a question to residents

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
hi everyone
i have a few questions from residents who currently live in or near the sosua area. what do you think would be safer ,renting an apartment about 5 minutes outside of sosua ..or renting a condo/hotel room inside sosua .the apartment is a privetly owned condo in a condo complex its about 5 minutes outside of sosua .we will not have a car so we will need to use a taxi . we are 2 single gringa's ..just want to know the thoughts of others ..as i have been reading about the home invasions and stuff ...at the apartment there is a security guard i dont think from a security company ..just worried if someone gets word there are 2 gringa's stayin alone the dangers of that .if we rent a condo/hotel room from a hotel there will be security and a safe and so on and will not have to travel by taxi much late at night after partying or whatever ...we have been to this area a few times but just getting nervous with the stuff i have been reading ....any input would be great ..
thanks in advance

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Don't worry.....

Gringa Gal:

I understand your concerns about safety however the reality is that your chances of being a victim of violent crime are less than that in most U.S. and Canadian cities.

Where exactly is the condo you are thinking of renting? When you say 5 minutes from Sosua do you mean towards Cabarete or Puerto Plata? Does the condo have bars on the outside of the units? (If so stay somewhere else)

Be a little more specific as every area here has it's good and bad points. With more information we on the board can assist you better.

Jack

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is it 5 minute's driving or walking.
The name of the project/complex would be helpful of both the intown and out of town locations, for us to be able to give you good opinions of the security.

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
thanks

the condo is outside of sosua towards puerto plata the name is tropicana sur i belive thats the name ...when u leave the driveway from the airport i believe u take a left and its 3 minutes up the road ...puerto chicquito community ..and its 5 minutes driving to center of sosua ...yes there are bars on the windows.....thanks for all ur reply's

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
the condo is outside of sosua towards puerto plata the name is tropicana sur i belive thats the name ...when u leave the driveway from the airport i believe u take a left and its 3 minutes up the road ...puerto chicquito community ..and its 5 minutes driving to center of sosua ...yes there are bars on the windows.....thanks for all ur reply's
It would be a bit inconvenient unless you rent a car.
What is your in town option?
Maybe, as suggested, it might be more comfortable for you, to not be so isolated.

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
any suggestions

well i dont have an in town option yet ...any suggestions ? we are looking fro clean ..and cheap ..anything else we dont care ...lol oh yeah and with either laundry facilities or close to some...as this will be our second week there ..we are commin in march

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
well we were paying 25.00 a day if we get the apartment ..so kinda lookin in that direction ..yes would like a pool but not nessesary if its close to the beach ..this will be our second week there so it will be the relaxing week ...one bedroom is fine as long as the room/condo sleeps 2 seperatly ..
thanks i checked out the link u sent now is tradewinds and el neptuno the same? different locations? close to the beach ? laundry?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
are motoconchos allowed on the premises ? if not you will have to walk out to the main highway at night to get transportation. and from what i've seen at night by the airport doesn't seem very well lit. sorry i'm not a resident but i've been to the tropicana before...

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
ok thanks ...i havent seen it yet ...i dont think there is even a main office or anything ..so i am guessing yes motos are allowed ..but not to sure

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
well we were paying 25.00 a day if we get the apartment ..so kinda lookin in that direction ..yes would like a pool but not nessesary if its close to the beach ..this will be our second week there so it will be the relaxing week ...one bedroom is fine as long as the room/condo sleeps 2 seperatly ..
thanks i checked out the link u sent now is tradewinds and el neptuno the same? different locations? close to the beach ? laundry?
Tradewinds & El Neptuno are different locations, and neither would be in that price range.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To give you the short of it, the options are to pay more to be closer, or pay the same and have less luxuries/space, etc, or stay where you planned, and be a bit inconvenienced for the distance.
Once you arrive here, you can find yourself a motoconcho driver or 2 that you like and feel safe with, get their numbers, and always use the same guys to transport you, specially at night time.
If needed, drop in here and I'll help you with that.

gringa_gal

Oct 31, 2006
thanks rocky

hey rocky thanks !! we will be there a whole week before we need a place to stay so i will check everything out ...are u from rocky's bar and grille? if so i checked out ur website too and may be interested in one of your rooms do u have a pool ? or close to the beach?