Caribe Tours Bus?

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
How much from Puerto Plata to Sto Domingo, for one person?
And is it the same cost going back?

He will be going on one day, returning on a different day, will this make a difference?

Thanks
Lisa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is presently RD$270 to SD from Sosua, so from POP will be a little less than that. Same price either way. When he returns makes no difference. There are no round trip tickets. You buy a one way ticket for each trip at the time of the trip.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I took this bus from Sosua to the capital and back less than two weeks ago. It is the single most efficient thing in the country. Left precisely on time, was comfortable and clean, although you might consider a wrap because it's very well air-conditioned. The biggest bargain in the country, bar none. And, yes, that's the price. You will be able to stop and eat en route--but the food is twice the price of the ticket!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And may I add that they do indeed leave on time. ;) It's a 4 hour trip from Sosua and there's two stops in Santiago, one of which is a 30 min stop but straight through after that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
get the earliest bus possible to avoid traffic jams in SD, it took me longer to come back (on afternoon bus) then to get there (from POP, first bus).
take socks and jacket, it fricking cold in those buses!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
And may I add that they do indeed leave on time. ;) It's a 4 hour trip from Sosua and there's two stops in Santiago, one of which is a 30 min stop but straight through after that.

It also stops in La Vega, and it take closer to 4 1/2 hours. If you take Metro from Puerta Plata to SD it takes only 3 hours. Cost 300 RD.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
And don't sit in the front row of the right side where you can see out the windshield unless you premedicate. The bus drivers operate under the Dominican traffic law of "The biggest vehicle has the right-of-way". On my last trip, I don't think the driver touched the brakes other than to stop at the terminals.;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
From Puerto Plata the price is 240 RD each way. The trip takes 3 hours and 45 minutes (barring accidents or other issues) The bus is rarely late and Howmar is very correct - dont' sit where you can see out the front window - bloody scary. They drive to arrive on time!

You only buy a one way ticket and return when you choose. You can however, buy your ticket in advance. This is recommended on weekends and holiday times as the buses do fill up! And yes take a jacket / sweater and socks. I froze last time I was on the bus.

I find the major difference between Caribe and Metro to be the location of the terminal in Santo Domingo. Depending where I am going in SD, I will choose the bus I want. Caribe tours goes more in town and Metro is in Naco/Piancini area. (hope I spelled that right)

abe

Jan 2, 2002
On my trip recently, the windshield of the bus was screened from view with a curtain. No doubt to keep it dark enough to watch tv and to help the A/C, but the side benefit was that no one saw the highway except the driver.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Metro has apparently changed their policy: Tickets can only be purchased for a precise time of departure. They have a little sign there telling you about this...

It is a value: $240 pesos x 2 = $480
Two taxis @$100/125 = $250
Total: $730

Gasoline for a round trip to Santo Domingo = 10 gallons at $140 = $1400!!

Rough figures but you get the idea..

HB

amy paraniuk

Sep 3, 2007
Caribe Tour busses came into being during my stay in the DR, 85-87. It was the best thing then - glad to hear it still is. Was just in the DR last week and didn't have the chance to use it, but plan on it next time. Thoroughly enjoyed the thrill of driving myself, but would like to be able to enjoy the scenery next time. From Hillbilly's comments, sounds like an economic deal as long as you don't need to travel much while there. Was in Jarabacoa this time and enjoyed the freedom of movement. Juan el americano.

jrichards327

May 17, 2008
From airport

Taking in consideration for both price and convenience, what is the best way to get from the airport in Santo Domingo to the Caribe Tours terminal in SD?

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
when we go we catcth the one at 4 in the morning to avoid not getting a seat and sometines that is full so go early, it also goes much faster at that time of day becasue there is little traffic. coming home later in the day takes a lot longer and yes you usually freeze on the bus!

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Current price

I saw the prices posted were for 2006. What are the prices now? I've seen the bus go thru Juan Dolio. How far East do they travel? Where can I find info on schedules, etc in English!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
when we go we catcth the one at 4 in the morning to avoid not getting a seat and sometines that is full so go early, it also goes much faster at that time of day becasue there is little traffic. coming home later in the day takes a lot longer and yes you usually freeze on the bus!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Is there a website for Metro or Caribe Tours to get their schedule from Sosua to SD? Is either one closest to La Romana? I have a friend staying there and want to get her to Sosua.

Or does someone know the current schedule in both directions?

Thanks.
Ro

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Alicious

Thanks for the site and especially for where to click.

My only question is - how current or accurate are the times here? I've read that their site isn't always accurate?

And if I want to go from Sosua, do I have to purchase a ticket ahead of time?
And where does it stop?

Thanks again
Ro

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
The bus to SD leaves at 20 after the hour, not sure when they start in the morning, for sure at 7.

You buy the ticket when you get to the bus station located at the lights in Los Charamacos.

The bus stops at Puerta Plata, twice in Santiago (first stop is for 20 minutes), also stops in La Vega and a couple of places on the outskirts of Santo Domingo.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me how far La Romana is from where the bus leaves you in SD?

And what are the transportation options to get there?

Thanks.
Ro