Cyber Park - Impressed!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I spent this afternoon at the Cyber Park just down the road from Las Americas airport and on the highway before you get to Boca Chica.

I haven't been there for almost 3 years, so it was a little bit of a shock going back. The place is buzzing, new companies, lots of delegations, investors, a real hive of activity. The last time I was there Hipolito (PRD) was in power and they really didn't put any effort into developing the facility, a huge contrast to what I saw today.

Visited a friend that has a new office and also took a look around "Steams" new 475+ seat call center. What I liked was the fact it was built and run by some really smart local Dominican techs. Steam also have a 800 seat call center in San Isidro free zone.

The new network hub for the Caribbean is underway right now at the Cyber Park and will be very cool. They plan to drill a tunnel straight from the park out to the sea to run the submarine cables. They estimate that they will have around 60 gigabits of available bandwidth when it's completed, which is huge!

They also have a new incubator for small businesses. Right now they have 5-6 businesses in the incubator. The facility is nice and looks like the place to be if your a tech startup here in the DR.

All in all I was impressed, the place seems to be really coming along and they appear to be putting a lot of effort into making it a great facility.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
oh please, rob, ..why bother with computers and the kids can't eat and the public school system sucks, and the public health care system sucks..

..did you take pics? ;)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The thing I consider must be REALLY impressive is their employee transportation system. After all, what is any company there going to do, go to Andres friggin Boca Chica to do their hiring? Maybe Boca Chica, or maybe El Poligono, but either way, it's a hike to bring employees that can do what you need them to do. Transportation was always one of the primary concerns of people I interviewed for a Free Zone company.

After almost 7 years here in the DR, I still cannot believe that Leonel's last government did not buy this piece of land from a "pal" of someone in his government. After all, so what if it is close to the airport? The investors/owners come here once, take some photos, and leave for good. All they care about after that point are the monthly financials.

I DID check on facilities there, and their rents and costs are still too high, compared with other facilities either here in the DR or elsewhere.

How about it Eddie, what's your rebuttal? (and BTW Robert, it's "STREAM" , not Steam - that sounds like a potentially good name for a 900 number company though)