Samana! Samana! Where art thou!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I visit Samana every 12 - 18 months. It's lovely. I enjoy it. I was there for a few days in Oct. 2006. What happened?

1. There were stories in the local press 2 - 3 years ago @ how some Arab $ - US $50 million - 150 million - 150 million - was going to dredge the entire harbor & finance a huge [200 - 400 - 600 boat] marina. What marina? Where is the marina? The harbor has evidently been dredged [ie my supposition].

2. The Malecon is beautiful! Well designed & well executed! Nicer than the Malecons in Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata - in my subjective opinion. But, . . it's empty.

3. The portion of "downtown" Samana opposite the Malecon looks like Baghdad! Burned out buildings, deserted buildings, abandoned shops & restaurants. Few pedestrians. 4 - 5 years ago most of this space was relatively occupied & open! What happened? The local businesss community appears to have fled to Iraq?

4. Most of the locals I spoke to complained that there was no $ on the street & no tourists - in downtown Samana at least. The retail shops near the 2 rotaries appeared active.

5. Somebody [foreign $ probably] is building a large strip shopping center ["plaza"] near the 2nd rotary. Where will the tenants come from?

6. Will the opening of the Nagua airport work a miracle for Samana? Can downtown Samana rise from the dead. Is this 'Atlantica' [cf Luperon] all over again?
7. Las Terrenas? The exact opposite circumstances. Why? Where art thou. Samana? I'm lost. Thank you.

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Maybe you will find "your" Saman? in February, with all four Bah?a Pr?ncipe hotels open, El Catey open, cruiseships arriving, whales making babies, ...maybe.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Samana is still exactly where it was, on the north side of Samana Bay. It is also pretty much like it ALWAYS was, a city that is primarily a business center and embarkation point for whale watching tours and a city you have to pass through to get to the best part of the peninsula, the northeastern tip including Las Galeras. That said and now I'll try to answer your queries as to the current situation in Samana.

1. The marina port is currently being used as the primary port facilities for the rebuilding of the hotel on Cayo Levantado. It has been busy in this aspect. However, the dredging was never finished as the Mejia government ran out of funds and never completed the project. My sources tell me it will be completed eventually. maybe by the Pinero group that has invested over $150 million dollars in their recently acquired hotels here on the peninsula.

2. The Malecon may be empty but that is entirely normal for October, probably the deadest month for tourism on the island. However, yesterday a thousand tourists spent the day there and on other parts of the peninsula. They had embarked from a cruise ship that will be calling weekly (Wednesdays) to Samana's port.

3. Downtown Samana is in a period of redevelopment as the city prepares for the coming onrush of tourism activity as our new airport and highway opens. And frankly, downtown Bagdad as you call it, looks a lot better in it's current state of rebuilding than much of the rest of the country's communities. At least there's a lot of activity. There's also other beautification projects in the works but at this time, I am not at liberty to discuss them publicly.

4. No money or tourists on the street directly relates to the lowest/slowest month of our low season. Ask the same people the same question in Febuary at the height of whalewatching season an you'll recieve exactly the opposite answer.

5. The new shopping center will not have any problem filling up once it is finished. I hear it is also being financed by Pinero as part of their agreement to improve the peninsula.

6. The highway and the airport will certainly improve the lot of the ENTIRE peninsula, not just Samana. Construction is happening all over the peninsula.
To rise from the dead you have to be dead first and Samana has never been that.

7.Las Terrenas,...fast becoming the Boca Chica of the north coast with uncontrolled growth, prostitution and a hefty increase in crime. It's nothing to be proud of.

"Where art thou. Samana? I'm lost. Thank you."...Samana is a frame of mind and to find it you'll have to take a hard look inward.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was there 2 weeks ago. I understand the strip center (?) is being built by the Spanish firm that owns the Bahia Principe Resort (?) in Samana.

I agree it was fairly dead, but I'm told mid-October is the bottom of the season there.

It was my first trip to Samana, and I thoroughly enjoyed the area. Absolutely gorgeous!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
7.Las Terrenas,...fast becoming the Boca Chica of the north coast with uncontrolled growth, prostitution and a hefty increase in crime. It's nothing to be proud of.
Funny you should mention that. I got the EXACT same vibe from LT as I do in BC. It sort of creeped me out...

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
you'll also find more info about why marina was not finished under thread in this section called, "Spanish American Scandal".