Place to eat or to wait for the bus in Santiago

Melora

Sep 5, 2006
Hi all!
Ive been reading the forums a lot in the last 2 months and you are just great! Im leaving for the DR this coming saturday with my dad (will be his first trip ever) and we will be landing at 4:30AM in Santiago. I read in a previous post from wulruny that there's a small food court at the airport but will that be open that early in the morning? If not, is there's anything in town, not too far from the bus stop to Samana that will be? I have a bunch of restaurant in my guidebook but none with opening time. We dont need anything fancy, just a small spot to grab something to eat and a huge cup of coffee!

And I would love it if someone could confirm the rate of RD500 for a cab from STI to bus stop in Santiago. Think i saw it somewhere, but I dont remember.

Thanks you very much for your time! :)

May 12, 2005
Which bus? Caribe or Metro? There's a 24 hour restaurant on Estrella Sadhala about 10 minutes from the airport. It's called Marchena. It's near the Hotel Platino. I paid RD $125 for a taxi from the Caribe bus terminal to the Hotel platino if that helps.

Melora

Sep 5, 2006
Hi Frank,

It's neither Caribe or Metro, its a company called "Transporte PePe". The bus leave from the corner of Calle Pedro Francisco Bone and Lilli. Altought i didnt find Lilli on my map, I have only the map from Moon Guide and LP, I guess we'll figure it out once there or the taxi driver will know. Thanks for the info on the restaurant, always good to know when your flight arrive and leave at impossible hours!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
whew! Glad I saw this one.

Look, have the cab driver take you to either one of these two places:
El Carrito de Marchena..it is on Estrella Sadhalá near the PUCMM
Supermercado Central on 27 de Febrero near Estrella Sadhalá.

Either one is good for munching a little.

The airport fare is about RD$500 pesos. At current 33.5 to $1.00, that is $15.00. Local taxis to take you to the bus stop for Samaná will cost $90 pesos and you can give him $100 and not expect change.(Old Frank the Tank got taken for an extra $25 it seems) One good thing about the Supermercado Central is that they will exchange money for you there, next to the cafeteria...so you don't get cheated on the exchange rate..

The taxi ride from either of the eateries to the bus stop is about 10 minutes at that time of the morning.

You have to enter the Pedro Fancsico Bonó from San Luis. The stop is just a block from San Luis....

Anything else?>

HB

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
^^I would open ya ears to HB^^ He is nought short of THE BUSINESS when it comes to having a nice time in the DR - from experience!:D LISTEN well now...ATB!! Emma :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
May I suggest that you try to change some money at the STI airport before embarking on your journey.
Read the http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/26541-todays-exchange-rate.html?highlight=exchange the day before, to know the going rate.
That will save you a bit of money right there.
Paying in US dollars is a losing proposition.

As Emma mentioned, Hillbilly's info should be spot on, as he has lived in Santiago for so long, that it is rumoured he used to play golf with Christopher Columbus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The problem is that at 4:30 a.m., I don't think the exchange houses are open.??

If they are, then Rocky's idea is spot on...

HB, Have a good trip!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The problem is that at 4:30 a.m., I don't think the exchange houses are open.??

If they are, then Rocky's idea is spot on...

HB, Have a good trip!
I agree that they would be closed, but there's always someone at the airport willing to make some change, and as long as the OP knows the current rate and gets close to it, he would be better off, than trying to pay for transport and food with foreign currency.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree.

My idea of eating at the Supermercado Central was that they DO have an exchange booth there.....Just so you see my reasoning:
I gave the OP a dollar price for a taxi ($15.00) to either of the two places.
Then I suggested that the S. Central might be better since they had an exchange booth.....

Either way, we are both right....

I sure hope we haven't confused her!!

HB

Melora

Sep 5, 2006
WOW! I heard that Hillbilly was getting old but not THAT old! :nervous:

Did you know you guys are great? This is exaclty the info i was looking for. Depending what time we land and how we feel, plan is to take the 8:00AM bus. If we like Santiago, might stay there longer. Thanks for clarifying where the bus stop is, i was going crazy looking forever at maps trying to find "Lilli". Is the Mercado central worth a visit? My only comparison is the one from San Jose, CR, spent almost a full day there just watching the flow of people.

As for money, when I travel, I usually buy enough currency from home to last me a day or two, bring some usd, and once overthere, get some more local with my bank card. This as usually work wonder for me in the past. I took note of the exchange booth, will probably have to use them at some point.

Saturday is going to be a veeeerrrryyyyy long day, wake up early, pack, drive 2 hours from home to Burlingon, fly to NYC then arrive in the middle of the night. Can't wait, this is going to be a wonderful trip.

I promise I'll be a good girl and listen to your advices!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you will check the exchange rate thread, I'm sure you will discover that you will get a ridiculously low rate at the US banks, so forget that idea.
Do as Hillbilly said, pay for the taxi into town in US, and change your US at the change bank in Santiago.
You might want to pass on the Santiago market visit.
It's not a pretty sight.

2 Hours to Burlington?
Where do you live?
Queerbec city?:cheeky: , I mean, Quebec city.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Melora,

Welcome to DR1, your 'everything you ever wanted to know about the DR' message board.

I know you are going to enjoy your trip and only ask that when you get back home that you post a report on your vacation in the "Trip Report" forum. Let us know how everything went and how the food, service and people were. You know, the usual stuff.

Rick

Last edited:

Melora

Sep 5, 2006
Haha! :D No not Beerbec, heu i mean Quebec City. I'm from Montreal. I know we could have left from Montreal instead of Burlington, but in doing it this way, we save almost 500CAD.

I already have some RD with me, about 40USD worth, enough to take a cab and grab something to eat. I will definitly exchange my USD once im in the DR, not before. Thanks for the advice on the mercado, I think we'll stay clear of it.

Thanks for the welcome Rick! I will definitly post a trip report once we're back. People have been so nice and giving valuable infos, it's the least I could do.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Haha! :D No not Beerbec, heu i mean Quebec City. I'm from Montreal. I know we could have left from Montreal instead of Burlington, but in doing it this way, we save almost 500CAD.
Ususally it's the opposite, that the CDN charters are cheaper.
I guess times are changing.
Even if your from Montreal, as am I, you're still a Queerbecker, I mean, Beerbecker, oh hell, what is it again?