now we are waiting for him to come to Canada. He was so loving and caring and very very sweet, now things are chaning. He is not like he used to be, he is very angry adn he says he does nto know why, he seems to be mad at me everyday, btu he can't not tell me why. He says maybe he is jsut nervous He shoudl be in Canada soon adn now I am worried. Is it true Dominican men have tempers? How do I know for sure he did nto jsut use me to get out of the Dominican. I read a previous posting adn I got very sad, because it was talkign about all the things to watch out for adn I think he hit almost all of them. If any one is out there who married a Dominican man maybe we could chat and you could give me some advise.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
So I fell in love with this man in the Dominican ( no I did not meet him at a resort) and I married him, now we are waiting for him to come to Canada. He was so loving and caring and very very sweet, now things are chaning. He is not like he used to be, he is very angry adn he says he does nto know why, he seems to be mad at me everyday, btu he can't not tell me why. He says maybe he is jsut nervous He shoudl be in Canada soon adn now I am worried. Is it true Dominican men have tempers? How do I know for sure he did nto jsut use me to get out of the Dominican. I read a previous posting adn I got very sad, because it was talkign about all the things to watch out for adn I think he hit almost all of them. If any one is out there who married a Dominican man maybe we could chat and you could give me some advise.

I feel sorry for you, If you are nervous now, and are unsure, can you imagine what it will be like when he gets to Canada ? He's going to be miserable.

Good luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
another one?

gosh, there was only one unhappy gal yday and now the dam breaks!
mart, if he's poor, uneducated and has never been abroad - cancel his ticket and file for a divorce.
if he is rich, educated and has been to america before - what is there to be angry about?
it's all a bit fishy.
your only hope is that he is a bit oversensative...

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Too late now!!!!

Do you think any advice at this stage can change him? He was on his best behaviour during the probation period, but not anymore. Your best course of action would be to cancel your sponsorship. He knows that his objectives were achieved so you're seeing the real person .... a pain in the a$$ who will drain you financially and emotinoally. Only you can stop it now!!! Good luck !!! :ermm:

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Hi I have married a guy form the Dominican and I wish I woudl have seen this forum first. He started out as a really nice guy and now things are chaning he asks for moneya dn a lot of it, and he jsut is nto caring anymore, he is mad at me everyday, he sayd he does nto know why maybe he is nervous, but maybe I am seeing his true colors

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
you got yourself into a pickle ... too bad you're married cause you could've just turned around and walked away.... his true colours are BEAMING

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
I think you are seeing his true colours, and things probably won't get any better, just worse. Sorry to be negative but same thing happened to me. We got married, he came to Canada, lived with me for 2 months and left. He hasn't tried to contact me since he left.

I've talked to others in similar situations and once they get all their documents they leave shortly after, never to be heard of again. I don't know where you live but in Canada they get permanent residence immediately-no waiting period at all. Be very careful.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Hi I have married a guy form the Dominican and I wish I woudl have seen this forum first. He started out as a really nice guy and now things are chaning he asks for moneya dn a lot of it, and he jsut is nto caring anymore, he is mad at me everyday, he sayd he does nto know why maybe he is nervous, but maybe I am seeing his true colors

I got the impression that you want to work it out, but i don't see how it could get worked out because this type of changing is not the newlywed, getting used to each other kind of changing, it's plain ridiculous and manipulative. As well, asking you for lots of money, does he not have a job and why does he want this money??
If you don't mind, where do you live, in the DR or somewhere else??
I would say try to get out of this situation before you get too far into it.
Good luck!

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I think you are seeing his true colours, and things probably won't get any better, just worse. Sorry to be negative but same thing happened to me. We got married, he came to Canada, lived with me for 2 months and left. He hasn't tried to contact me since he left.

I've talked to others in similar situations and once they get all their documents they leave shortly after, never to be heard of again. I don't know where you live but in Canada they get permanent residence immediately-no waiting period at all. Be very careful.

That doesn't mean they cannot loose it and be deported too.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Very difficult to lose once you have it La Mariposa.
Unless it can be proven he married under false pretenses just to get a permanent residency if he's made it to Canada, he's here until he decides to leave. Most likely he'll find a "better" bed to lie in then ask for a divorce!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is there no way to kick the bastard out of the country?
what a place canada is. in cold and uninviting poland you have to be married for a long time before even THINKING about residency. saves lot of trouble....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
is there no way to kick the bastard out of the country?
what a place canada is. in cold and uninviting poland you have to be married for a long time before even THINKING about residency. saves lot of trouble....

It used to be like that in Canada, landed immigrants would have to live with their sponsors for years before getting residency ( can't remember how many) But the good people went to the government screaming that is was not fair so the laws were changed.;)

Now the way things are someone can say bye bye upon arrival at the airport.

I've read that people who have been burnt are screaming to the government to change the laws again and make it harder for immigrants. :laugh:

Try and prove fraud..now there's a laugh. you've just spend a good year or so proving you did indeed have a real relationship and made a few dozen calls to Haiti and now you're going to say it was fraud? Good luck with that one.

Our government just doesn't have a big enough task forge to be looking into every potential fraud case.

Marriages break down so after a few months the marriage didn't work out because the bitch wouldn't let me go dancing alone and stuff like that :laugh:

Best to spend more time getting to know your loved one, make a few surprise visits etc before you get in too deep.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

If he's not in Canada yet the power is yours, STOP the fricking papers. if you think he's angry now just wait.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
go girl!

If he's not in Canada yet the power is yours, STOP the fricking papers. if you think he's angry now just wait.

i agree, stop the papers, go to your local home office, whatever it's called, tell them that the marriege was based on fraud. ha!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i agree, stop the papers, go to your local home office, whatever it's called, tell them that the marriege was based on fraud. ha!

She should call and write the office in Haiti, that is where immigration papers to Canada are processed.;)

azabache

Apr 25, 2006

Some Dominicans who immigrate to places like Canada and the USA have a bigtime struggle with culture shock.....the cold, gloomy weather, being isolated from friends and relatives, frustration with the language, frustration with the new diet, being dependant upon someone else for some of the smallest of tasks. Not having the money that they expected to have.....All of this causes depression that no one can feel except him.
Not everyone has the psychological makeup to successfully deal with these negatives. He's going to need all of the love and understanding and patience that you can muster up. The bottom line is that you are going to have to decide if he and your marriage are worth it. I would bet that they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.