What's happening in the Toronto Area

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
In the DR1 Toronto get together thread, lots of us were looking for clubs and events in Toronto. The Dominican population here is small but maybe we could post upcoming events here.

November 10, 2006
Alex Bello will be at Suba nightclub
292 College Street, Toronto
$10 Cover

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Nikke,

I've been to Suba and the age group is between 19-28. No one over the age of 30. I went with my friends, who were performing and I did have a great time. All your dance partners will be under 28 and maybe under 5'5.

A super mix of music!!!!!!!!!!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
What is ...

Nikke,

I've been to Suba and the age group is between 19-28. No one over the age of 30. I went with my friends, who were performing and I did have a great time. All your dance partners will be under 28 and maybe under 5'5.

Real men don't reveal that info. Inadequate!!!!? ... I know, I know those boots aren't only for walking, LOL!!!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Website suggestion-

Nikke-

You may already be using this website as a source for Latin events in Toronto but just in case here it is. All events are included Cuban, Colombian, Salvadorian etc. Just scroll down to the link on the left that says Futuros Eventos. As well, if the event is within a week or so it's usually on the front page. ToRonTo HisPaNo.com

BTW- I remember you asked how the merengue festival was in July in Montreal and I was the one who responded. Have you made it to La Belle Province yet? You would for sure enjoy Montreal nightlife- Le Cactus on Friday night for super old school salsa and Le Punta Cana (Dominican Club) for well mixed merengue and good bachata would round up your weekend! These are just suggestions if you ever make it to Montreal, Canada's party city.

Chao

-LDG.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Nov 12 - Juan Manuel @ Las Brisas

Juan Manuel ?Heart of Bachata?

Place: Breezes - 24 Rivalda Road.
Date: Domingo 12 of November, 2006.
Value: $10.00.
More Info: (416) 854-1042.

Celebrating the re-opening of Dominican Sundays directly from the Dominican Republic ?Juan Manuel?. Special guest Carlitos Cruz.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Nikke,

Under 5'5"?? Well, as long as they can dance...

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Nikke-

You may already be using this website as a source for Latin events in Toronto but just in case here it is. All events are included Cuban, Colombian, Salvadorian etc. Just scroll down to the link on the left that says Futuros Eventos. As well, if the event is within a week or so it's usually on the front page. ToRonTo HisPaNo.com

BTW- I remember you asked how the merengue festival was in July in Montreal and I was the one who responded. Have you made it to La Belle Province yet? You would for sure enjoy Montreal nightlife- Le Cactus on Friday night for super old school salsa and Le Punta Cana (Dominican Club) for well mixed merengue and good bachata would round up your weekend! These are just suggestions if you ever make it to Montreal, Canada's party city.

Chao

-LDG.

Hi Leslie, thanks I do check out Toronto Hispano once in a while. I also love Montreal too and even though I didn't make it this year, hopefully I will get there next year. I must admit that I'm not fond of the winter weather there, so maybe I won't make it until spring...I know, I know Torontonians are soft...:ermm:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Breezes

Juan Manuel ?Heart of Bachata?

Place: Breezes - 24 Rivalda Road.
Date: Domingo 12 of November, 2006.
Value: $10.00.
More Info: (416) 854-1042.

Celebrating the re-opening of Dominican Sundays directly from the Dominican Republic ?Juan Manuel?. Special guest Carlitos Cruz.

I saw Carlos Cruz last weekend and he was amazing...enjoy!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Darlin Garcia's Workshops - Salsa, Merengue & Bachata

Dominican salsa dancer/instructor Darlin Garcia from Art in Motion was here in T.O. teaching salsa, merengue, bachata. He'll be coming back in February for the Salsa Carnival, I think.

Here are some clips of the workshops.

YouTube - Darlin Garcia Merengue workshop
YouTube - Darlin Garcia shines workshop
YouTube - Darlin Garcia demo dance w Stephanie

You can see video from Salsa congresses on this Web site.

Art In Motion Latin Dancers: Members

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Samyprez,

Welcome to DR1. As this is an English message board please enter your posts in English. It makes it easier for those living in the Toronto area to read. If your English isn't that good don't worry about it as there are members on this board that will help you out. If English is your SL it will help you improve it.

Rick

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Thanks

Me facino el website que tiene los dominicanos en toronto TORONTODOMINICANO.COMEn esta pagina me entero de todas las actividades de la comunidad dominicana en esa ciudad.

This Website is interesting if you can read Spanish. I suppose you can put it through a translator as well.

Thanks!

It's hard to find Dominican events in Toronto because the population is so small. I find the scene is very quiet this time of year as well. The few Dominicanos I know are just coming back from their Christmas vacations

Last edited:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hey Leslie I'm planning on coming this summer to the Merengue festival can't wait!! :)

Nikke-

Chao

-LDG.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Happy New Year Music,

We went to Las Brisas when they had the Bachata singer from the DR perform along with Carlos Cruz. It was a great performance by both but the place was dead. Thank God I had a dance partner. Margaret also came out that night. Saw some of my dominica friends who I have not seen in months.

Maybe it's better now????? Anyone else know?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I haven't been back since that night. It's definately a BYOP (bring your own partner) kind of place.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
gonzaga Happy New Year to you too girl :) Thanks for the updat and you to Margaret. I've tried in the past and each time kind of empty.
I've been busy with work and school so I haven't been out in a long time,
so ladies what's the good spot now to go to? I've been out of the loop.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Music,

I don't know if any spot is hot right now, only been out at a a latin club once since Las Brisas in November. We went to El Rancho for New Year's Eve with friends and my sweetie, nothing great, like any other weekend night. Nothing really posted on TorontoHispano.

Maybe someone else can tell us "What's Happing"" around Toronto!!! Hey Margaret and Nikke any news.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks gonzaga, I figured I would just check in to see if anyone new? The last time I really enjoyed a club was years ago, nothing great here in TO to bad. Like you said the clubs are okay.
My friend is throwing Friday nights at Suite 106 downtown on Adelaide but I haven't checked it out yet with DJ Carlitos.
Has anyone been to El Magnate? Another friend works there but I haven't been there since last summer. Anyone know if it's any good and what night?