Castle Burger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
any reports on the new Castle Burger across from the Merengue Club ?

Bring a magnifying glass. I had one the other night and it sure is not worth 30 pesos. You can not miss it, a feeble attempt to look like a White Castle in the states. From what I saw Castle Burger does not attract many customers.

Sep 19, 2005
you cant go to a resturant and get a decent steak in the DR...how can you expect to get a good burger at a discount white castle knock off?

bob

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Tamborista -

Is there enough meat in them to fill my back cavities????

Might be cheaper than seeing my teeth doc., eh?

In the AF we called it "mystery meat."

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Rocky you are a "staple" of DR1. what would we do without you ? i will be in town on friday so i will taste one of the "mystery" burgers and judge for myself. i'll make sure i eat first before i go there.

are they safe to eat after a night of Presidente's and cuba libres ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wonder just how much of a burger, one should expect for 30 pesos.
I admit that I have never seen or eaten one, so I have no opinion on them.
Obviously, the owners feel there is a market for their product, or they would not have invested the money to set the place up.
The owners are trying to make an honest living, which is more than we can say about some other gringos we have seen come to Sosua who live to scam newbies.
Being prone to getting ill from street food, I would be more likely to want to eat one of the tiny burgers, than something made at a streetstand, that has no refrigeration.
I know that my opinion is barely valid, considering I know nothing about the product they sell, but I feel bad to see these guys getting torn apart, here on DR1.
Maybe some constructive criticism would be more helpful.
If I'm totally out of line, I apologize.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The owners are trying to make an honest living, which is more than we can say about some other gringos we have seen come to Sosua who live to scam newbies..
I guess that is true when you consider he used to run a progressive Keno game.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The owners are trying to make an honest living, which is more than we can say about some other gringos we have seen come to Sosua who live to scam newbies.
Rocky and other respected, informative DR1ers: perhaps you guys and gals can start a thread about the various scams you've seen that you alluded to.

THAT would be very, very informative and helpful.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky and other respected, informative DR1ers: perhaps you guys and gals can start a thread about the various scams you've seen that you alluded to.

THAT would be very, very informative and helpful.
The concept is good, in the sense, that it could help newbies avoid being scammed, but the reality is that there would be inherent problems, such as, if someone exposes a scam, the perps of that scam, might not be overjoyed, and could seek out revenge.
Another problem, is if someone has a hidden agenda, and simply wants to hurt someone, he could falsely accuse him of scamming.
I think it best to keep such conversations private.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The concept is good, in the sense, that it could help newbies avoid being scammed, but the reality is that there would be inherent problems, such as, if someone exposes a scam, the perps of that scam, might not be overjoyed, and could seek out revenge.
Another problem, is if someone has a hidden agenda, and simply wants to hurt someone, he could falsely accuse him of scamming.
I think it best to keep such conversations private.
Couldn't this be done without naming names?

There is also the poster credibility issue: I'd be more prone to believe some folks more than others.

I think maybe y'all should consider some sort of "Beware of this kind of scam" thread.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've not eaten these burgers, so cannot comment on the quality. But really, I see unsubstantiated insults flying around, instead of fair reviews.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Couldn't this be done without naming names?
You could do it in a generic way, like to say, "Beware of a real estate agent, who scams people, selling lots that don't even belong to him", but, wouldn't the next question be, "Who?"?
Or there's a hotel where the putas have all the keys, and they just wait 'till a gringo checks in, and goes out to the beach, to go in his room and rob him.
Or there's a restaurant that will more likely poison you, than nourish you.
All of the above examples, without naming the perps, would just serve to scare people off of the DR in general.
So the rotten few, would ruin it for the rest of the good decent people.

There is also the poster credibility issue: I'd be more prone to believe some folks more than others.
Understood.

I think maybe y'all should consider some sort of "Beware of this kind of scam" thread.
So far, I don't think it's going to be me.
Maybe someone else wants to.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ricky is providing burgers for RD$30 a piece. Come on, what do you expect?
He has plenty of customers buying them, so I guess he's doing something right.

As well as the very "dodgy" Keno game, Ricky also started Rubi 92 (radio station) in Sosua. He put a lot of hours and money to get it off the ground trying to bring a good local radio station to the North Coast. He has done more for Sosua than many others. I have yet to hear of someone wanting to kill him or the cops throwing him in jail, as I said, unlike some others. I suggest some of you back off a little and see it for what it is, a RD$30 burger that claims to be nothing more than a RD$30 burger.

You will never see a thread dedicated to scams and naming people on DR1.
Why? Because it's DR1 that receives the death threats, it's DR1 that gets sued and it's DR1 that has to pay to straighten out the mess. Plus, more often than not it's some idiot wanting to vent, lacks any real facts or only offers 3rd hand info and thinks they can use DR1 as a vehicle for their frustrations.

If you have a legitimate gripe or know of a scam and can post the facts in detail, then by all means go ahead and post.

Closed!

Reactions: JD Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.