Free calls to Dominican Republic (from the UK)

pbarcacel

May 5, 2005
Hi everyone!

Orange UK just launched a new broadband product - Unlimited internet downloads and free calls to 100 international destinations, including Dominican Republic, Peru, Germany, Austria, Mexico, Peru, Costa Rica, Colombia, Austria, etc.

The way it works:you are allowed to talk - continously- for 59 minutes. After this period, you can hang up and redial, and keep on talking. As long as you don't go over the 60 minute period, the call will be free of charge.

The package costs ?19.99 per month, and it also includes free UK calls - anytime.

Overall, it looks like a good package, and for those of you who can't phone DR more often because of the price (currently around 0.05 per minute) and don't want to bother with Skype, this is a very good option.

For more info go to :
Orange - Livebox Wireless Modem

For current Orange/Wanadoo customers (like me) there is a one-off upgrade fee of GBP20, which is not that much compared to the the savings you could potentially make on calls to Latin America. It will take 10 working days for the plan to take effect.

The package also includes a free Wireless Router. It's Inventel make, quite decent. They offer speeds up to 8 meg, but that will very much depend on the location of your house (i.e. how far from the local telephone exchange you are)

Their customer service is not the best one in the world, but I've been with them for 6 months and I haven't died of a heart attack yet ;-)

Just a few notes:

Firstly, these are VoIP calls (voice over IP) meaning that calls go via your Orange wireless router. The only issue with this is that you can't make calls to, let's say, Emergency numbers such as 999, and if your broadband is disconnected for any reason, you wont be able to make calls (this 'should' not happen).

Second, Orange will provide you with a telephone number that starts with 0845 or 0870 (that will be your landline number). This is a NGN (non geographical number) meaning that when your friends phone you, they will be charged between 2p and 8p per minute depending on their provider. The solution to this:I just simply plug the cable to the Orange router when I want to make free calls to DR.
If I want people to phone me on my normal BT line, just simply connect the phone cable to your normal BT socket.
Sounds complicated, but it's actually not ):)

3. You will still have to pay GBP 11 to BT for line rental, as the 19.99 price does not include it.

At the end, your total Internet/Phone bill will be roughtly GBP31, depending on how many mobile calls you make (these are not included).

I work in the telecoms industry in the UK, so if my email sounded a bit techy or complicated, email me on pachibarcacel@yahoo.com and I'll try to explain better if needed )

Hope this helps! :glasses:

Have a nice weekend

Paola Barcacel.-

pbarcacel

May 5, 2005
From UK to other countries

Hi!

Call are free of charge to 100 international destinations when phoning FROM the UK to any of those destinations. To see the full list, follow this link:

Orange - Livebox Wireless Modem

Do you live in mainland Europe?

All the best,

Paola.-

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
I hope we get something similar from USA to DR. My daughter calls her fiancee every 2 - 3 days and even using Vonage to call his cell phone it gets expensive. A plan like this would save me a fortune.

Ben