Update on hand luggage restrictions from UK

chacha

Feb 14, 2005
New EU Wide Hand Baggage Restrictions effective 6/11/06

New European Union hand baggage security restrictions will take effect on all flights to and from EU/EEA airports from the 6th November 2006 onwards. Consequently, from this date, passenger hand baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. freezer bag with resealable top 20cm x 20cm). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person*.

Liquids include:

Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams, water and other drinks, soups, syrups, deodorants, creams, lotions and oils pastes - including toothpaste, perfumes, liquid-solid mixtures, sprays, mascara, gels - including hair and shower gels, any other item of similar consistency

We strongly recommend that if you must carry any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics (up to 100ml max per item) in your hand baggage that they should be packed in the required transparent, re-sealable bag?before arriving at the airport

You can still:

Carry in hand baggage - baby food or medicines needed during the flight. These items should be packed in a separate resealable plastic bag and presented at the airport passenger security point.

Pack liquids, creams, gels, pastes etc. into checked in bags that are carried in the hold of the aircraft. These new rules only apply to hand baggage.

General Information on Ryanair's Hand Baggage Allowances

Each passenger is permitted to carry one piece of hand luggage to a maximum weight of 10kgs and with dimensions no greater than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. In order that you and your baggage can be accepted for travel, please ensure that baggage is within the required weight and dimensions to carry on board.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone recently tried to take a laptop (in it's own bag) on top of say a racksack on the plane (from UK airport/DR airport - I am going via Gatwick on Thomson flight) ?

I know they say one piece of hand luggage but even a month ago I saw people going in with two small pieces (on BA flights), so I wondered if it is now becoming easier/more common (a lot of business travellers should be doing that - not counting the laptop bag !).

Any feedback will be most appreciated, thanks...

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Anyone recently tried to take a laptop (in it's own bag) on top of say a racksack on the plane (from UK airport/DR airport - I am going via Gatwick on Thomson flight) ?

I know they say one piece of hand luggage but even a month ago I saw people going in with two small pieces (on BA flights), so I wondered if it is now becoming easier/more common (a lot of business travellers should be doing that - not counting the laptop bag !).

Any feedback will be most appreciated, thanks...

No they wont allow it, they wouldnt let me take my laptop and my small handbag I had to chose which one to take on board - ridiculous