Malaria

M

Maureen

My husband and I are going to the Dominican Republic in April, 2000. We are staying at the Bavaro Beach Resort. Recently, I found out that there was an outbreak of Malaria. I have been searching on the internet regarding this matter for hours. Can someone please advise me as to the current conditions down there? Should we cancel the trip?

We look forward to your responses.

Thank you.

M

Marilyn

I am going to the DR on Feb 4th and I contacted our local Travel Health Clinic (you can find out about the one in your area from your primary care physician). I was told that my husband and I needed to get a shot for Hepititis A and take preventive medication for Malaria. They set up an appointment for us to take care of this. The risk is very low, but I always feel that it is better to be safe than sorry. It is not necessary to cancel your trip. The precautionary measures are easy. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country and we are looking forward to this trip very much. Don't stress about it, just enjoy your trip and take the precautions that are suggested.

P

P.T.

Folks,

The sky is not falling, the risk to you is very low. You just need to take precautions. Please read all the posts, make your own decision. Also, read the linked report.

If I were going to visit in April, I would not change my plans.

Regards, PJT

E

ECH, M.D.

By all means DO NOT CANCEL YOUR TRIP. Please read the various posts regarding malaria. Risk is very low and I think the government is working to eliminate all risks. I have lived here for eight years and believe me...malaria is the least of my worries. I can prevent malaria, there are many other things over which I have no control!

B

becko

I have been going to the DR for 18 years. we are returning Feb 19 for 2 weeks to Gran Dominicus. HHHEEELLLOOO just use your head. Don't do anything there that you wouldn't do at home. I feel everyone should just "take a pill" and RELAX..... Enough is enough

E

ECH, M.D.

There are financial risks and there are health risks in life. When you invest in the stock market, you want to have as much information as possible before you dump your hard earned money into something. Nothing wrong with that. Because when you lose your money....it's gone and maybe for good! Similar analogy with your health. One should have ALL the facts BEFORE they make a decision regarding their health. Once your health is gone...it too, may not come back. All this talk about malaria is a little boring, even to me and medicine is my field, however, those in position need to disseminate the information to those who ask so THEY can make their OWN decisions regarding the risks they are willing to take. Like my friend who refuses to visit me because he is afraid to fly....well, that is his decision and his choice. I think he over reacts but again, it is his decision after he has his facts. Be patient with those trying to garner enough information to make their decisions.

M

Marilyn

Just one more fact. It wasn't too long ago when you needed to be vaccinated before going to Europe and that didn't stop too many. Look into your travel clinic (don't be discouraged because it took me three days of constant calling to finally get through to someone) and they will give you all the info you need. Just a little precaution about your primary care doctor, I got a call from her office last night telling me that I was concerned for nothing because there were no precautionary health requirements for travel to the DR. (This was after I had made an appointment with the travel clinic and told we need a vaccine for Hepitis A and Alaren for malaria) She was surprised when I informed her my findings. So make sure you contact the right source and you will be fine. Have a great trip!