I M F - "Stand By Agreement"

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I read on DR1 & other sources constant references to the "Stand By Agreement". Evidently, this is some sort of treaty or ? between the DR & the IMF. My questions:
1. Is this docment available to the public? DRs? Foreigners? Where? When? How?
2. Is this agreement in English? Spanish? Both?
3. Who signed on behalf of the DR? What is the date of this Agreement? Or agreements [plural]?
4. Has anybody read a copy? Who?
5. Is this agreement a public doeument? Available to all? Why not? Is there a public records law in the DR? Why not?
I welcome comments from those who have actually read the Agreement, if there are such?
Thank you. My curiosity is overwhelming.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Stand-by agreement, in less than 30 words:

In a nutshell: After the Baninter collapse of 2003, the country was on the verge of bankruptcy and the IMF came in with a rescue package, with many strings attached.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
IMF makes documents available to the general public through its press releases and PINs (Public Information Notices): Press Release: IMF Executive Board Approves US$ 665 Million Stand-By Arrangement for the Dominican Republic, Extends Repayment Expectations

The rest of its documentation is not available to the general public. It is sent to the embassies and central banks of the countries it is dealing with.

Here is about Fund-Public transparency - Public Information Notice: IMF Reviews Experience and Next Steps in the Fund's Transparency Policy

Last edited:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Thank Yous

My sincere thanks to Avrora & Hidalgo; you seem quite knowledgeable @ the DR & IMF issues; well done. I intend to follow up on your responses. My curiosity is increasing. Do all of the DR newspapers usually accept the DR Gov't's representations of what the specific verbiage & contents of IMF docs are? Curious! Investigative reporting? A lost art on Hispaniola? Again, thank you both.