Bottled water plants shut down. Nov.6th06

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Hey Canadian Bob-
Whats going on? I haven't heard anything about water problems. Its funny- after the last gasoline shortage, I was talking to someone about what would happen if there were a bottled water shortage. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
What used to be a hopping place, with people lined up to refill their bottelones, is Villar Bros Water, just below Ave Independencia on Ave Pasteur in Gazcue, in Santo Domingo.

Everyone came there to get refills for RD$15 for 5 gallons. The street was always full of traffic. Now the place is dark. (but I do NOT know the reason, maybe they ran out of water, or se fue la luz, or something.)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Contaminated water plants shut down.

Hey Canadian Bob-
Whats going on? I haven't heard anything about water problems. Its funny- after the last gasoline shortage, I was talking to someone about what would happen if there were a bottled water shortage. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

Hey Karen M! I got the following information from "Dominican Today."
It stated (Nov6th, 06) that water plants in the following areas had been "closed for selling contaminated water..." Colonia de Los Doctores; Villa Melba; La Victoria; Ensanche Isabelita.
The Undersecretary of Environmental Health, Luis Rojas refused to give out the names of the water distilleries as it would "....not be ethical..."
Assuming this is true, I consider this to be very serious stuff. This is not the first time that such types of water "purification" plants have been shut down. I recall this happening a few years ago, but don't have the details, sorry... Canadian Bob

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
'not ethical' to tell you where you have been buying contaminated water?

Wouldn't it be other way around? not ethical to NOT tell you?

only in the DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This Happens All The Time Here! And Has Been Discussed On DR1 Before

They close down several plants every time they "TEST". I see guys filling bottles from the public water system by the truck load in front of the Santo Domingo Zoo all the time! If you think that is "BAD" just imagine the water they sell from those small Stainless Steel tanks mounted in the back of those tiny trucks circulating in the "Barrios"! Why sell "PURE" water,when you can sell "TAP" water and make 100% profit doing it?? C'mon, this is the DR! "Phuck the Customer" is the motto here!
I fill my bottles from the "Reverse Osmosis" system at the hospital where I worked fot 10 years. I get really pure water,and save 15,000 pesos a year at the same time!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Actually the last bottle of water I had in the DR was bottled in Aberfoyle Ontario Canada.

Hey Hlywud! Please clarify.... are you saying that you just drink other things than bottled water, or that you drink (raw) tapwater... or that you have some sort of water purifying device? Thanks, Canadian Bob.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
CC is right. This has happened many times before. And nearly every time, the government refuses to name the violators, which I have never understood from the public health point of view. What better way to get these guys to clean up their act than to publicize the ones violating sanitary regs, so that people can patronize the ones actually bothering to do things right? :tired: sigh.

When are Dominican officals going to grasp the time-tested concept that transparency and accountability promote better behavior?

If you can't be sending out inspectors and constantly sampling the bottled water for microorganisms and contaminants, let the info out about violators whenever they are found and let people vote with their feet and money...

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Imagine a DR recall

Does anyone know if there is any batch coding required on packaged food or laws requiring coding that would make it possible to recall contaminated items? I don't remember any coding on any of the water bottles I've used. Oh, and has there ever been a DR recall?;)