semana santa, looking for good cities in the center besides santiago

worldholdon

Nov 5, 2006
hey,im new here, i been to santiago before and im planing to go for semana santa. alot of dominicans say its a crazy week, i want to go to santiago but i also want to go to cities like moca or la vega. im looking for good hotels with good prices, i already saw the hotel platino it seems really good since its next to the university, im young 21 and im loooking to go out at night and meet girls. can someone give me ideas on these cities like moca, i need info like hotels,nightlife,best ways to get there, i can drive but i dont wanna get lost neither do i want to get into a accident as i heard the drivers are crazy there. i want to stick to the center, if someone knows the best places to go during semana santa in these areas any insight would be appreciated.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Everybody goes to beach towns for Semana Santa, and some find rivers or lakes to go to.
The inner cites are not where the party is at.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As Rocky mentioned head out for the rivers and beaches. Pretty much any river, beach, pool and lake will be packed to the hilt with people drinking, partying, etc...Be careful driving during that week as there are normally tons of drunk drivers on the roads and many accidents. Actually if you've never driven down there that would not be the week I would pick to try it for the first time.

worldholdon

Nov 5, 2006
can you guys name me some cities in the north end that would be good party spots for semana santa?

Sep 19, 2005
sosua semana santa 2006............

2j3myvp.jpg

bob

worldholdon

Nov 5, 2006
so could someone give me some hotels that are not locked up resorts that dont let anyone come in the hotel in that area which is good quality and near the center of the action??? im booking in about 2 months from now so i have to get some hotels down.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
so could someone give me some hotels that are not locked up resorts that dont let anyone come in the hotel in that area which is good quality and near the center of the action??? im booking in about 2 months from now so i have to get some hotels down.
There are hundreds upon hundreds of hotels in the area.
If you post your requirements, including budget, and which town, you will get some replies with suggestions.
Be aware that Semana Santa is the busiest week of the year, and you would have to reserve a minimum of 2 months ahead, to have a chance at getting a room.

Sep 19, 2005
I think you are right Rocky......a lot of dominicans will hit the beach......but the fact that Playa Sosua was so packed says that many dont stay at a hotel or resort... they just do the day thing someplace......I bet they still go out and party near home at night though.................the saturday before easter sunday we went to some place call Aqua Azul in Mao... which is just a swimming park basically......and as someone else suggested to me once......at the end of the day basically a communal latrine.... ha ha ha ha..............

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ugly!

Anyway, young fellow, please understand that Santiago, at least, is almost empty of the girls and guys you'd like to party with.

Go to Cabarete! Make your reservations NOW. Easter week starts on the Saturday before Palm Sunday and just grows in intensity with perhaps Holy(?) Thursday and Holy(?) Saturday the most intense days. A lot of places will quiet down on Good Friday (at least in the Afternoon).

For another crowd, you might think of Los Montones up in San José de las Matas, or Jarabacoa. It is a crazy week, that is for sure and the less driving you do, the better your chances of survival are!!!

HB will find a spot and stay there all week long!!

worldholdon

Nov 5, 2006
hey hillbilly thanks for the notes but i got a couple questions.

1.when do we have to book the airfare and the hotel or one or the other.
2.ive been to dr before and i don't want to feel like im in a place where i see all street workers a.k.a prostitutes , im pretty adequate to be able to get regular girls there so i want a place that caters to good crowds of dominicans and tourists.
3.well my budget depends on what i get, i would like a good clean hotel typical to american standards (standard bathroom,standard beds and amenities) and not any closed in resorts, i want something i can be free to roam and bring people back. Give me a good set of hotels to consider.
4.should i rent a car? will it make a difference?
5. how are the rules with the curfews

Sep 19, 2005
book now

do you know how to speak spanish?

you would be hard pressed to recognize a dominican prostitute outside of the resort towns. There are many who would have sex with you in exchange for something...thus making them the word you dont want.....but they are just average girls who just cant seem to make enough money in a job...and given the chance they would blend their need for money into a night of something they are not shy about likeing anyway.
but with out great spanish I think it would be very difficult for you to meet and have sex with a dominican who would not fall into your catergory of a "working girl".

thats just the way i see it.

there are many hotels that would fit your description of an american style hotel.....wether you will get american style SERVICE is another story.
renting a car is an option...just cover yourself with insurance...its great to be mobile, if you want to spread out.....if you go to someplace like sosua or caberette...forget the rental car.....

the curfew makes the DR a lot like america.....you being a tourist wont get hassled as much as a dominican might after hours........ I have driven dozen of times well after curfew hours( curfew is a misnomer) and had no issues at all...even as late as 4 or 5 am ........

I really think it will be hard for you to shed your tourist status....for good or bad.......after you have made many trips i tmight get better.......enjoy everyone. be friendly...but dont just hand your trust to strangers there.......dont make any leaps of faith......if it sounds too good to be true....think about it again...

good luck...there are plenty of good times to be had going in with your eyes wide open

bob

worldholdon

Nov 5, 2006
im actually 100% fluent in spanish, i know it to the science, being that im italian and that i took 2 semesters in college for spanish, so im equipped with that, and im a very good talker not gringo status spanish but a european blended one from my italian.

well im thinking about partying hard with local dominican girls in puerto plata and such, yes i knwo about the dangers and about the ex-cons deported into dr that are very conning caues they speak fluent english etc.. yes ill be with a friend who is asian and doesnt speak much spanish, a rental car iw ould want to be mobile in the city itself and iw ould take the taxi to caberete or sosua.

as far as hotels are concerned i just need a good batch of hotels in puerto plata with the sites if possible that are just standard hotels, im not looking for anything special and i need a good timeframe to book the hotels.