Health Question

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
I've been hearing that visitors to Punta Cana should pre-treat for malaria (one week prior, 8 weeks after visiting). Any truth to that?

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
It depends who you listen to. We have been coming to DR for many years and in fact live there now for part of the year. Only once did we take anti malaria meds because the CDC in the US advised it after a bad hurricane season. I didn't like the side effects at all although my husband and son were fine. All the major hotels spray so there is little mosquito activity. I personally don't bother anymore.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
been there 3 times this year, once with 70 people, no one took the meds - no need.

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
be smart what the damage nothing to lose plenty to gain,the old saying goes better safe than sorry.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I think the course of treatment is long and I believe you are not allowed to drink alcohol while on treatment.

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
Treatment

The course of treatment is not long, and the perticular drugs that would be the recommendation for Malaria are : 1) Quinine ( inexpensive, but risky side effects ) 2) Plaquenil ( Hydroxychloroquine, expensive ) relatively little if any side effects, and no long term treatment, 3) Prednisone ( expensive and derivitive of sythetic hormone similar to hyrocortisone, a true steriod, but under proper care and short term treatment, not lasting detrimental side effects. ) . Drinking is never recommnded under medically prescribed care. But it is not a long term treatment for this illiness, so a short abstinance from drinking is a mild trade off. And Please remember under no circumstances do I recommend any medical treatment unless diagnoised and treated directly by your attending physician. These are only the facts.....not a medical course of treatment, or a diagnosis followed by a medical course of treatment.
Malaria can ruin a great vacation, and cause other medical issues if not addressed. See a Dr. if you are concerned.

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
Thank you all -- I'll check with our local MD too. Just can't imagine that I'd want to spend a week at an AI and not drink though!

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Don't do it, not worth it. I'm Canadian and was just down there for the past 6 months and wouldn't recommend it. I've seen many guests at the resorts taking it and it was making them sick. There is no threat of Malaria there right now. There was last year but it's long gone now. No worries!!!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
No worries. Why? Am I wrong?

My wife and I are leaving for the D.R. on November 16 for 6 months and our doctor recommanded us to take anti malarian pills. We are going to take, as we do each year, malarone. Aralen gives me headaches but no side effects with the malarone.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Anti- malaria meds may prevent malaria, but you still need to avoid (repellent/long sleeves/etc) the mosquitos due to dengue fever. There were several (40ish) deaths in the DR from dengue this summer. And there are no prevention meds for that.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Actually, there weren't 40ish deaths, try more like 4000 from Dengue this summer. There was an outbreak, and still is as far as i know. Nothing to be too worried about if your going to resorts as they spray for bugs and those are not the parts where you get dengue. More in the cities and a lot of the poorer parts of the country. But no preventative medacine for Dengue. As far as malaria goes, i'm not sure what the point is of taking the malaria pills. Malaria pills don't stop you from getting malaria, it just down plays the systems. Which is silly to me, because you might have it for a while before you realize, making it harder to treat.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Actually, there weren't 40ish deaths, try more like 4000 from Dengue this summer. There was an outbreak, and still is as far as i know. Nothing to be too worried about if your going to resorts as they spray for bugs and those are not the parts where you get dengue. More in the cities and a lot of the poorer parts of the country. But no preventative medacine for Dengue. As far as malaria goes, i'm not sure what the point is of taking the malaria pills. Malaria pills don't stop you from getting malaria, it just down plays the systems. Which is silly to me, because you might have it for a while before you realize, making it harder to treat.

Could you just repeat, cause I forgot, from which medecine faculty, university did you graduate ?