Real estate corruption scandal in Interviu magazine this week

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If anyone gets a copy, let us know what he says.

interviu - portada

The introduction here reads:
"The DR is a paradise. Not only for the mix of beaches, rum and palm trees. Also because it is the promised land for Marbellian builders. A place with kilometers of virgin coast, politicians avid of money and scant police control. A stone's throw from the principal tax paradises of the Caribbean. Can one ask for more? Yes, an influential partner who could guarantee the investments. And the businessmen Carlos Sanchez and Andres Lietor, accused in the Operation Malaya, and and in jail in Alhaurin and partners of godfather Juan Antonio Roca -- found the best: the minister of public works of the country and principal aspirant to the presidency of the Dominican Republic: Miguel Vargas Maldonado.""

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If anyone gets a copy, let us know what he says.

interviu - portada
the minister of public works of the country and principal aspirant to the presidency of the Dominican Republic: Miguel Vargas Maldonado.""

Inetesting...I wondered how this guy all of a sudden became so prominent in Dominican politics. I knew there was a good amount of USD's propping him up...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
what's so strange? Micky Vargas is a low life member of the Hipolito claque...He has been corrupt his whole political life....PPH? Fine, thank you....

Problem is, who will put the bell on the cat!!!

Why is everyone so upset? Like they didn't know he was corrupt?

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Where the heck is Golo right now?

It may just be a case of jealousy too. After all, Miguel (the only honest Customs official EVER in the DR, or so he thinks) Cocco, on the part of Leonel's government, handed Miguel Maldonado the equivalent of US$50 million for the new Aduanas headquarters building on Ave Abraham Lincoln.

If it is publicly known that someone here actually has that much cash in hand, all sorts of stories start flying about. If I had that much in cash, I would probably start looking around for real estate projects to invest in too. What are you gonna do, put it in one of these friggin dominican banks?

Does anyone here know the true story of Miguel Maldonado? Where is Golo when we really need some FACTS?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The funny thing is that this Maldonado guy recently announced his official run for the presidency. I couldn't believe it so like triple checked, but it was him!:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=antetituloPP vAlign=top width=498>(Vargas Maldonado) LANZA CANDIDATURA</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tituloPP vAlign=top>Vargas Maldonado: '?Ya basta de promesas incumplidas!'

..one of the funniest piece of humer I've experienced.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
When Sr Maldonado was the Head of Public Works under Hipolito, one of his most visible "public works" here in the capital was tearing out a 12" concrete highway (Las Americas"), which had been built in the early 1920's, and replacing it with a 1" or 2" deep layer of asphalt, JUST in time for the "PanAmerican Games in 2003. It was "completed" the day before the games began. They are still working on it, including the bridge to nowhere.

If that's his idea of "completing promises", maybe he can promise to NOT lead the PRD off a bridge into the sea......