Recovering Money from the DR Bank

tanya78

Mar 5, 2005
A large sum of money was left in a bank in the DR, the person on the account is now deceased he has left the money in his daughters name. The deceased and the daughter both have Dominican and American citizenships.

My question is if anyone would know the documentation needed to get the money? and Is there a time frame that this has to been done in? Thank you

tanya78

Mar 5, 2005
Do you know if the bank can keep the money if not claimed with in a certain time frame? If so what is the time frame? Thank you for your response

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The obvious questions: Is their a spouse? Are there other children? Is anybody involved residing in the DR? Has the will taken care of any statutory entitlements of the other heirs?

tanya78

Mar 5, 2005
Yes there is a spouse and other children envoled, none of them reside in the DR. The wife had went to get the money and the bank would not give her the money because it was left in the one daughters name and not the wifes name. The money was put in the bank over 10 yrs ago before the marriage took place. The daughter lives in the US and can not make it to the DR for a few months. There was no Will left or made in the DR.

tanya78

Mar 5, 2005
Ladybird: This is not suspicious, I'm asking these questions because I don't have the anwsers. Getting a lawyer involed in the DR while living in the US in not a easy task. Banks in the DR are different than in the US

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Yes there is a spouse and other children envoled, none of them reside in the DR. The wife had went to get the money and the bank would not give her the money because it was left in the one daughters name and not the wifes name. The money was put in the bank over 10 yrs ago before the marriage took place. The daughter lives in the US and can not make it to the DR for a few months. There was no Will left or made in the DR.
Better see what a Dominican lawyer has to say. In the US, if it were a joint account, unless it was entitled "with rights of survivorship", half the account would go into the estate. As there was no will, the estate would be divided per the rights of inheritance spelled out in the law. As for the account predating the marriage. Whatever rights he had in the account on the day of the marriage became half his wife's.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Tanya,

You missed my point. If the money has been left in the daughters' name she will have no problem obtaining it by the correct procedure - even on transfer.
The wife has no right to this money, have you Tanya!!!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tanya,

The wife has no right to this money,

Based on the following statements by the OP, how can you say that?

tanya78 said:
the person on the account is now deceased he has left the money in his daughters name

tanya78 said:
There was no Will left or made in the DR

As there is no will and the money is in the DR, the wife and other children all have a statutory claim to the money. Hence, consulting a Dominican attorney is appropriate. The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003

I would think that after 10yrs.. a few months wont affect things.. depending on the amount I guess everyone should take a vacation and hire the DR1 Lawyer...M

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
I might have missed something,but if he gave his daughter the money 10 years ago and the account is, as you say, in the daughters name and she is the sole signatory on the account,the fathers death is irrelevant and is completely separate from the estate. A gift once given is gone.